U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 04:38 PM

25,826 posts, read 32,804,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
I think you are missing the point or maybe I just thought this thread was about something different.

The point that I got from the OP was about being forced to socialize.!!
Of course you may meet a real good friend or too on your job but eveybody isnt your friend...and when you are forced to socialize as in your job depends on you hanging out with coworkers in your free time or sharing personal info with coworkers...thats not right....Its all about having the CHOICE to socialize or NOT
I read nothing about being "forced to socialize" in his post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 04:42 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,510,728 times
What I've noticed is that I've gotten along with co-workers really well in southern latitudes (CA, GA) and not that well, except for transplants, in northern latitudes (WA, OR). For some reason, it has aligned that way.

I enjoyed my Atlanta co-workers the most.

The common denominator all my work-friends have is that they are smart and have good senses of humor (or like to be around people who do).

Old 04-08-2009, 04:46 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,316,346 times
Co-workers with a sense of humor and the ability to laugh is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
What I've noticed is that I've gotten along with co-workers really well in southern latitudes (CA, GA) and not that well, except for transplants, in northern latitudes (WA, OR). For some reason, it has aligned that way.

I enjoyed my Atlanta co-workers the most.

The common denominator all my work-friends have is that they are smart and have good senses of humor (or like to be around people who do).

Old 04-08-2009, 05:42 PM

657 posts, read 1,415,641 times
I see my coworkers every day during the week, and occasionally go out with a few of them on weekends, other times running into them at random while i'm out.. theyre all good people, so i don't mind at all, and we have a lot of fun... plus, laughing about weekend hijinks at work is a good way to introduce some levity.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:55 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,316,346 times
Do you all ever get together and have cuddle parties? Be honest, we the people of the forum promise not to judge you too much. j/k

Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
I see my coworkers every day during the week, and occasionally go out with a few of them on weekends, other times running into them at random while i'm out.. theyre all good people, so i don't mind at all, and we have a lot of fun... plus, laughing about weekend hijinks at work is a good way to introduce some levity.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:00 PM

5,612 posts, read 13,530,429 times
It really depends on the type of job you have. Participating in company functions is a great way to meet people from other departments and increase your chances of advancement within your company. Esp if the company you are with is not the company you plan to retire from. You will need to make some type of move within your company within two years if you want to move on to a better job.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:15 PM
miu

17,104 posts, read 34,533,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
lol ..... I know. Why do you have to socialize and be buddies with your co-workers. Ugh.
There's a big different between WANTING to socialize with your co-workers and HAVING to spend the extra time with them.

When I worked at a small titanium frame bicycle factory, most of the staff and employees were in their 20's and all avid bikers. They all loved socializing together outside of work and would go on group bike rides together.

Well at my part time job, I like most of my managers, co-workers and kitchen staff. I would have a good time hanging out with most of them. But we enjoy enough of each others company while at work so that that by the end of our shifts, we are happy just to go our separate ways... onto home and our other friends.

I think that what splits groups of workers apart is basically management versus the regular staff. Then the married with children ones stick together and the single workers will form other subgroups depending on age and side hobbies.

Now one of my co-workers was saying that she's really close to the other girls on her rugby team. And they all like to get together when they aren't playing rugby, however my co-worker feels awkward because all the other rugby players go to these rugby social events with their boyfriends, and her boyfriend isn't interested in going to these rugby social events with her.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,945,564 times
I never socialize with co-workers, ever. The best I do is go to lunch with "work friends" once in awhile, but I don't see them after 5:00. I am at my job 40 hours a week, it gets my best waking hours. So when the job is done, I don't want to spend my free time with them, too. In fact, I don't even like to drive through the town I work in on my days off.

During work I do enjoy the co-workers and I think I'm well-liked. But that is all I need for socializing. I'm a loner.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:08 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,404,514 times
I was with the same company for over 5 years...most of us had worked together the whole time. We celebrated birthdays...had baby showers....went out for drinks on a friday every now and then...they came to my housewarming party...one of the guys was in my husbands band...we knew each others spouses( if applicable) kids....a lot of them are true friends....Moving away and leaving was one of the hardest things. This extended to relationships with senior management...hr....
The place I am working at now? Nowhere close to that....

Old 04-09-2009, 08:09 AM

9,351 posts, read 10,140,337 times
One of reasons for wanting to keep my personal life separate from my co-workers is I think the group dynamics is different from a collection of people who work together as apposed to the group dynamics of a collection of personal friends. In my experience I have found co-workers are not as discrete about each other as personal friends are. I once had a co-worker tell me some embarrassing indiscretion that she caught a coworker in at a party over the weekend. I don't think she would of told me, some one she hardly knew, if the person in question was her personal friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships