Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 02:08 PM

973 posts, read 3,303,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Does anybody know people or a person that will take words out of context or take something you said and use it against you at a later time? Then it leaves you just standing there pondering and feeling attacked.

What do you think of people who do that? Why do they do that?

I've met a handful of people that do this. I'm being as nice and sincere as possible about whatever random interaction then out of nowhere they will use something I said to another person at a prior time against me to contradict me or they will use my own words against me by taking it out of context, changing the tone, and seem to be grinding an ax. Other people will use my disagreements or criticism of another against me at a later time.

argh, all I can say is how frustrating that is.

If somebody has a problem I'd rather them discuss it, than use my words against me to harm me or guilt trip me. That is my opinion.
I know a couple people like you describe.
Dealing with them is like frenching a Hoover. They suck the life out of you.

The best thing is to avoid them but if that isn't possible, keep the conversation light and benign. With folks like this, every word that tumbles from your mouth is picked up, weighed and pocketed to use as ammunition at a later date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 02:35 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,715,739 times
Here is the correct formula:

manipulation + emotional problem = severe mind games

Old 03-26-2009, 02:38 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,082,598 times
Quote:
Does anybody know people or a person that will take words out of context or take something you said and use it against you at a later time? Then it leaves you just standing there pondering and feeling attacked.

What do you think of people who do that? Why do they do that?

I've met a handful of people that do this. I'm being as nice and sincere as possible about whatever random interaction then out of nowhere they will use something I said to another person at a prior time against me to contradict me or they will use my own words against me by taking it out of context, changing the tone, and seem to be grinding an ax. Other people will use my disagreements or criticism of another against me at a later time.

argh, all I can say is how frustrating that is.

If somebody has a problem I'd rather them discuss it, than use my words against me to harm me or guilt trip me. That is my opinion.
Out in the dating world I discovered Guys would twist anything I said around to make me look bad to women they were interested in. This happens ALL THE TIME gender-gender from what I've gathered. We're all just a bunch of backstabbing primates all looking to move our genes on!!

Old 03-26-2009, 02:40 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
I'm so so glad that I am not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
Out in the dating world I discovered Guys would twist anything I said around to make me look bad to women they were interested in. This happens ALL THE TIME gender-gender from what I've gathered. We're all just a bunch of backstabbing primates all looking to move our genes on!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Here is the correct formula:

manipulation + emotional problem = severe mind games
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
I know a couple people like you describe.
Dealing with them is like frenching a Hoover. They suck the life out of you.

The best thing is to avoid them but if that isn't possible, keep the conversation light and benign. With folks like this, every word that tumbles from your mouth is picked up, weighed and pocketed to use as ammunition at a later date.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:06 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
Quote:
I'm so so glad that I am not alone.
We're here for you!

Old 03-26-2009, 05:25 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Please hold me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
We're here for you!

Old 07-15-2016, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 7,640 times
Exclamation I have a question about this

I am one of these people you are describing . But what if that's the only way you can defend yourself ? When your actions are different from your words ,you just can't deals. You go by people's actions right ? Well then why aren't your words the same ?? Model the behavior you want . But really I want to know . I don't like to be this way but like I said it's the only way .

Old 07-16-2016, 07:17 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Never happened to me.

Most people don't remember what I said previously.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:28 PM

28 posts, read 81,211 times
It's passive aggressive for a person to do this. They might justify it by saying they're "playing the devil's advocate" or whatever their rationale, but basically, they're not on your side and are refusing to see where you're coming from. This sometimes can be because they are incapable of understanding and it's just easier to blow it (and you) off. Sometimes they're just mean people--immature bullies. Sometimes it works to say "Wow. I can see you really don't know me. I'd never say something like that to you." Turn your back and walk away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships