U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 03:47 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,313,961 times

Advertisements

A simple, "No" should do it. Just tell them that that won't work for you and give him the phone numbers (or web addresses) of a few local hotels. Tell him that you are looking forward to seeing him and meeting his family.

Frankly, it's rude to ask for lodging for that large of a family. It's thoughtless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 09:00 PM

219 posts, read 662,070 times
Default Ablau

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablau View Post
That is a really awesome idea! I'm obviously not the OP, but I would never have even thought of that. What's the pricing difference of renting an RV versus staying @ a hotel?
You would have to check with the local Rv dealers that rent Rv's in your area for the price.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:03 PM

5,612 posts, read 13,560,307 times
"I'll be happy to give you the number to Motel 6"

Old 04-24-2009, 04:29 PM

3,633 posts, read 4,428,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I have been keeping in touch with a close friend from college via Christmas Cards and email for over 20 years, but have not spoken to him in over 15 years and have not seen him in over 20. Now he has decided it is time to bring the family of eight to Washington DC this summer. He lives in Idaho.

He emailed me and asked if we can put him and his family up for four nights. They would be happy to sleep on the floor. How would you respond?
if it were me, I'd be a-o-k with it

Old 04-24-2009, 05:03 PM

3,723 posts, read 4,590,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I have been keeping in touch with a close friend from college via Christmas Cards and email for over 20 years, but have not spoken to him in over 15 years and have not seen him in over 20. Now he has decided it is time to bring the family of eight to Washington DC this summer. He lives in Idaho.

He emailed me and asked if we can put him and his family up for four nights. They would be happy to sleep on the floor. How would you respond?
Tell him your wife said no.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:30 PM

5,007 posts, read 7,867,542 times
Maybe this is the year you should stop sending those Christmas cards.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:48 PM

550 posts, read 1,093,732 times
If you are comfortable with it take em in!
Since you made the thread I guess ur not, so make a suttle hint tha he should find another place to sleep, but you can meet at someplace for dinner or something.

Ah and having a family of eight, I think your friend is probably used to some limitations when it comes to invitations.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:48 PM
miu

17,132 posts, read 34,629,642 times
I think that it's one situation of just your old college friend asking you to put him and his wife up for a night as they are passing through town, but four nights and with SIX children is a really over the top request. Especially since he not said why they need the free lodgings. He should have make his request along with an explanation for his circumstances, like he's looked for lodgings already online and all the area hotels are booked or way too expensive for their budget. Just some reason so you can talk to your own family about it and so that they will not mind the HUGE inconvenience of sharing their bathrooms with six children and two adults, all complete strangers to them.

When I go out of town to an area where I have friends, I prefer staying in a hotel just for privacy's sake. I have four friends that have insisted ahead of time that I have to stay with them when passing through their area. And I always reciprocation with taking them out to a good dinner or some other thank you.

And if I am traveling with a boyfriend, we always get a hotel room. They don't even like the idea of a bed and breakfast where the bathrooms are shared with others.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:52 PM

550 posts, read 1,093,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think that it's one situation of just your old college friend asking you to put him and his wife up for a night as they are passing through town, but four nights and with SIX children is a really over the top request. Especially since he not said why they need the free lodgings. He should have make his request along with an explanation for his circumstances, like he's looked for lodgings already online and all the area hotels are booked or way too expensive for their budget. Just some reason so you can talk to your own family about it and so that they will not mind the HUGE inconvenience of sharing their bathrooms with six children and two adults, all complete strangers to them.

When I go out of town to an area where I have friends, I prefer staying in a hotel just for privacy's sake. I have four friends that have insisted ahead of time that I have to stay with them when passing through their area. And I always reciprocation with taking them out to a good dinner or some other thank you.

And if I am traveling with a boyfriend, we always get a hotel room. They don't even like the idea of a bed and breakfast where the bathrooms are shared with others.
Couldn't agree more

Old 04-24-2009, 05:56 PM

3,022 posts, read 4,524,879 times
If you're not from a large family yourself, and used to large families already, then I would say no. I wear myself out taking care of ONE person for 4 days much less 8! After 2 days I really want company gone so I can have my house back. It's exhausting entertaining, cooking for, and cleaning up after someone. In your situation thats all of them "hogging" your t.v., your refridgerator (which will have to be restocked several times for their finicky favorites), your bathroom (imagine waiting in line behind 8 others!), not using coasters--AGH!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or