U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 12:51 PM

19,078 posts, read 21,918,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
Hey Braun, I'm usually with you, but im not sure what you mean by 'professional' the guy says he is Civil Engineer, is that not professional enough? What constitutes a professional to you?
It certainly is. So, she (not he) did burst my bubble since I tend to have higher expectations of folk in professional jobs as well as the educated. Clearly, I shouldn't make that assumption, although the environment she speaks of is not professional. And then Julia was spot on as usual. My reality is probably not prevalent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Ah, Civil Engineers are the most Catty of the Engineering disciplines so there may be some insight there! As far as gossip goes the Female Engineers I work with always share all of the details of their week ends with the rest of us on Monday mornings. Theyre pretty good about not dissing thier fellow workers though, so I would say equal in my work environment.
Folk at my job share stuff as well as far as weekend adventures go. Although, most are married with kids, so it doesn't get too exciting. And likewise in that my colleagues don't diss on each other. Frankly, that would simply be bad for a person's career. I figure an individual who goes to school and develops a career would be focused enough not to engage in damaging behavior, which is why I figure it would be more prevalent in non-career oriented jobs.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:08 PM

31,701 posts, read 20,001,474 times
I don't buy it. I've worked in both male dominated industries, and with women and women bosses. I rarely find females to be catty or mean. Among my girlfriends if anyone was to display that type of behavior they wouldn't be aske out with us again.

I found the women I worked with helpful mentors, or looking to be mentored, and in my personal life we support each other.

Not saying I've never run into a female like that, heck I've run into MEN like that. But they are the exception, not the norm.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:08 PM

861 posts, read 911,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
This is funny coming from someone who started another thread asking for advice on how to tell your friend that you are sleeping with her boyfriend.
I'm not even gonna respond

Old 10-03-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreamerx0 View Post
I'm not even gonna respond
What could you say? He's correct.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:35 PM

7,495 posts, read 9,769,807 times
I work and have worked with a few catty women, but honestly that doesn't mean I think all women are catty, nor am I going to treat every woman like someone I can't trust because there happen to be some I can't trust. But honestly I've had some bad experiences with other women in my life and am naturally suspicious when getting to know someone. But when it comes to work, I keep things to myself. I don't share anything I don't want everyone to know, with either men or women.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:35 PM

5,499 posts, read 4,576,196 times
Cattiness in general is a defense mechanism used by people (not just women) to ward off any threat of either being bested by someone else or closeness that they don't believe in anymore for some reasons. I have encountered this attitude many times but managed to befriend most by just letting them be until they feel that I am not a threat after all. You win some...and lose some...I don't dwell on it.

And this type of women sometimes prove to be the most loyal once they accept your friendship.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 878 times
Default Why Girls Are So Mean From an 18 Year Old Perspective

Girls are just awful, whether it's in school, work, or sports. I played volleyball for a year and a half & it was nothing but drama, drama, drama. Even when they're not saying stuff to your face, they can treat you like you're worthless and that just ruins your self esteem. I know so many girls who quit the team because of those few who weren't talented at anything except killing confidence. I was lucky enough to learn from the experience & realize that your success is not determined by how many points you score in a game, if you're the most popular on the team, or if you're the MVP, but by what you learn and what lessons you take away from the experience. Speaking from experience, mean girls don't amount to anything & things get better. I ended up writing a book called The Bench Sitter based on that year and a half and I'm happier than ever. (: Don't let mean girls get to you, ever!

My book can be found at:
Amazon.com: The Bench Sitter eBook: Katlin Sweeney: Books

Old 11-27-2011, 03:59 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,298,587 times
This is an interesting question. I often ponder the answer myself being a woman. I just don't see the reason for the unnecessary pettiness and drama. And A LOT of women choose to participate in this kind of behavior. I disregard this and choose not to participate in it.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:38 PM

2,726 posts, read 4,516,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1720 View Post
I played volleyball for a year and a half & it was nothing but drama, drama, drama.
Once I learned how to deal with the drama, out came the friends really worth having. The drama free ones. Kind of weird that it happened that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or