Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 04:19 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

You don't burn bridges even when the people are a-holes? Or is everyone perfect and accommodating to you in California??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I socialize with most people outside of work, but not all the time. I don't believe in burning bridges and to this da I socialize and keep in touch with people I no longer work with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 04:23 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I know in some cultures or even in some professions the afterhours scene is important for networking and maybe to get yourself promoted. I have no desire to see people I work with when I am not being paid to do so. If I am going to be brown nosing someone I want to be paid for it. I can be fun at work or even when there is an out of town conference and we spend two or three days at meetings and social functions, but I would never want to be around any one I work with out side of work. My question is, is this behavior insulting or detrimental or acceptable? I will be starting a new job in the future and plan on not socializing with whatever group of *******s I have to work with or work for.
Every job I have ever had in my life, after the age of 18, I have made close and long-lasting friends there. I guess it just depends on the type of job you have and the kind of person you are. Frankly, some of my very best friends are people that I used to work with. If you consider your co-workers to be a group of "*******s", then you probably won't have to be concerned about having to socialize with them. I doubt they will want you to.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:25 PM

Almost everyone I worked with in the past until currently was a prejudiced judgmental selfish a-hole. I guess the saying "life isn't fair" is true. Wow. I feel so relieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Every job I have ever had in my life, after the age of 18, I have made close and long-lasting friends there. I guess it just depends on the type of job you have and the kind of person you are. Frankly, some of my very best friends are people that I used to work with. If you consider your co-workers to be a group of "*******s", then you probably won't have to be concerned about having to socialize with them. I doubt they will want you to.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:27 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I think you are missing the point or maybe I just thought this thread was about something different.

The point that I got from the OP was about being forced to socialize.!!
Of course you may meet a real good friend or too on your job but eveybody isnt your friend...and when you are forced to socialize as in your job depends on you hanging out with coworkers in your free time or sharing personal info with coworkers...thats not right....Its all about having the CHOICE to socialize or NOT

Old 04-08-2009, 04:28 PM

lol ..... I know. Why do you have to socialize and be buddies with your co-workers. Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I socialize with mine for 10 hours a day monday to friday. That more than enough socialization for me.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:29 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Almost everyone I worked with in the past until currently was a prejudiced judgmental selfish a-hole. I guess the saying "life isn't fair" is true. Wow. I feel so relieved.
Every one? Every job? Hmmm....what seems to be the common denominator in all these jobs?

Old 04-08-2009, 04:29 PM

To be honest, you shouldn't be forced to be buddies with coworkers during the job. Just keep everything light and respectful is all that I ask for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
I think you are missing the point or maybe I just thought this thread was about something different.

The point that I got from the OP was about being forced to socialize.!!
Of course you may meet a real good friend or too on your job but eveybody isnt your friend...and when you are forced to socialize as in your job depends on you hanging out with coworkers in your free time or sharing personal info with coworkers...thats not right....Its all about having the CHOICE to socialize or NOT

Old 04-08-2009, 04:31 PM

Let's put it this way. I got excellent work reviews during evaluations yet for some reason didn't like the work environment. Some personalities don't mesh well, especially when you are working with the same two or three 'robot-like' perfectionistic people day after day. Plus most people I knew in the past don't approve of homosexuals or working with them either.

Currently the co-workers are real cool. They are an older bunch of people and are pretty funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Every one? Every job? Hmmm....what seems to be the common denominator in all these jobs?

Last edited by artsyguy; 04-08-2009 at 04:45 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 04:34 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You don't burn bridges even when the people are a-holes? Or is everyone perfect and accommodating to you in California??
No - it's all sunny and good here!

I pick and choose who to socialize with. Typically, I don't let anybody rattle my cage, so even an a-hole, I will be friendly with. I won't socialize with them after hours, but I will be pleasant with them.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:36 PM

Wow. Give me some tips and advice on that sister friend .......... I literally turn red in the face when I have to deal with an a-hole....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
No - it's all sunny and good here!

I pick and choose who to socialize with. Typically, I don't let anybody rattle my cage, so even an a-hole, I will be friendly with. I won't socialize with them after hours, but I will be pleasant with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships