Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:08 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times

Advertisements

Hey - we call them Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and Cherry Poppin' Daddies, but are they really our daddies???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 02:43 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I think I called my mother "Mommy" when I was a wee tot, but usually "Mom". I learned at a very young age to NEVER call her "Ma." I think it came from the Ma and Pa Kettle movies. She threatened us kids that if we ever called her "Ma" we'd get our mouthes washed with a bar of soap. We believed her. It was right up there with the other "bad words" that we didn't dare utter.
LOL...funny!!!!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:45 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
I call my mother Mom, Ma, Mami. My dad was Papi. It's an Hispanic thing. Funny enough, we call other women and men Mami and Papi, but then it a term of endearment, like "honey" or "sweetie", not a father/mother thing. A couple of my Caucasian boyfriends were confused.

My son calls my mother and father, mama and papa. He'd sometimes go short and call her mom, but it's not that he's calling her his mother, it's just short for mama. Same boyfriends would look at me sideways at first, wondering why my son was calling her mom. LOL.

That said, when adult non-Hispanic people call their mothers "Mommy", I find it a little strange myself. But to each their own.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:58 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
My SIL would say daddy and mother when she was growing up It made it easier for her kids to know who she was talking about. Her mother was grandmother to the kids and my mom was grandma to them.

MY BIL's family had nicknames for each kid. Sis, Bud, Peewee. You had to know which one they were talking about.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:22 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I know a few people who call their father "daddy" but not their mothers "mommy"...nontheless, IMO, it sounds a bit creepy...
This is a telepathic thread.

I know a woman in her mid-40s, a professional (though a bad example of that term), who calls her father, in his mid-70s, "daddy."

Within the last year, our friendship fizzled. I am ecstatic that it did...there were all kinds of boundary issues on her part. I turns out her family, and all its dynamics, is creepy. Another friend of mine told me that people are often stunted at that point in time when some abuse/trauma occurred. With the chick who says "daddy, daddy," I could definitely see it...and good riddance to her!

Old 03-30-2009, 03:36 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Makes me wonder what culture they are from. I am in North Carolina, and seemingly, many people refer to their father as 'Daddy'. They may not call him that in conversation, but when talking to someone else about them.

Usually, around here, 'Momma' is used for the mother.

My kids still call me Mommy. They are 13 and 15. I know that when they stop, it will be a sad day...

I called my mother Mommy til I was about 9 or so.

Again, I just wonder if it is this way in certain cultures more so than in others.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:44 PM

943 posts, read 2,280,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFOR View Post
She might have a few friends from work. Is VERY clingy on family members. In the 20 yrs that I have known her, have never met a date of hers. Has never had a boyfriend in that time.
There are people like that, I have a SIL who has never gone on date, man or woman, and friend who is 42 and her only date, was one I sent her on, and that is it for her entire life.

Some people are pretty close to family.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:45 PM

943 posts, read 2,280,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
This is a telepathic thread.

I know a woman in her mid-40s, a professional (though a bad example of that term), who calls her father, in his mid-70s, "daddy."

Within the last year, our friendship fizzled. I am ecstatic that it did...there were all kinds of boundary issues on her part. I turns out her family, and all its dynamics, is creepy. Another friend of mine told me that people are often stunted at that point in time when some abuse/trauma occurred. With the chick who says "daddy, daddy," I could definitely see it...and good riddance to her!
I think in Southern culture it is ok for grown woman to call father Daddy, but its not done so much up north here.

It can be innocent or mean something creepy!

Old 03-30-2009, 03:54 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Oh, whose your daddy, whose your daddy!

Old 03-30-2009, 04:18 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,742,666 times
My DH has crazy cousins who are in their late 50's that call them Mommy and Daddy. Ewwwww
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships