U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,521,763 times
Default Can/Could you live with a Roommate?

A friend of mines has been living with me since the fall, trying to save up for his wedding. Well he's getting married in 2 weeks. I'm happy to see him go. I mean, it was cool to have someone in here- but living with another guy is the worst thing in the world. Especially the bathroom.

I didn't do the college campus thing, so this was an experience for me- how do you deal with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 08:04 PM

42,846 posts, read 53,316,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
A friend of mines has been living with me since the fall, trying to save up for his wedding. Well he's getting married in 2 weeks. I'm happy to see him go. I mean, it was cool to have someone in here- but living with another guy is the worst thing in the world. Especially the bathroom.

I didn't do the college campus thing, so this was an experience for me- how do you deal with it?
You only wait till your future wife moves in!

Nope, I can't do roommates. A few single women I know who bought houses fairly recently got roommates in order to free some funds. To me it's not worth having a house this way. If I can't afford a house alone, I'd rather be alone even in a studio!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:07 PM

13,779 posts, read 16,614,372 times
My freshman year I had the typical horror story about roommate hell. The following year I roomed with a girl who would end up being one of my dearest friends, my childs godmother and after our year together in the dorms, we were eligible to live in the condo style dorms on campus and we roomed together the rest of our college "careers"...

We were very compatible, kept the same hours, had similar interests, had similar habits regarding studying, similar housekeeping styles and we truly enjoyed each others company. It was quite easy after having the looney tune roommate my freshman year!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You only wait till your future wife moves in!

Nope, I can't do roommates. A few single women I know who bought houses fairly recently got roommates in order to free some funds. To me it's not worth having a house this way. If I can't afford a house alone, I'd rather be alone even in a studio!
I think I'll have a better experience with her here. I already know she's going to take over the closet space and change my drab curtains and all, so in most respect I'm okay with it.

It was nice to have some extra funds coming in. I don't need it, but it helped. But you are right, having your own is priceless!!!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
My freshman year I had the typical horror story about roommate hell. The following year I roomed with a girl who would end up being one of my dearest friends, my childs godmother and after our year together in the dorms, we were eligible to live in the condo style dorms on campus and we roomed together the rest of our college "careers"...

We were very compatible, kept the same hours, had similar interests, had similar habits regarding studying, similar housekeeping styles and we truly enjoyed each others company. It was quite easy after having the looney tune roommate my freshman year!
I had roommates (as in A room!) in college, too. It didn't bother me at the time, though... Of course, we were spending a lot of time with the BFs and one of my roommates was just priceless 'cause she was living with her BF and only kept this place to pull wool over her parents' eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
I think I'll have a better experience with her here. I already know she's going to take over the closet space and change my drab curtains and all, so in most respect I'm okay with it.

It was nice to have some extra funds coming in. I don't need it, but it helped. But you are right, having your own is priceless!!!
You know, I've come to the conclusion apartments (particularly older ones; at least here) have more storage space than houses! My 2-BR apartment had a walk-in closet + 4 other closet. Even my 1-BR had a lot of space. None of the houses did, including my current one. It's 3/2, so it supposedly for a family... I've no room for anybody else's stuff in my closets!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:16 PM

17,788 posts, read 16,860,694 times
Roommates were fine when I was younger and didn't make enough money to cover the rent. As soon as I could, I bought my own house. No roomies for me, since then. (Excluding hubby and kid of course!)

Old 03-02-2009, 08:19 PM

8,002 posts, read 13,023,795 times
Only if it was Artsy.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I had roommates (as in A room!) in college, too. It didn't bother me at the time, though... Of course, we were spending a lot of time with the BFs and one of my roommates was just priceless 'cause she was living with her BF and only kept this place to pull wool over her parents' eyes.

You know, I've come to the conclusion apartments (particularly older ones; at least here) have more storage space than houses! My 2-BR apartment had a walk-in closet + 4 other closet. Even my 1-BR had a lot of space. None of the houses did, including my current one. It's 3/2, so it supposedly for a family... I've no room for anybody else's stuff in my closets!

I have 2 deep closets in my bedroom. One is a walk-in. My house is older, I think the newer ones' closet space is probably a lot tighter.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Only if it was Artsy.
What are ya - the queen of the masochist tribe?!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:23 PM

13,779 posts, read 16,614,372 times
Quote:
My first roommate was severely mentally ill. By spring break her parents had to withdraw her from school for her "behavior" ...poor thing had a terrible eating disorder but then she would become quite violent and delusional, accusing profs of raping her, stalking her, trying to run her over in their cars, called 911 and told them the dorm was on fire and hundreds of folks were trapped...it was terrible. The other suite mates and I were afraid to go to sleep at night...she was later diagnosed schizophrenic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships