U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:35 PM

718 posts, read 1,453,970 times

Advertisements

I don't know if its a sign of me getting older or what, but I've had this desire to try to get in touch with old buddies. I talked to buddy that I served in the Army with back in 2000-01, but our plans to get together fell apart. For whatever reason, he never called or emailed back. No big loss, I've got a wife,kids, house, and nursing school. So, too much on my plate to get in a twist over an old buddy standing me up. However, I got to thinking...is it common for people to make good friendships for a period of life, then move on and the friendship just disappears? Do we really change that much over the years, or friendship just a temporary thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 05:40 PM

25,976 posts, read 32,984,687 times
Of course it's not temporary. You've never heard of lifelong friends?
I moved to the area where I am now, over 30 years ago. I definitely have good close friendships that go back 30 years. My oldest friends are really my closest ones.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:09 PM

15,564 posts, read 36,552,323 times
Most of my dance friends I've known since we were in grade school.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:14 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,359,150 times
Two of the most abused words in the English language: Hero and friend, but for this post I'll only talk about friends most often mistaken for only acquantances. for instance you have a list of 'friends' in your profile, people who, in general, you hardly know at all.
A friend to me is someone you know extremely well, will not judge you, is alway there to listen and is always there for you no questions asked and vic versa.
That said I can I have been friends with a couple since the early seventies, a woman I have been friends with for 20 years, another for 35 or so years and several others I was friends with for varying periods of time. Yes friends, in general, do come and go. Often following a change in jobs, change in marital status, move to another area etc. friends often fade away over time.
I have the four good friends mentioned above, 3 despite hundreds of miles apart and consider myself lucky to have that many.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:24 PM

9,761 posts, read 3,030,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
I don't know if its a sign of me getting older or what, but I've had this desire to try to get in touch with old buddies. I talked to buddy that I served in the Army with back in 2000-01, but our plans to get together fell apart. For whatever reason, he never called or emailed back. No big loss, I've got a wife,kids, house, and nursing school. So, too much on my plate to get in a twist over an old buddy standing me up. However, I got to thinking...is it common for people to make good friendships for a period of life, then move on and the friendship just disappears? Do we really change that much over the years, or friendship just a temporary thing?
Hey there! I think only you can decide which relationships are worth your effort and which aren't. We've all made connections with people and then let those same people slip out of our lives for whatever reason. If you truly treasure those memories and that person then seems like you should make the effort, right? No brainer.. even if it means you're making more of the effort sometimes than the other person. We all get into our funks and sometimes one of us in the relationship does more work than the other.. no problem. You know, I also served in the Military and had similar experiences with Army buddies.. I've managed to keep in contact with most of the people who were very important to me but I've got this one friend who treasures the relationships he formed during that time.. as much as I do, no doubt.. but puts zero effort into staying connected. Which blows my mind.. I mean how are you going to treasure something like that and then watch it waste away.. but people do it! Again, my advice would be to put in the effort.. if it's that important to you. If it's not.. then don't sweat it.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:35 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,359,150 times
RBryant questions if it's a sign of getting older to "'have a desire to look up old buddies".
We are all getting older from the day we are born, but getting old(?) - - - - is better than the alternative. At 71 I consider myself as approaching getting old. On the other hand I get the impression Bryant is in his late 20s or 30s and a long, long, loooooong way from getting old.
As for the subject, 2 or 3 years ago I started to think about many people I've known, some back to high school or college days. Where are they now, are they alive, what have they done throughout their lives, etc. etc.?
I spent some time e-mailing, writing letters, intellus search, callng various people and finally learned from a previous high school acquantice the person I was looking up married, moved from Massachusetts to LA, divorced and died of cancer before she was 30. - So sad, she was such a wonderful gal. I haven't tried looking up others since, but still have the thought in my mind; still wondering about various others - maybe a sign of my approaching getting old.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:57 PM

64 posts, read 450,933 times
I think some friendships are temporary and some are permanent. It depends on location and the laziness of people. I think some people are too lazy to respond nowadays to texts or phone calls. I've had too many people come and go throughout my life and it seems as though it will continue that way. I've only had 1 friend who's remained constant since we were 4 (i'm almost 21).

Old 03-18-2009, 07:07 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,012,722 times
When we take a trip down sentimental alley, we often tend to remember the good times between friends and the moments that we enjoyed the most. We forget the reasons why we lost touch with them in the first place. Sometimes there's a good reason why we left them behind or vice versa. I have several friends I still remain in touch with on a regular basis from childhood. It's great, because it's like having another set of brothers who have known us all our lives and we've watched one another grow. However, I have some friends who we each swore to stay in touch over the years but haven't. I'm guessing the bond just wasn't all that strong to maintain an ongoing friendship. People come and go from our lives, enjoy the good times and don't dwell too hard on the ones who have drifted.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:11 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,463,108 times
I've always been good at keeping in touch. I still keep in touch with one of my friends from second grade. The way I see it, I didn't invest all this energy in a friendship just to see it peter out once I move away

I think men have an easier time picking up after a long time of not talking. I might not talk to one of my friends for a year--we get busy, school, work, whatever--but when we meet up again it's like we saw each other last week. I've heard that this isn't as common with women.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:52 PM

718 posts, read 1,453,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
RBryant questions if it's a sign of getting older to "'have a desire to look up old buddies".
We are all getting older from the day we are born, but getting old(?) - - - - is better than the alternative. At 71 I consider myself as approaching getting old. On the other hand I get the impression Bryant is in his late 20s or 30s and a long, long, loooooong way from getting old.
As for the subject, 2 or 3 years ago I started to think about many people I've known, some back to high school or college days. Where are they now, are they alive, what have they done throughout their lives, etc. etc.?
I spent some time e-mailing, writing letters, intellus search, callng various people and finally learned from a previous high school acquantice the person I was looking up married, moved from Massachusetts to LA, divorced and died of cancer before she was 30. - So sad, she was such a wonderful gal. I haven't tried looking up others since, but still have the thought in my mind; still wondering about various others - maybe a sign of my approaching getting old.

Well, you're getting close. I'm 37 to be exact. Maybe "getting older' was a poor way to put it. Perhaps nostalgic would be more appropriate. It just seems like yesterday that I was hanging out with my old friend and I notice its been seven or eight years now. I'm continually amazed at how time passes by, especially when you have a career, children, home,etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships