Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 05:51 PM

33 posts, read 83,773 times

Advertisements

In may 2008 I graduated with my bachelors in Science of Nursing. Did my family come? NO. I am the only kid to graduate from College. My mom made my graduation about here and demanded that my boyfriend and I ride there with her. We had plans afterward, it was 4 hours away, and it was the first time we had a chance to spend togethor since the baby was born in March. She ended up comming but didnt tell me that she was nor did she make her presence known in any way. My dad and I have always had a strained relationship but they always were interested in seeing us. So then we are at Christmas time. We all moved one state away to get a fresh start. I hadent talked to my mom since the graduation, she sent me a ****ty letter. Had my brother call and say how hurt she was that I hadent called her. And then had her husband call and ***** me out. All of which my boyfriend got on the phone and told them what he thinks of them and how he was not going to tolerate them talking to me like that. I send them an email telling them that my 10 year old would be in Michigan for christmas and if they want to see him let me know on the time and whatnot. My mom made arrangements to see him. No response from dear ol dad. So no chirstmas cards in the mail, no presents for the baby, and no acknowledgement from my Dad about christmas and that we are a part of that family. I want to just have some closure about the way they treat me and write them a letter of anger and hatred. I cant believe that my family did not want to see my oldest this season. what a bunch of *******s. My mom couldnt even get my baby a present. what a *****. i am so annoyed with them. I just want to end this cycle of hurt that they give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 05:54 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,023,591 times
Just ignore them. Cut them out completely. You have to - otherwise you'll be as crazy as they are.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:12 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,327,365 times
Just ignore them. Cut them out completely. You have to - otherwise you'll be as crazy as they are.

wait a minute!!!! is there an eco on here?

Old 12-27-2008, 06:15 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,654,563 times
I have heard..that absence makes the heart grow fonder.
I think your silence would be alot better than an angry, hatred letter.
Let some time pass. Not that this will go away on its own, but time could hopefully help ease the blow. It may give them time to think about the situation as well. Be the adult here.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:20 PM

709 posts, read 1,497,773 times
They could have behaved better, but you don't get to choose your parents, you have to play the hand you are dealt. Since you're no longer their legal dependent, you have no further obligations to each-other, all your interactions should be voluntary and mutually-beneficial.

There's nothing wrong with choosing not to see them some or all of the time. You're an adult now - create whatever family boundaries you want. I find that it's helpful to lower your (and their) expectations for how happy you can make each-other. You don't owe each-other happiness. If you have mutually-beneficial reasons to see them, then do; if not, then don't.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:36 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,582,506 times
There is a thread with people talking about cutting their families because that was the only real solution.

You are not the only one living these things. Be strong, don't let other people trash you and be thankful your bf supports you. And maybe it's time to let them go, or at least to take a good break. You have kids and they can be affected too.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:43 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,023,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post

wait a minute!!!! is there an eco on here?
Cat - are you practicing telekenesis on me???

Old 12-27-2008, 06:52 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,538,456 times
If you have no effect on how they treat you now, it isn't likely that a hateful/angry letter is going to change that. It would probably be more painful for you re-live all the reasons you are so angry on paper as they may just see it as more reason to continue treating you poorly and you will have accomplished nothing. Silence can be deafening. You can get the message across loud and clear by not saying anything at all and moving forward, if you are ready to do that.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:33 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times
I heard someone say once that staying angry at someone is like drinking poison and hoping it kills your enemy....when the only person hurting is you. I'm now 50 and know people my age who have lost one of their parents with so many words left unsaid and so much love not shared. This is the only family you have...so take the high road....forgive them....and try to repair the broken relationships. You can't fix the past.....but you sure can open the door for a better future for everyone concerned, especially your own kids who will want to know your family. I sure do wish you the best of luck and love.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:00 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,929,154 times
I hope this photo cheers you up. Peace

http://www.dymaxionweb.com/kulturedr...t%20Keeper.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships