U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 10:34 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,533,285 times

Advertisements

I do.

I have just reached the point of getting sick of people demanding explanations about things that are not germane to them or the situation.

In the past day:
#1 Thought I'd save some money on car insurance. Changed companies. Got a letter two weeks later that I needed to pass an interview or my insurance would be canceled. Huh? So I call up and they start asking me all kinds of questions about stuff that had nothing to do with my driving record, my credit score or my car(all of which are perfect). I had to dig up old drivers licences, old addresses, drivers license #'s of everyone I lived with etc. I've never had to do anything like this before to get car insurance. It irritated me to provide private information that had nothing to do with my insurance. I pulled up my old company online, got an even cheaper rate, bought it immediately and then called the new company and canceled.

#2 Renewed a sporting licence in another country I spent two weeks last year jumping through all sorts of bureaucratic hoops to get. Got a call, again demanding answers to all sorts of information that had no bearing to anything at all to do with the licence. Got it renewed but I suspect I'll have to jump though hoops again next year.

I've had this with romantic relationships, friends, work colleagues, managers, parents, etc. in the past. People often want information that has nothing to do with the actual situation. I am tired of providing it or feeling obiligated to. It doesn't happen much in personal relationships much anymore, because I've drawn boundaries, however in other situations it still rears it's head. I'm tired of it.

Anyone else sick of having to explain yourself?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 10:38 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,686,059 times
That sounds crazy! Are you sure you were actually talking to the insurance company and not a scam artist?? I have never heard of that!

To answer your question, no because I never seem to have to explain my actions. Sorry you had to deal with that stuff...what a headache!

Old 11-25-2008, 10:45 PM

2,588 posts, read 4,936,086 times
That first story is just whacked! The second one sounds like some of my experiences in Russia. I think you need to learn to give people the evil eye. Do you come across to strangers as someone who is really friendly and open? Even as a cute, young, blonde woman I was never bothered by men or gypsies while in some European countries - it was my attitude and evil eye. I rock it!

Dealing with nosy friends, coworkers and family requires far more tact than I have.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
That sounds crazy! Are you sure you were actually talking to the insurance company and not a scam artist?? I have never heard of that!

To answer your question, no because I never seem to have to explain my actions. Sorry you had to deal with that stuff...what a headache!
Yeah actually i checked the number on their website and called back a second time to ask why so much info was required. Basically they told me to go pound sand. Then called back a third to cancel. Wasn't a scam and I'm always on the look out for that after my dad had his SS# ripped off a few years ago.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:18 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,686,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Yeah actually i checked the number on their website and called back a second time to ask why so much info was required. Basically they told me to go pound sand. Then called back a third to cancel. Wasn't a scam and I'm always on the look out for that after my dad had his SS# ripped off a few years ago.
That is terrible! I am glad you called back to verify because that is sketchy! What else did they need but a cornea scan and mouth swab...sheesh!

Old 11-25-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
That first story is just whacked! The second one sounds like some of my experiences in Russia. I think you need to learn to give people the evil eye. Do you come across to strangers as someone who is really friendly and open? Even as a cute, young, blonde woman I was never bothered by men or gypsies while in some European countries - it was my attitude and evil eye. I rock it!

Dealing with nosy friends, coworkers and family requires far more tact than I have.
Nosy is probably the best way of explaining it. I travel a lot and have a very unusual, interesting job and people want to know. If you rebuff them it's like you have something to hide and gossip, gossip, gossip.

I used to be friendly and open, however now I've actually had most of my work colleagues tell me I am hard to read, don't disclose much information and hard to get to know. However once they get to know me they realize I'm a pretty decent person and I get on well with everyone. Maybe there is a bit of mystery there that people want to know more about. I just know I'm not interested in sharing my entire life story with everyone who demands to know it.

I guess I had to vent as several things came at me at once and I just have gotten tired of it.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:32 PM

5,423 posts, read 5,842,659 times
I have to do with this with my dad constantly and it can be really frustrating. He understands his business great, but doesn't really understand how film works, so he didn't understand for the longest time and frankly I don't think he does still that you need to have a great reel to put yourself out there and get work as a director. He has this attitude like it's "wasting money" spending it on your own projects, you have to find clients to pay you to do work. But I'm not sure what's so hard to understand, why would anyone part with their money and pay you to do something if you cannot even show or prove that you can do great, professional work? Just as a lawyer has to get a law degree and pass the bar first, a director has to show potential too, and we don't have resumes, we have reels. I must have explained this to him dozens of times but it never really sticks. It's kind of an abstract concept to him, he sorta kinda gets it now, but not in practice. So I always get, "Another project you're doing without being paid huh?" Uhh, lol, yeah just like all other directors, we do personal projects to show our skills and hone them.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:55 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,519,114 times
I've gotten to the point where, if they are too intrusive or too thick-headed, I verbally, and cleanly, given them the equivalent of "the finger."

Old 11-26-2008, 12:16 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,448,595 times
This is what I refer to as "wanting to know the ins and outs of a duck's bum" and it drives me nuts!

It seems that all kinds of questions that should never be asked, that aren't relevant get asked by all the wrong people these days.

It really bugs me when it gets down to medical records.

My medical condition is between me and my doctor. Where it affects my life in other ways I don't feel it is reasonable for little Nancy data entry clerk at the insurance company or roads board or anywhere else for that matter to have access to my medical information. ALL they need is a form from my doctor who has credentials that can be verified indicating that I have passed whatever necessary tests are required.

Recently I was dealing with a government department that informed me that I HAD to sign agreeing that other government departments would have access to my information as supplied to one department because they all share a data base. I was informed that I couldn't request that this didn't happen. I'd really like to know what possible benefit or reason the Department of Forestries and Lands needs access to my banking and medical information.

The same applied when I went for travel insurance recently.

If the information is pertinent to the situation at hand so be it but frankly I'm getting really tired of having to trade personal information in exchange for basic services, particularly given how cavalier some places are proving to be with people's personal information.

Where it happens and I have the option to walk away I do, unfortunately it seems to be pervading everything these days and you can't always just change companies or walk away.

To answer your question, YES, I am fed up to the back teeth with explaining things that are nobodies business but my own.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:00 AM

7,005 posts, read 18,585,738 times
I don't explain myself to anyone. I given the facts, just facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships