U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:37 PM

36,446 posts, read 41,617,596 times

Advertisements

I also don't care if my info is public, because if I don't put anything up online that I wouldn't want people to know. If I throw something up online, you can bet it's nothing juicy or confessional, and is stuff that I could care less if people know. Number one, I'm just not that private, and number two, I don't put up anything that would be in the realm of private, anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 05:41 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,791,149 times
I 'm finding more people I know in their late 30s are getting Facebook accounts. I dont have one and am not sure of the allure. At first I thought it was a way to keep in touch (or tabs on) their kids. I didnt understand why email didnt serve the same purpose.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:31 PM

28,906 posts, read 46,568,483 times
Facebook? Heck, I hardly have time for you CD numbskulls.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:05 PM

3,469 posts, read 7,124,802 times
I hate facebook...the design is awful. There's too much crap going on with the apps, and the profiles are laid out terribly. You have more control with myspace, IMO.

On myspace, the "real life" friends I talk to are people I would not see or hear from much otherwise. I don't even know if any of the friends I see & talk to in person have myspaces or facebooks. I've never found any of them, and they never mention it.
I mostly use myspace to meet and talk to people from other parts of the state/country/world that I wouldn't get to converse with otherwise. That's the beauty of online social networking for me.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I 'm finding more people I know in their late 30s are getting Facebook accounts. I dont have one and am not sure of the allure. At first I thought it was a way to keep in touch (or tabs on) their kids. I didnt understand why email didnt serve the same purpose.
Late 30s? My boyfriend's GRANDFATHER sent us each a friend request. He's at least 70.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I mostly use myspace to meet and talk to people from other parts of the state/country/world that I wouldn't get to converse with otherwise. That's the beauty of online social networking for me.
This is what I use forums for. I like the freeflowing conversation on threads more than I do the back and forth of Facebook, for that purpose.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:23 AM

8,468 posts, read 13,599,286 times
Some of us are very private. I don't know why, but saying that you're private has taken on a negative connotation, as if you're being too secretive. Personally, I value my privacy and like to think that when I share information about myself with someone, they've earned the right to know. I don't know enough about Facebook to know what controls you have. Can your friends see who you're friends with? Can they see your friends' profiles or contact them? If that's the case, no thanks. If I'm friends with Bob and Bob is friends with Joe who I don't know, I don't want Joe contacting me or visiting my profile just because he saw me in Bob's friends list. Maybe someone here can educate me on that. But one reason I've avoided such sites is because I see how much time I could waste on them. I sit in front of a computer all day so the last thing I want and should be doing on my free time is sitting in front of another one. I can't view it at work cause it's blocked.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:30 AM

3,490 posts, read 7,362,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Some of us are very private. I don't know why, but saying that you're private has taken on a negative connotation, as if you're being too secretive. Personally, I value my privacy and like to think that when I share information about myself with someone, they've earned the right to know. I don't know enough about Facebook to know what controls you have. Can your friends see who you're friends with? Can they see your friends' profiles or contact them? If that's the case, no thanks. If I'm friends with Bob and Bob is friends with Joe who I don't know, I don't want Joe contacting me or visiting my profile just because he saw me in Bob's friends list. Maybe someone here can educate me on that. But one reason I've avoided such sites is because I see how much time I could waste on them. I sit in front of a computer all day so the last thing I want and should be doing on my free time is sitting in front of another one. I can't view it at work cause it's blocked.
Friends can see your list of friends. They cannot see your friend's profiles.
They can see the one tiny picture along with the name. The picture is so small (until you are 'friends') that it is often tough to tell who it is.

Anyway, I from the tone of your posts it doesn't sound like Facebook is for you. Not to worry, it's not for everyone!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:33 AM

914 posts, read 1,577,380 times
I use both Face and Space and both I use to drunkenly leave inapprope messages to my friends whom I both see or don't see. If you want to stay connected, isn't that a good enough reason to be considered a friend?

I had a childhood friend when I was 10 or so, that up and moved to the west coast after her father won the lottery and found her the other week on Face. It was quite awesome, but was sad because her boobs are way bigger than mine.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:49 AM

462 posts, read 878,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
Don't you think MySpace is better? Facebook has too many applications ...
There are certain things I like about both....

The Applications I hate!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships