U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 08:00 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,243,982 times

Advertisements

When they see me I think they see a tall good looking man who is a right wing conservative who looks like he is arrogant. Some women think I want to sleep with them because when I talk I give eye contact. Truth is I am a middle of the road type of person who enjoys complementing and criticizing both the left and right. As far as women thinking I want to bed them, they are dreaming. I love my wife and believe in monogamy. In fact I would not sleep with any woman until I knew she cared about me. I really am an enigma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 11:19 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,236,781 times
Most people notice I'm very quiet, but can be outgoing if I want to (if I have enough in common with someone, or if I'm in a talkative mood). I don't open up to many people. A lot of people have always told me I'm an old soul stuck in a young body.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:33 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,415,427 times
I think you're nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I think the impressions are split between extremes with me. People either find me really intimidating or pretty much harmless. Really friendly or really antisocial.

However, everyone thinks I'm eccentric.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:36 PM

55,663 posts, read 74,604,692 times
depends on if i see them coming.
signed
the chameleon.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:04 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,016,442 times
A lot of people think I am really stuck up , I think because of my accent which in England immediately sets me as "upper class" and thus puts me in the "must be snooty-snobby" category.

I am also very shy and socially rather awkward so I can be extremely quiet and the louder the people around me the quieter. However once roused and provoked I can also be quite vocal about my views which people also do not like . I am extremely direct with people and honesty is not always seen as a virtue in social interaction... I loathe hypocrisy, one of my absolute no-no.

I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't swear, have no interest in drugs, no interest in shopping or consumerism, celebrities, money, and yet am a staunch Atheist so people do get a bit confused sometimes.

I think my interests tend not to be what others are ( travelling, reading,Politics, social activism, the Theatre, the Arts, Opera, music, Polo etc..) which once again puts me in the snooty category even though I am always the one expressing an interest in other people's lives.

I can make ( and have) made friends with people from all walks of life , races, faiths, countries but Westerners are the hardest nuts to crack in my experience as they judge you without even trying to see beyond their prejudices.

So I remain loyal to a very small bunch of people who have had the intelligence to give me a chance. I think a lot of people also think me unfeeling as my emotions though they run deep are something I tend to keep to myself. I am a really big softie at heart but logic is hugely important to me and I prefer rationality to saccharine superficiality.

I always find I can be comfortable with almost anyone as long as they give me a chance but it never goes both ways somehow...

I always try very hard to take people as they are and always to try and let go of any prejudices and preconceptions. I will always try to give someone a fair go no matter what they look or sound like and never judge a book by its cover. The courtesy however is rarely reciprocated.

People sorely misjudge me because of their preconceived ideas and in the end it is their choice. I have learnt not to let it bother me anymore. If people want to think something which is completely wrong about me then so be it. Their loss. Life is too short to worry about such petty concerns.

I would rather have one loyal and true friend than a hundred false ones.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:26 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,152,124 times
I give too much the impression at first sight of being "Mr. Nice Guy" but I seldom feel like one, so I feel obliged to use restraint, stop smiling and make a longg face or even be downright nasty sometimes to avoid being harassed by "well meaning" people!

Old 06-29-2009, 07:35 AM

7,339 posts, read 16,639,547 times
Some people don't like my humor at all while others do! I can be quite sarcastic and arrogant in my humor......wife loves it and laughs her butt off, while others just give me a look. Many people in church just think that I'm too funny/sarcastic and don't really like it. All I say is "Oh well!"

Old 06-29-2009, 07:41 AM

647 posts, read 1,851,113 times
I don't really have any idea what people's first impression of me is, but I would venture a guess that "they" would think I'm a little on the quiet side.

That's not really true about me though. At first, I may be sort of quiet as I "assess the situation" but then, after a little while, I will talk people's heads off. You just have to break through my first layer of defense.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:14 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,041,896 times
People get the impression that I'm not an easy woman to deal with and many are intimidated by me. I do like that image and cultivate it to a certain degree. It keeps all the blabbermouths at bay.

I obviously emit that I'm not a peace-at-any-price person, and it only gets "worse" the older I get. I'm pretty straight forward, so nobody needs to tiptoe around me and guess what I may be thinking. I loathe when people badmouth, cheat, lie, try to exploit or manipulate me or others (which seems to be the favorite pastime of some and they don't even realize it). I also have an aversion for sticking to old traditions no matter what, tend to be a bit sarcastic and have a very wry humor. Oh well, I think I'm a dyed-in-the-wool urban Northern European.

But once those very few I invite into my life get to know me, they are surprised how kind and caring I can be. Several friendships last since decades. We actually use to joke about how successfully I am hiding that little soft spot of mine.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:56 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,499,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Most of the time when I become friends with someone they tell me they thought I was stuck up when they first met me. I tend to be on the shy and quiet side at first but once you get to know me I don't shut up so easily. Also, if I'm deep in thought I don't see or hear anyone, so I'm sure that doesn't help. So how do people think of you when they first meet you?
I've heard everything from me being stuck up, to me being funny, to me being evil or mean as hell, which I hear the latter a lot. I don't smile often, and I almost never have a 'pleasant' look on my face, so people have always labeled me mean as hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or