U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 01:48 PM

2,412 posts, read 6,452,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annville1991 View Post
If 5'9" is the average than why was there so few eliminated from the show?
Wow! Where to start with this one...

First, MTV -- and television in general -- do not perfectly represent reality.

Second, you are falling victim to what statisticians call sample bias. How many of the male contestants on that show were 50 years old? 65? 70? Answer: probably none. And what percentage of them were Latino or Asian? (we know that, statistically speaking, Latinos and Asians are more likely to be below average in height) After all. Latino's constitute 13% of the U.S. population...did MTV have a proportionate number?

And what about editorial bias: don't you realize that the producers of the show selected the people who would appear on it...and, thus, they influence what you the viewer see based upon their perception of what you the viewer want? I hardly presume that the producers of the program allowed anyone on a first-come, first served based to be on the show (have you ever notice how few ugly and/or fat people there are on TV versus real life?)

The AVERAGE includes ALL men; MTV likely only had late teens/early 20's on their show and a disproportionate number of white and black males (and I'll bet many of them were what is commonly perceived among younger people as being good looking: tall, thin, and handsome). What do we know about the height of young men, especially white and black young men? They're likelier to be taller than older and/or Latino and Asian men.

The moral of this story: what we see is not necessarily the way things are. And that sure as hell goes for what one sees on MTV

Old 12-08-2008, 03:43 PM
tao

720 posts, read 2,963,375 times
I'm a 5'10 women and I would say the average man is my height or shorter.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:17 PM

60 posts, read 268,739 times
I would say 5'9"- 5'10 would be what is considered average... but for some reason I find most men around my community are around 5'6"-5'9".

I'm 5'4" and the guy I'm dating is 6'4". Around these "average" guys I wear regular low to mid heels but around him I feel as if I have to wear my higher 4 inch heels to close the distance between us.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:53 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,630,836 times
Quote:
I read here that some people consider 5'8" average for a male. I am that height and I feel that I am short compared to other men, especially men in their 20s and 30s. I have a friend who is 6'1" and he feels only average. This statistical average of 5'9" or 5'10" has got to be outdated and if it wasn't than my height of 5'8" is close to average and most men I see are taller and many alot taller than 5'8".
Average overall height is very similar to the average of a, well, certain body part. We all perceive it to be larger than it actually is. The average height of a male is about 5 9. The average for the "little man" is 5.1 inches. These are through clinical studies. Give the guy the ruler, and suddenly the average man is over 6 feet tall and the little man is 6.25 inches. Kinsey lists 6.25, which was through self measurement. It seems to be in our nature to believe anecdotal over clinical for some reason.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:46 PM

33 posts, read 68,021 times
professonator...thanks for soundly thumping annville1991. Case closed.

For the ladies out there....what makes tall men so much more attractive than short men? I can understand a women who's 5'6" not being attracted to 5'8" male, but I can't understand why there are so many short women (5'4" and less) who are only attracted to 5'10" or taller. Is it a security issue? Are tall men for women equivalent to big boobs and a nice pair of legs for men? In other words, is it a visceral sexual thing?

Old 12-09-2008, 09:59 PM

6,342 posts, read 8,721,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazmoot View Post
professonator...thanks for soundly thumping annville1991. Case closed.

For the ladies out there....what makes tall men so much more attractive than short men? I can understand a women who's 5'6" not being attracted to 5'8" male, but I can't understand why there are so many short women (5'4" and less) who are only attracted to 5'10" or taller. Is it a security issue? Are tall men for women equivalent to big boobs and a nice pair of legs for men? In other words, is it a visceral sexual thing?

That's what I'm trying to figure out! I mean, I can see saying women want a man who is a certain height taller than she is, like if a 5' woman wanted a 5'5' man...but it's like they ALL want extremely tall men. Why would a 5' woman want a man who's 6'2? wouldn't that be awkward?...

And please SPARE ME the notion of "big boys have bigger toys" because that makes no sense what so ever. Do taller women all have bigger breasts? Certaintly not. Same with a man.

As for security...it's the year 2008, and "security" is something a woman should get from herself, and not from the man she's with. It kills me how many of these "modern women" are stuck in an ancient mode of thinking that a tall man is going to be better somehow.

Also, keep in mind that the same women who are saying they will never go out with a short man are THE EXACT SAME WOMEN who would be yelling at a man who said he would never go out with a large woman and call him "shallow"

Old 12-09-2008, 10:03 PM

6,342 posts, read 8,721,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Average overall height is very similar to the average of a, well, certain body part. We all perceive it to be larger than it actually is. The average height of a male is about 5 9. The average for the "little man" is 5.1 inches. These are through clinical studies. Give the guy the ruler, and suddenly the average man is over 6 feet tall and the little man is 6.25 inches. Kinsey lists 6.25, which was through self measurement. It seems to be in our nature to believe anecdotal over clinical for some reason.

SO TRUE! I mean, why do guys lie about their height? It just makes you look stupid. Do I tell people I'm 5'5'? No, I am just honest and say I'm 5'2. So what.

Funny, as a man who's 5'2 I am more secure with my height than a man who's 5'10 and DENIES IT and inists that he's 6'0.

But, without knowing me, so many people would just assume I'm insecure about my height based on my height without even trying to see my perception of it, i.e., I think of myself not as "short", but as the same height as Andrew Carnegie and Prince, and both of them did pretty good for themselves...

Old 12-09-2008, 10:48 PM

3,469 posts, read 7,127,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
That's what I'm trying to figure out! I mean, I can see saying women want a man who is a certain height taller than she is, like if a 5' woman wanted a 5'5' man...but it's like they ALL want extremely tall men. Why would a 5' woman want a man who's 6'2? wouldn't that be awkward?...
Yeah it does look funny....I think I mentioned in a previous post that my aunt and uncle are of those dimensions (5'0 & 6'2). They're happy though.

I don't have any issue dating a guy around my height (5'8). I don't understand why so many short women want men who are like 6'0....although some have told me it is because they don't want their kids to be short. I'd actually be concerned that if I had children with a very tall man our kids would be freakishly tall
Other than that, sorry to say it, but being tall can be very sexy in a man. It is a visual thing, and the feeling that he is bigger than you that is hot (so a 5'5 guy should give that feeling to a 5'0 woman I'd think). A physical presence is attractive in a man too, and height adds to that. Not all tall men are automatically attractive though...there are some who just look awkward and they don't have much else going for them. And short men can have many other traits that make them attractive.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:17 AM

918 posts, read 1,466,456 times
I'm 6'2, and I see a lot of guys taller than I am.

That's all I can say for sure. My personal experience and knowledge based on it, like the rest of you, is based on encounters with less than one millionth of a percent of the population.

So any stating that an average of 5'8 being wrong is wrong themselves.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:18 AM

26,426 posts, read 62,653,352 times
Quote:
I can remember a dating game on MTV in the 90s. The woman contestent had fifty men to pick from and was given several categories to narrow the field to 8 or less. If height was one of her categories she usually would pick height first. Then she would eliminate the people of the short height category and the show defined short height as 5'9" and below. Once this category was eliminated you would see 5 or less people walk off the show. If 5'9" is the average than why was there so few eliminated from the show?

Ummm - because they choose tall people to be on the show?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships