U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:55 AM

3,088 posts, read 7,772,978 times

Advertisements

It is great that human beings are living longer. BUT unless scientists can slow the aging process to where you can be old and still have a sound mind and body I will still follow my initial plan and go some where with assisted suicide or just do it myself once I get to the point of no return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 10:04 AM

733 posts, read 1,720,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
It is great that human beings are living longer. BUT unless scientists can slow the aging process to where you can be old and still have a sound mind and body I will still follow my initial plan and go some where with assisted suicide or just do it myself once I get to the point of no return.
Funny you should mention this, I was just watching a video last night from the TED conferences. Gregory Petsko did a talk called: The coming neurological epidemic

Gregory Petsko on the coming neurological epidemic | Video on TED.com

You might find it really interesting.......

Old 01-31-2009, 10:16 AM

67 posts, read 158,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
As I said, you should call the police where she lives and have them do a welfare check. Explain your concerns and read them the email. If they can do something for her they will ( sounds very much like they can from what you are saying). They can also offer suggestions for what you can do (if anything).
My concern is that they might put her in a pig pen of a nursing home, worse than her condo. She still has about $200,000 worth of assets after all her debts and obligations are paid. She can live in a nice nursing home until she dies (I think she will last only a few more months, if that. She complains of chest pain and she passes out frequently). How do I make sure that she gets into a good nursing home?

Old 01-31-2009, 10:20 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,848,060 times
In many states they have welfare ppl who go in and make decisions on care of senior citizens, instead of kids. If she has the assets, she will pay for the care until the money runs out. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell about nursing homes. Even the best looking places do not always treat the ppl with dignity.

I agree, call the police.. if she isn't capable of taking care of herself then someone needs to help her since it is apparent her son isn't going to. It sounds like she has deminita. My DM was in a nursing home, but she would tell me that she just returned from Portugal or that she was the mgr of the nursing home. It is very sad but at least we knew she was safe.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:21 AM

32,025 posts, read 13,065,121 times
Make a call to the Dept of Health and Human Services!! He needs to spend her money either for private care or in a facility. If he has power of attorney over her money and is not spending it for her welfare, the state will intervene and make sure she is taken care of.

This is so frustrating, I am in this line of work, caring for the elderly. I wish I was there but I too am 3000 miles away.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:25 AM

32,025 posts, read 13,065,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren123 View Post
My concern is that they might put her in a pig pen of a nursing home, worse than her condo. She still has about $200,000 worth of assets after all her debts and obligations are paid. She can live in a nice nursing home until she dies (I think she will last only a few more months. She complains of chest pain and she passes out frequently). How do I make sure that she gets into a good nursing home?
They might be able to take POA away from the son and she would be a guardian of the state and put her in a good nursing home. You could request guardianship yourself..

Old 01-31-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
In many states they have welfare ppl who go in and make decisions on care of senior citizens, instead of kids. If she has the assets, she will pay for the care until the money runs out. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell about nursing homes. Even the best looking places do not always treat the ppl with dignity.

I agree, call the police.. if she isn't capable of taking care of herself then someone needs to help her since it is apparent her son isn't going to. It sounds like she has deminita. My DM was in a nursing home, but she would tell me that she just returned from Portugal or that she was the mgr of the nursing home. It is very sad but at least we knew she was safe.
Exactly. She said she just came back from a vacation with her boyfriend and she had a great time. And that she played golf with friends and went shopping after. It's nice that these pleasant thoughts will at least be a blessing in her miserable situation.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:30 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,836,900 times
OMG this is a horrible situation for you to be in. Call the cops ASAP and call the Department of Health ASAP. Do not wait on this situation ONE MORE DAY!!! Please keep us posted!!! GL

Old 01-31-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
They might be able to take POA away from the son and she would be a guardian of the state and put her in a good nursing home. You could request guardianship yourself..
First, I will try to convince him either to sell the condo or sign a transfer of the property to the state so that she can go to a nursing home immediately. I will give him a week to think it over. During that time, I have to check which nursing home the authorities are going to put her in if I make a non-mandatory report. If she ended up in a pig pen of a nursing home, I would never forgive myself.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:39 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,295,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post

Uh, hello? You can be "old" and still have a sharp mind." It doesn't take a scientist to help people to do that. Sheesh! I thought the notion of, "if you get real old, you'll get senile and crazy" would of been out-grown by now! Aye! Not all of the elderly "lost their mind", mkay?

What do you mean of "getting to point of no return?" Cancer? Other than that, you'll be too busy laying on your bed dying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships