U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2008, 10:21 PM
 
13,779 posts, read 23,684,126 times
Reputation: 7404

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
No, I fully understand. But I don't think these people need to be merely punished. I think they should be treated BADLY.
Our prison systems are in the business of making sure there are punitive damages paid...prisoners are treated badly. Now, are they treated as badly as you would like them to be? That is another thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2008, 10:27 PM
 
25,165 posts, read 48,321,748 times
Reputation: 6957
Prisoners are not treated badly. Cruel and unusual punishment is unconstitutional; however, in prisons there are gang members and crazy people and fights break out and what not.....some are put into protective custody too.

So no prisoners are not treated badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Our prison systems are in the business of making sure there are punitive damages paid...prisoners are treated badly. Now, are they treated as badly as you would like them to be? That is another thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 10:31 PM
 
14,752 posts, read 28,514,549 times
Reputation: 8778
No. No one does, except those who are deliberately malicious to other people. With those types, a "resetting of boundaries" is often needed.

True. Some people are melodramatic, pessimistic or a little obnoxious, but if they are fundamentally good people to you, then you should treat them well. I think it's important to separate their faults from what kind of people they are.

I also want to add that there are some people who think polite or well-mannered people are weak. This is not true, though those people may think so. Teaching them a lesson or two, given the opportunity, is also acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 10:31 PM
 
13,779 posts, read 23,684,126 times
Reputation: 7404
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Prisoners are not treated badly. Cruel and unusual punishment is unconstitutional; however, in prisons there are gang members and crazy people and fights break out and what not.....some are put into protective custody too.

So no prisoners are not treated badly.
I never said who treated the prisoners badly...I have worked pretty closely with law enforcement and have heard horrible stories first hand about prisoner treatment by guards and other prisoners...sometimes those guarding are no better than the prisoners they are guarding...

Anyway, let's get back on topic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 10:35 PM
 
25,165 posts, read 48,321,748 times
Reputation: 6957
Ok. Don't get snippy and snarky. I think most all people should be treated politely and with concern despite their faults. If they are continuously cold and callous then no connection should be made with the person as a means for self preservation.

Is this you?
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum...management.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I never said who treated the prisoners badly...I have worked pretty closely with law enforcement and have heard horrible stories first hand about prisoner treatment by guards and other prisoners...sometimes those guarding are no better than the prisoners they are guarding...

Anyway, let's get back on topic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 10:37 PM
 
13,779 posts, read 23,684,126 times
Reputation: 7404
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Ok. Don't get snippy and snarky. I think most all people should be treated politely and with concern despite their faults. If they are continuously cold and callous then no connection should be made with the person as a means for self preservation.

Is this you?
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum...management.jpg
I was not trying to be snippy or snarky. I was just stating facts. Sorry

No, it is not me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 10:40 PM
 
25,165 posts, read 48,321,748 times
Reputation: 6957
lol I wanna hear more prison stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I was not trying to be snippy or snarky. I was just stating facts. Sorry

No, it is not me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 10:42 PM
 
1,435 posts, read 3,573,100 times
Reputation: 530
I could care less if a prisoner gets treated very badly in prison if he is in there because he committed a violent crime. What goes around comes around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 10:44 PM
 
13,779 posts, read 23,684,126 times
Reputation: 7404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I could care less if a prisoner gets treated very badly in prison if he is in there because he committed a violent crime. What goes around comes around.
This thread has nothing to do with prisoners! I was responding to a comment aimed at me about someone being treated poorly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Status: "Let's be late." (set 1 hour ago)
 
1,774 posts, read 2,418,707 times
Reputation: 1532
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
I am just trying to figure out if I have certain qualities that consistently lead men to treat women badly.

I am not trying to be whiny, I am just trying to figure out if I have some fatal flaw that eventually leads any guy I get involved with to treat me in a negative manner. I have spent the last four years trying to determine where my relationship issues lie and deal with them before venturing into another one. When I finally find someone I am willing to take a real risk with, it turns out almost the same. I just wondered if there was something obvious about me (or even not so obvious) that I am missing.

I know I am opening myself up to all kinds of negativity here, but what kind of qualities "ask for it?" I am just trying to eliminate or pinpoint things that I might still need to work on.
I doubt that you "deserve" to be treated badly, so let's get that out of the way. I will assume you haven't done anything truly horrible to another person. Even if that's true, it would be hard to pinpoint exactly what you deserve based on that.

Now, qualities that can cause men to treat you badly. If you are too nice and show early that you will put up with a lot of crap, there are men out there who will give that to you. It's the old "you teach people how to treat you." So if someone does something minor to you that you don't like, you should speak up about it, not being a ***** but letting him know you weren't pleased with the situation. If someone does something majorly offensive to you, you get out. You leave. You do not forgive. Why would someone stop being a jerk if you've basically told him it is okay for him to do so to you?

Family background has something to do with it, of course. If one or both of your parents had some issues that you grew up thinking were normal, you will think men with similar issues, or perhaps other abnormal behaviors, are normal and acceptable as well. It would be more difficult for you to spot red flags early on in a relationship than it would be for someone in a more stable early family environment.

So be assertive and clear and show your self-esteem is strong. That is the key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top