Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 11:30 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

This is more of a rant, just to get some stuff out that I've been thinking about lately. *Why would a roommate move out in the middle of the night, 2 days before rent is due? They know full well that they're being an ******* by sticking someone else with the full rent and their share of utilities. *Why do people insist on partying at 2 am on a Wednesday? Do these people have jobs? No, beer pong olympics are not considered a job. *Why do people sit in MY living room, talking 'crap' about how much they hate me and my boyfriend and then get mad when I ask them to leave? *Why do people think it's okay to roll joints and smoke weed on MY living room table. Especially when they know I don't want the stuff anywhere near my house. Then, they get angry when I ask them not to. *Why do people insist on using my driveway as a park and ride? It's not a place to store your vehicles while you go party, and my house is especially not a place where you can 'crash' because your parents will be mad if you come home drunk....again. (These people are all over 25 years old). *When I wake up on a Sunday morning to go make breakfast for me and my bf I do not like walking into the living room and seeing 5 people sitting there (2 of them whom I've never seen before, none of the 5 people even live at my house, they're just 'friends' of roommates) rolling joints. I also do not like walking into my kitchen and seeing a 3 ft tall weed plant on my kitchen table. Also, don't get mad and threaten to call the cops after I cut the plant into pieces and throw it away... you do realize growing weed is illegal, right? This weekend I'm going out and buying extra strong security locks for my entire house. Please, feel free to add random rants (or even raves ) of friends, roommates, significant others etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 11:36 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,084 times
Dude, you need to move - seriously.

They are all over 25? Are you? If so, they are holding you back major - the rant (while it is a rant) is very immature.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Dude, you need to move - seriously.

They are all over 25? Are you? If so, they are holding you back major - the rant (while it is a rant) is very immature.
Yes, I just turned 25. I understand it's very immature, but this stuff has happened over the course of 4 years, with many different 'groups' of friends. The most recent one was the first one, were the roommate moved out in the middle of the night, leaving me with rent. I wish I could move, but I get a great deal on rent, have an awesome job and doing the college thing in my spare time. Moving really isn't an option right now, unfortunately.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:44 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yes, I just turned 25. I understand it's very immature, but this stuff has happened over the course of 4 years, with many different 'groups' of friends. The most recent one was the first one, were the roommate moved out in the middle of the night, leaving me with rent. I wish I could move, but I get a great deal on rent, have an awesome job and doing the college thing in my spare time. Moving really isn't an option right now, unfortunately.
Cal Poly students??

Old 12-22-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Cal Poly students??
For the most part, yes. I've been taking Poly classes on and off for a few years (I don't have the money to be a full time student)and a few of my friends are in the same boat, but those are the good people, not he ones I was ranting about. There are a couple of Cuesta Students, and a few that just mooch off of whoever is around at the time. Those are the ones that bother me the most.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:15 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
This is more of a rant, just to get some stuff out that I've been thinking about lately. *Why would a roommate move out in the middle of the night, 2 days before rent is due? They know full well that they're being an ******* by sticking someone else with the full rent and their share of utilities. *Why do people insist on partying at 2 am on a Wednesday? Do these people have jobs? No, beer pong olympics are not considered a job. *Why do people sit in MY living room, talking 'crap' about how much they hate me and my boyfriend and then get mad when I ask them to leave? *Why do people think it's okay to roll joints and smoke weed on MY living room table. Especially when they know I don't want the stuff anywhere near my house. Then, they get angry when I ask them not to. *Why do people insist on using my driveway as a park and ride? It's not a place to store your vehicles while you go party, and my house is especially not a place where you can 'crash' because your parents will be mad if you come home drunk....again. (These people are all over 25 years old). *When I wake up on a Sunday morning to go make breakfast for me and my bf I do not like walking into the living room and seeing 5 people sitting there (2 of them whom I've never seen before, none of the 5 people even live at my house, they're just 'friends' of roommates) rolling joints. I also do not like walking into my kitchen and seeing a 3 ft tall weed plant on my kitchen table. Also, don't get mad and threaten to call the cops after I cut the plant into pieces and throw it away... you do realize growing weed is illegal, right? This weekend I'm going out and buying extra strong security locks for my entire house. Please, feel free to add random rants (or even raves ) of friends, roommates, significant others etc.
JetJockey. It is time for some painful truths, something that I think is occurring to you even as you wrote this post:

Your friends are a-holes. Not just a-holes, but first-class a-holes. Self-centered people who have not recognized that there's an enormous difference between being an adult and being a grown-up.

For being an adult is just a biological stage of life, the inevitable result of physical growth and the brain releasing hormones. Being a grown-up means walking through life with an awareness of the needs of others. So I've seen some pretty grown-up 15-year-olds, and I've seen some 45-year-olds whom I wouldn't trust with a set of car keys.

Now, all that being said, you should ponder this for a second: The first time these 'friends' pulled this stuff on you and the boyfriend, it was their fault. The next time they pulled it on you and the boyfriend, it was your fault. Because silence implies consent, and if you tolerate pot smoking in your kitchen, if you constantly tolerate a bunch of untethered halfwits using your place as a crash pad, then you have given them permission to do so. And letting somebody grow marijuana in your house is inviting a lifetime of misery. You realize that, under the current draconian laws, you could have your house confiscated without trial for your friends' selfish actions, don't you? They've overstayed your hospitality by about, say, 4.5 years. Time to move on.

Getting new locks is an excellent idea. Getting new friends is an even better one.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:18 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
Sounds like it's time for a major housecleaning. I say kick everyone out and start fresh with some real adults who know how to act responsibly.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:20 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,084,211 times
Quote:
A. You keep refering to it as YOUR house but I think, (reading your superlong paragraph is painful) you have/had a roomate so it's "our house".

B. This is what happens when you move in with somebody who doesn't have the same values, interests, experiances as you. You did mention a boyfriend...I hope you're not back in here a few years from now yearning for the good ol days with your then cherished remembrance of your roomate, since you now find the toilet seat up unbearable.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:22 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Your friends are a-holes. Not just a-holes, but first-class a-holes. Self-centered people who have not recognized that there's an enormous difference between being an adult and being a grown-up.

This is 100% correct! LOL! Kick 'em to the curb. Stand up for yourself.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
JetJockey. It is time for some painful truths, something that I think is occurring to you even as you wrote this post:

For being an adult is just a biological stage of life, the inevitable result of physical growth and the brain releasing hormones. Being a grown-up means walking through life with an awareness of the needs of others. So I've seen some pretty grown-up 15-year-olds, and I've seen some 45-year-olds whom I wouldn't trust with a set of car keys.

Now, all that being said, you should ponder this for a second: The first time these 'friends' pulled this stuff on you and the boyfriend, it was their fault. The next time they pulled it on you and the boyfriend, it was your fault. Because silence implies consent, and if you tolerate pot smoking in your kitchen, if you constantly tolerate a bunch of untethered halfwits using your place as a crash pad, then you have given them permission to do so. And letting somebody grow marijuana in your house is inviting a lifetime of misery. You realize that, under the current draconian laws, you could have your house confiscated without trial for your friends' selfish actions, don't you? They've overstayed your hospitality by about, say, 4.5 years. Time to move on.

Getting new locks is an excellent idea. Getting new friends is an even better one.
Exactly! I completely understand where you're coming from. Although, the use of the word friends is quite loose, as they're mostly my roommates friends, and then those people invite their friends over (without asking, of course) and it turns into this big 'issue'. I'm actually in the process of cleaning house right now (I've evicted one one of the roomates recently, and he will be out Jan 1st), and after the new year, my landlord has given us the ability to repaint the house and fix some thing that aren't very pretty, so it'll be a nice change for me and my good roommates. That's what got me thinking about my rant... I was building a project list to give to my landlord (he pays for supplies, we do the labor) and I just started thinking about all the weirdos I've had living with me. We're making a fresh start, though, and I'm pretty excited and happy about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships