Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:17 PM

11 posts, read 21,677 times

Advertisements

My brother, who is fifty five, went through a phase a few years ago when he tried to contact many of his closest friends from High School and College years. During these years he was very close to a few people and they were very important to his life. But he moved away and lost touch.

Now almost forty years later he tried to re-connect. He got together with most of them and I suspect they were as disappointed in him as he was with them. The chemistry was not there and people had changed.

If you get together with people from your past, was the chemistry still there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 05:56 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,660,340 times
sometimes the chemistry is there, other times its not.

its still fun to reconnect with folks from the past, but always with the understanding that time changes people.

luckily i held onto friends(the really special ones) from my childhood, HS and Post HS life. its been great. people have come and gone and come, and we all seemed to get along. everytime we reconnect something is new and fresh.

i have had a lil of both and for the most part we all got along fine. there were a few people that i reconnected with that they just didnt seem to be up for hanging with old friends. it was fine in that instance as well.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:11 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,414,669 times
I'm in my 30s.. I think it's funny as hell to run into peep I haven't seen since childhood.. trying to figure out how you are the same and how you're different. I like it.. unless the person is a drag but that goes for anyone, really.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:17 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,424,534 times
I am 42 and I am still in touch with my friends from gradeschool and high school. I went to all 8 years with the same group with my gradeschool friends. We used to just exchange emails and phone calls now we have Facebook.

The high school I went to is in the same town I lived in for years afterward, my family still lives there so its easy to stay in contact with them. I also used to go to Alumni weekend at the high school when I lived in town.

When I was back in Keene over Christmas, I stayed part of the time with one of my friends from high school, and again we now have Facebook to keep in contact.

We are all different now but our past keeps us tied together.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:19 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,929,154 times
Wow, you are miss popularity all of a sudden. Would you like a first place trophy for that huge accomplishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I am 42 and I am still in touch with my friends from gradeschool and high school. I went to all 8 years with the same group with my gradeschool friends. We used to just exchange emails and phone calls now we have Facebook.

The high school I went to is in the same town I lived in for years afterward, my family still lives there so its easy to stay in contact with them. I also used to go to Alumni weekend at the high school when I lived in town.

When I was back in Keene over Christmas, I stayed part of the time with one of my friends from high school, and again we now have Facebook to keep in contact.

We are all different now but our past keeps us tied together.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Wow, you are miss popularity all of a sudden. Would you like a first place trophy for that huge accomplishment
I've always been Miss Popularity and no, a trophy isn't necessary.
Sarcastic much??

Old 04-01-2009, 09:17 PM

900 posts, read 1,701,583 times
I am a woman of 35 as are my old high school friends (age 35) I googled one and she looked like Pam Anderson, Too tan, dry/wrinkly and fake boobs, some might find that attractive , but I though it was kind of gross and trailer park. I guess Im being catty b/c Id think men would prefer that to a little chubby which Ive become .

Old 04-01-2009, 09:25 PM

900 posts, read 1,701,583 times
oh, sorry I didn't read the question, I seem to be one of the few who do not live in the city we grew up in so I rarely , if ever run into anyone. About 9 years ago , I was visiting and I did run into a girl who was geeky in high school but did things "perfect" and whom guys always like. (Guys at my school had a thing for boobs, Im guessing all HS guys did) so she had them and didn't have problems w/ guys. So I ran into her after I had just gotten engaged and she had just gotten married and couldn't stop talking about her new husband. I just listened and didn't even mention my engagment becasue I felt like she was lame and thought her marriage was a real accomplishment. Same as she was when we went to school together, simararities between her and I , but not exactally on the same wavelength. I was really not on the same wavelength with many people in school so I made friends with someone older from another state (male, homosexual) , we are still in touch over 20 years later and when I visited him a few years back, same relationship. Just a little strained b/c he couldn't understand why I was taking time off work. (I had the financial security to take a break , of course now I wish Id worked and had some money from that time, oh well.) and I couldn't understand why he drank so much , but 95% same relationship. Still my BFF.

Last edited by maddog1; 04-01-2009 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: said 30 rather than 20

Old 04-01-2009, 10:25 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times
Yes, I have done that in recent years, myself, though not aggressively.

But my biggest maladjustment was with my best friend from high school. We were almost joined at the hip. We ended up with our own lives (marriage) and lost contact for a couple of decades. When we met up in '94 it was a disaster. She'd been through a lot and she seemed so very different. I'm sure I did to her, too. Then she contacted me again a few years later and we managed to re-establish a friendship again, although we are still radically different. It's interesting.

The childhood friends and classmates that I would like to see most of all are among the ones I can't locate. There have been several people who either emailed me, or sent me a 'nudge', from the likes of Classmates.com and Reunion.com ~ ALL men, let me add. I ignored most of them but established new friendships with a couple of others (I wasn't friends with either of them in school).

I enjoy the class reunions. It's been interesting to see who matured and who are still snobs. Most of the Pretty People in high school aged pretty hard while the plain/homely ones improved. I also noticed how many girls in my class married much older men. Also, many of the boys that I really expected to go to college and become Wall Street'ers, stayed behind to carve out successful lives as farmers.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Yes, I have done that in recent years, myself, though not aggressively.

But my biggest maladjustment was with my best friend from high school. We were almost joined at the hip. We ended up with our own lives (marriage) and lost contact for a couple of decades. When we met up in '94 it was a disaster. She'd been through a lot and she seemed so very different. I'm sure I did to her, too. Then she contacted me again a few years later and we managed to re-establish a friendship again, although we are still radically different. It's interesting.

The childhood friends and classmates that I would like to see most of all are among the ones I can't locate. There have been several people who either emailed me, or sent me a 'nudge', from the likes of Classmates.com and Reunion.com ~ ALL men, let me add. I ignored most of them but established new friendships with a couple of others (I wasn't friends with either of them in school).

I enjoy the class reunions. It's been interesting to see who matured and who are still snobs. Most of the Pretty People in high school aged pretty hard while the plain/homely ones improved. I also noticed how many girls in my class married much older men. Also, many of the boys that I really expected to go to college and become Wall Street'ers, stayed behind to carve out successful lives as farmers.
If your looking for someone there is a forum here I think its called People Search, you just tell what you know about them, the state you went to school with them would help and any other details, middle names are a HUGE help. They find alot of people to help others out.

Facebook is another place to look, I have found people on there at an amazing rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships