Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:51 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
...and some professors who build statistical models that accurately predict human behavior.
Yup. Most of us fit somewhere near average on the curve.

Any stats majors want to chime in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 08:55 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
STATS!!! Oh no she said stats! *laying on the floor twitching as memory stats class torments her*

Old 12-28-2008, 08:55 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,766,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhound View Post
i haven't had a hair cut in over a year. I'm trying to grow my hair out.

It is really starting to look long now.

I also been noticing some strange looks from people.

Yes, it is 2008 but i still think there is a small taboo about a guy with long hair.

I have long hair, a gotee beard and around 40.

Maybe the whole package looks odd.

I have a good job, make really good money, yet i'm instanly put into a box.

My question is "do people's perceptions of you matter"
have money ? That does not give you good taste.........if you want a smile , just smile and be clean......and look kool or interesting..

Old 12-28-2008, 08:58 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
STATS!!! Oh no she said stats! *laying on the floor twitching as memory stats class torments her*
Yeah, that. I'll take advanced engineering mathematics any day over stats...Which is why I can't remember the percentages that fit under the normal curve.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:08 PM

754 posts, read 1,448,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
I find the oft-repeated "I don't care what other people think" quite intriguing, because it begs a revealing test question: since you claim that you "don't care what other people's perceptions of you are", do you therefore pass gas in public? Say, during dinner at a nice quiet restaurant? On the elevator at work? During prayer at church? Or do you refrain from doing so because of what people might perceive about you?

The bottom line: *of course* perceptions matter, and all people with control of their mental and/or physical faculties care, at some level, what people's perceptions are.
I don't even know where to begin with this post. Its so absolutely ridiculous to me. I have only one philosophy and that is to treat people how I want to be treated. Do I want to get on an elevator and hear a symphony of farts from the people on there, no. Same for your other "examples". The way you choose to carry yourself has nothing to do with caring about what others think. Its more influenced by the way you're raised. So if you're taught that farting in the elevator is rude, you won't do it. Anyway, choosing to be courteous to others doesn't mean you care what they think. I personally do not like rude people, so if someone holds the door open for me I say thank you, not because I care what they think but because its the right thing to do. Your example confuses doing the right thing with caring what others think.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:20 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Yes. Because they're usually right.
I'm not saying that your experience hasn't been so, but I have seen dozens of examples on this board alone that prove the opposite.

Not to be argumentative, but who are "they"? Everyone? Some people?

Old 12-28-2008, 09:27 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yes, it is 2008 but I still think there is a small taboo about a guy with long hair.
I do double takes these days when I see a guy with long hair too, even though I had long hair back in the early 90s (and a goatee). It's 2008, not 1988 ... guys with long hair look as odd to me as guys who were sporting bell bottoms and elvis sideburns in the late 80s did. I don't know when long hair went out of fashion, but think about it ... when was the last time you have seen a guy with truly long hair, like past the shoulders? People are probably looking at you oddly not because you are violating some kind of taboo .. they're probably just thinking -- wow, it's been ages. If you like it and your wife like it, cool... party on.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:29 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I do double takes these days when I see a guy with long hair too, even though I had long hair back in the early 90s (and a goatee). It's 2008, not 1988 ... guys with long hair look as odd to me as guys who were sporting bell bottoms and elvis sideburns in the late 80s did. I don't know when long hair went out of fashion, but think about it ... when was the last time you have seen a guy with truly long hair, like past the shoulders? People are probably looking at you oddly not because you are violating some kind of taboo .. they're probably just thinking -- wow, it's been ages. If you like it and your wife like it, cool... party on.
It's time for long hair for men to come back in style. Btw there are lots of men with long hair. But I live in LA, the land of anything goes.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:30 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Intersting post.

Surprising how many people have't grown in their opinions.........

Old 12-28-2008, 09:33 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Sheesh guys...it's only hair! Who cares?? If Chow likes it what does it matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships