U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:36 AM

4,739 posts, read 7,543,575 times

Advertisements

On the other end of the spectrum from those that have a hard time apologizing I have met people that say it all the time and its hard to put much stock in what they are saying because they spit the words out with no emotion at all. They interrupt a conversation uninvited and say oh I'm sorry, reach in front of you in the grocery store to get an item when they know full well what they are doing but can't give you a sec to complete your task.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 12:41 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,311,468 times
I've interrupted a conversation to get something and said "I'm sorry". To me that means I understand their conversation is important but I'm in a rush and need to get what I need as fast as possible.

This is a situation where you are being way too sensitive because it isn't personal.

I thought this topic was about people who said "I'm sorry" after backstabbing you, embarrassing you, tracking mud all over your carpet, or taking you personal items without asking. Try being screamed and yelled at in front of other people.......then told "I'm sorry".

One time I ate my roommates food late at night because I had nothing to eat. He got very annoyed the next morning but I went out and bought him new food that day. So get over it, is my attitude.

It isn't anything to get crazy about. I've been through far worse.

Last edited by artsyguy; 04-14-2009 at 01:08 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 01:06 PM

28,906 posts, read 46,587,988 times
My SIL is like that. EVERYTHING is a freaking apology right down to being three minutes late picking up her niece. Her dad was a Grade-A youknowwhat, which is why she's that way today.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:09 PM

She apologizes all the time because she feels guilty?

Does her dad guilt trip her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
My SIL is like that. EVERYTHING is a freaking apology right down to being three minutes late picking up her niece. Her dad was a Grade-A youknowwhat, which is why she's that way today.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
She apologizes all the time because she feels guilty?

Does her dad guilt trip her?
Yeah. It's really compulsive. As in, "I'm so sorry for this, I'm so sorry for that..." Then you have to say, "Oh, that's okay," and then catch whatever balls she's throwing up in the air at the moment. It's very much a manipulative thing, and it's really exhausting.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:20 PM

What do you mean "catch whatever balls she's throwing up in the air at the moment".....give examples.

Quote:
Yeah. It's really compulsive. As in, "I'm so sorry for this, I'm so sorry for that..." Then you have to say, "Oh, that's okay," and then catch whatever balls she's throwing up in the air at the moment. It's very much a manipulative thing, and it's really exhausting.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What do you mean "catch whatever balls she's throwing up in the air at the moment".....give examples.
I was speaking (writing) figuratively. In other words, we're all supposed to run around and deal with all her insecurities du jour.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:24 PM

I know you are writing figuratively. I said give examples of her insecurities. Thanks

Quote:
I was speaking (writing) figuratively. In other words, we're all supposed to run around and deal with all her insecurities du jour.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:21 PM

8,468 posts, read 13,604,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
On the other end of the spectrum from those that have a hard time apologizing I have met people that say it all the time and its hard to put much stock in what they are saying because they spit the words out with no emotion at all. They interrupt a conversation uninvited and say oh I'm sorry, reach in front of you in the grocery store to get an item when they know full well what they are doing but can't give you a sec to complete your task.
An insincere apology is worse than no apology at all. I've run into people like this. They know they're about to do something wrong, but they do it anyway and figure they're covered because they said sorry. The person who steps in front of me at the grocery store to grab an item on the shelf in front of me, them I can excuse. It's OK if people don't apologize for the little things. But when it's a more serious offense and all they offer is a quick little apology that feels insincere, I take issue with that. But the other extreme I can't stand either. It feels very manipulative to constantly apologize, especially if it's for the same type of thing. I dated a girl in college who was always late. Every time she showed up, she'd quickly say sorry and then pretend like it was no big deal. Finally, I confronted her and said, "quit being sorry and start being on time."

Old 04-14-2009, 02:23 PM

Was she late for dates??

Did you two eventually break up?

Usually when I am late for a date or any scenario it is because I am losing interest or not enjoying my time with the people or person.

So I'm going to assume she broke up with you or you got mad enough to break up with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
AEvery time she showed up, she'd quickly say sorry and then pretend like it was no big deal. Finally, I confronted her and said, "quit being sorry and start being on time."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or