U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:09 AM

7,005 posts, read 18,630,778 times

Advertisements

My kids maternal gradmother is a witch. She has only acknowledged and actually preferred to contact her other grandson (my wife's sister's son). She would send him gifts, expensive clothes, toys, she would send for them to California and pay for the whole trip and expenses.
When it comes to my kids she doesn't even ask for them, she would send them a late birthday card with $5 in it. She would not even call to find out if how they're doing. This does not bother me a bit because my kids may not have all of the luxuries and brand name clothes and top of the line toys their cousin gets, but they have 2 loving parents that love them, spoil them whenever is possible and ae always there when they need us. She coming down to see my sister in law for the holidays and she email my wife to go over to her sister so she could see them. We live about 3/4 of a mile away and she will not even bother to come to my house? I told my wife I don't want her to go and I don't want witch in my house and near my kids.
Am I over reacting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 09:14 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,195,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
My kids maternal gradmother is a witch. She has only acknowledged and actually preferred to contact her other grandson (my wife's sister's son). She would send him gifts, expensive clothes, toys, she would send for them to California and pay for the whole trip and expenses.
When it comes to my kids she doesn't even ask for them, she would send them a late birthday card with $5 in it. She would not even call to find out if how they're doing. This does not bother me a bit because my kids may not have all of the luxuries and brand name clothes and top of the line toys their cousin gets, but they have 2 loving parents that love them, spoil them whenever is possible and ae always there when they need us. She coming down to see my sister in law for the holidays and she email my wife to go over to her sister so she could see them. We live about 3/4 of a mile away and she will not even bother to come to my house? I told my wife I don't want her to go and I don't want witch in my house and near my kids.
Am I over reacting?
Sounds just like my Husbands Mother we even call her "The witch"

Old 11-26-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
Sounds just like my Husbands Mother we even call her "The witch"
Witch with a B rather.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:24 AM

13,779 posts, read 23,740,590 times
Everyone knows my MIL is a mean old hag and nasty to me and my kids...not sure what to tell you...I try not to get involved between my husband and his crazy folks and this seems to work...

If I were you, I would let your wife deal with her mother and you deal with yours..that is what I have been doing lately and it seems to work well...

Have a good Thanksgiving!

Old 11-26-2008, 09:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 21,950,038 times
Wow, I can't imagine a grown @zz woman (your m-i-l) acting that catty and picking favorites. I cannot fathom how a woman who not only has given birth to her own kids, but now her kids have grown and have families of their own and she can't love them all? How does Mrs. Cat feel about "mumsy"? Did she feel this bias growing up too?

Old 11-26-2008, 09:33 AM

188 posts, read 428,655 times
Quote:
Am I over reacting?
Stand strong! Remind your wife that it is her/your responsibility to protect your children from toxic people, including your/her parents. If she brings the kids to see "The Witch", then she is acknowledging that her mother's behavior is fine with her. Just my thoughts.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Wow, I can't imagine a grown @zz woman (your m-i-l) acting that catty and picking favorites. I cannot fathom how a woman who not only has given birth to her own kids, but now her kids have grown and have families of their own and she can't love them all? How does Mrs. Cat feel about "mumsy"? Did she feel this bias growing up too?
They do not have the best mother-daughter relationship in the world for starters. Although my wife doesn't show it, she resents her being like this very much.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 21,950,038 times
Quote:
They do not have the best mother-daughter relationship in the world for starters. Although my wife doesn't show it, she resents her being like this very much.
Sounds like Mrs. Cat has avoided dealing with this issue, so maybe the m-i-l is totally oblivious to the feelings she's trampling (or at least she can feign ignorance). I wouldn't do it now, since it is the holidays, and your kids should be able to spend time with the relatives without dealing with the arguing/bickering - but your wife may just have to have a heart-to-heart with her mother and explain that her feelings are hurt by the behavior she's exhibited, esp. towards the grandkids, and ask for an explanation as to the bias she has for her different grandkids. I think there may be something deeply rooted in your m-i-l that has to come out of the closet before she'll consider changing her ways.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:20 AM

527 posts, read 855,782 times
Quote:
I told my wife I don't want her to go and I don't want witch in my house and near my kids.
Am I over reacting?
If you try to come between them you will eventually become the bad guy. I have been in a similar situation a couple of times in my life.

Besides... you have us if you need to vent!

Old 11-26-2008, 10:27 AM

527 posts, read 855,782 times
Quote:
My kids maternal grandmother is a witch.
My mother is becoming that dreaded mother-in-law! When I was younger I thought that she would be the greatest; but old age has changed her.

My mother is very much like Raymond's mother on the TV show 'Everybody loves Raymond.' My wife and I are a lot like the characters and my brother is a lot like Raymond's. Typical Italian American dis-functional issues! At least we all laugh and have a good time.

If it gets too bad... have your wife talk to her (but wait until after the holidays)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships