U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 09:56 PM

9,392 posts, read 17,331,646 times

Advertisements

I don't see a major problem in being friends with peers if it stays that way. Problems often arise when one of the friends is promoted and becomes the other friend's boss. Romantic relationships with co-workers can also get out of hand.

I ran a business for several years in which most of my staff was hired directly from colleges around the county. They'd move here, often thousands of miles from home, without knowing anyone, and close friendships among co-workers was the norm. We had the occasional office romance or parties that got out of hand, but overall I thought the close comradeship was a very good thing for the business and the employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 10:08 PM

318 posts, read 735,457 times
LOL. Facebook stalking now are we? I don't see anything wrong with being friends with co-workers but I'ld advise you to let it unravel as naturally as possible. Meaning, don't make the first move. It'll be apparent if there is mutual interest and talks of hanging out will eventually follow - later.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:13 AM

15,564 posts, read 36,489,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
OK. Thanks!

As i said before, I think romance here is a big no-no. She has a near perfect body and boobs, but I prepared to cut my losses here and expect only potential friendship.
Okay, Sammy ... you've gotta stop looking at and thinking of your co-workers in terms of their bodies and/or their boobs. If that ever got out, you'd be branded the "office creep" for the rest of your life!

Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,459,118 times
OK, thanks everybody for your advice.

But i am not staking her on Facebook. I was on it the other day, and saw her profile, that's all. There is no need to assume anything sinister on my part. Is liking somebody a bad thing?

Thanks again.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:37 AM

657 posts, read 1,416,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
OK, thanks everybody for your advice.

But i am not staking her on Facebook. I was on it the other day, and saw her profile, that's all. There is no need to assume anything sinister on my part. Is liking somebody a bad thing?

Thanks again.
it is when you've gone through 2 people in the course of a week, the first one inducing wild emotions at the realization that she wasn't interested...

Old 04-22-2009, 11:45 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,459,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
it is when you've gone through 2 people in the course of a week, the first one inducing wild emotions at the realization that she wasn't interested...
i'm over that now.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:49 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,387,404 times
I'm friendly with my coworkers (there's only a few of us), and even kind of friends with one or two of them (as in we've hung out a little outside of work). There is a very fine line that you need to be careful not to cross though I think, and I try very hard to keep my work friendships professional, even outside of work.

My coworkers and I have each others cell numbers and we text each other and joke around, and we've all friended each other on MySpace (not FB though, since that tends to be a bit more personal). When we hang out outside of work it is merely "coincidence" and we treat it as such afterward, even if it was planned. (Examples: two or three of my coworkers attend the same college I do and we sometimes hang out in the lounge or go for coffee or lunch. Some of my coworkers will "accidentally" go to the same bar at the same time and just "coincidentally" have a few drinks together.) Sometimes we really do just happen to run into each other outside of work though.

Serious relationships and serious friendships among coworkers, IMO, would be crossing that fine line. I've seen coworkers become serious friends a few times, and in one case their friendship got them both fired instead of just the one. I guess just friendships sometimes can't be helped though.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:58 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,338,485 times
^ You text and are friends on myspace? That is so childish and strange for grown adult people.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:45 PM

3,047 posts, read 8,127,640 times
i would just keep that stuff at work. befriend all your coworkers, if possible. obviously, there will be quite a few who are grinches and scrooges...you guage them on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. you never know, they may come around. however, i can not advise hanging out with co-workers. of course, i'm 25 and work with a bunch of 40-50 year olds so I can't really speak for anyone but myself.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:59 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,387,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
^ You text and are friends on myspace? That is so childish and strange for grown adult people.
The environment I work in is professional in a loose sense of the word. Most of my coworkers are in their late teens/early twenties. If I worked in a more professional environment (like at a major firm or something) I don't think I'd be so friendly with my coworkers.
Also, I never said we were "grown, adult people". I did mention however, that we're all still in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships