Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:05 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times

Advertisements

I think we've all heard (and probably said), at one point or another, "I'd give the shirt off my back for you", "There's nothing I wouldnt do for you", "You know you can call me for anything, I don't care if it's 3 in the morning.".

I just don't feel that way anymore. It's just not realistic. I do what I can, the degree of which depends on the person. But "anything" and "anytime" are no longer in my vocabulary. If it's an actual emergency, I am up and out the door. The rest works on a case by case basis and within reason.

Can anyone relate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 02:21 AM

656 posts, read 2,742,722 times
What would you actually do for your friends?

This

Last edited by HairyandScary; 01-24-2009 at 02:30 AM..

Old 01-24-2009, 02:41 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
LOL....purrrfectly stated.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:01 AM

656 posts, read 2,742,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I think we've all heard (and probably said), at one point or another, "I'd give the shirt off my back for you", "There's nothing I wouldnt do for you", "You know you can call me for anything, I don't care if it's 3 in the morning.".

I just don't feel that way anymore. It's just not realistic. I do what I can, the degree of which depends on the person. But "anything" and "anytime" are no longer in my vocabulary. If it's an actual emergency, I am up and out the door. The rest works on a case by case basis and within reason.

Can anyone relate?
Well I have heard those lines before. But to be honest I never say it, neither do my closest friends.
They only ask for a favor if they really do need it, so I'm more than happy to help them out (I'm blessed to have such great friends)
I think it comes down to what level of friendship you have with people.I won't just drop everything to
help out work colleagues in the middle of the night (unless its an emergency) It always has to be in reason.

But by going on your post PassTheChocolate its sounds like you have had alot of high-maintenance friendships ?????

Last edited by HairyandScary; 01-24-2009 at 05:17 AM..

Old 01-24-2009, 05:28 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Pretty much anything. I just wish I'd had the sense to do the same for acquaintances. I really blew it with an elderly neighbor. Just assumed her family took care of her like my family takes care of our eldery. I lived next door to her for 10 years and about the only thing I ever did for her was shovel her walk a few times. Yeah, I'm proud of that one.

When she fell, it was 2 or 3 days before someone found her (Unfortunately, I'm hard of hearig and just didn't hear her calling for help). That got me to thinking about how I was he neighbor and I should have been checking on her as old as she was. Why didn't that dawn on me before?

My family is weird. We go off and live our separate lives hardly talking to each other but let something happen to one of us and we're sucked together like so many magnets. Then when the crisis is over, back to our normal lives. There's a lot of comfort in that.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:30 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Well, I once had to drive 300 miles round trip in the middle of Sunday night to bail a friend out of jail for public drunkenness so he could make it to work Monday morning for a presentation and not get fired. I got home at 4 a.m. I was pretty ticked off I had to do it, but I did it anyway.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:42 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
I have a several girlfriends that I would call "close". I've known each of them for over 25 years, and I don't think there is much that I would NOT do for them, if they needed something. Mostly though, through the years, we've been a great support network for each other.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:03 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, I once had to drive 300 miles round trip in the middle of night to bail a friend out of jail for public drunkenness so he could make it to work and not get fired. I was pretty ticked off I had to do it, but I did it anyway.
"had to" ?
public drunknenness ?
that's not friendship, that's enabling

Old 01-24-2009, 01:18 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Probably more than I should

Old 01-24-2009, 01:29 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,101 times
I would do a lot for my friends, but like some others have said, it depends on the level of the friendship. For my close friends, I would get out of bed at 3am and help them with whatever crisis was going on at 3am.

I hate asking others for help though. I don't live near family or my lifelong close friends so I had to ask a friend I've only known a short while if she could give me a ride to/from the doctor next month. I'm now thinking maybe I should just take a cab 'cause my friend will have to take off work in order to take me to the appointment. I would do it for her in a heartbeat, I just never assume other people think like I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships