U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 05:58 PM
miu

17,099 posts, read 34,528,599 times

Advertisements

I wonder if this family of eight has a habit of trying to travel for cheap by staying for free with their friends. I wonder who else they've done this with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 06:00 PM

1,550 posts, read 3,064,122 times
I housed three adults and two children after Hurricaine Katrina in a 2 BR/2bath duplex and I slept on the sofa along with my akita at my side. I enjoyed it to tell the truth but I had more adults than children so that made the big difference. Along with file' gumbo, crawfish, shrimp creole and jambalaya and grilled steak and fresh salads being cooked daily for me for 8 months wasn't bad either!!!!!!

It depends how discipline the children are and how much of the burden they the parents will take on I'd say

Old 04-24-2009, 06:08 PM

1,592 posts, read 3,081,217 times
I say go for it -- what's the big deal? You are providing them a blessing. Floors can be mopped, carpets vaccuumed, china glued back together, well -- aw shucks, just hide the china and anything else delicate that you care about!

Old 04-24-2009, 06:20 PM

177 posts, read 653,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
I housed three adults and two children after Hurricaine Katrina in a 2 BR/2bath duplex and I slept on the sofa along with my akita at my side. I enjoyed it to tell the truth but I had more adults than children so that made the big difference. Along with file' gumbo, crawfish, shrimp creole and jambalaya and grilled steak and fresh salads being cooked daily for me for 8 months wasn't bad either!!!!!!

It depends how discipline the children are and how much of the burden they the parents will take on I'd say
That's very kind of you, but I personally think a natural disaster situation is a bit different than just vacationing and imposing on someone. I'd be a LOT more accomodating in a Katrina-type situation than random former friends just bringing their whole family over!

(A little off-topic, but I love Akitas! Beautiful dogs.)

Old 04-24-2009, 09:43 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,527,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think that it's one situation of just your old college friend asking you to put him and his wife up for a night as they are passing through town, but four nights and with SIX children is a really over the top request. Especially since he not said why they need the free lodgings. He should have make his request along with an explanation for his circumstances, like he's looked for lodgings already online and all the area hotels are booked or way too expensive for their budget. Just some reason so you can talk to your own family about it and so that they will not mind the HUGE inconvenience of sharing their bathrooms with six children and two adults, all complete strangers to them.

When I go out of town to an area where I have friends, I prefer staying in a hotel just for privacy's sake. I have four friends that have insisted ahead of time that I have to stay with them when passing through their area. And I always reciprocation with taking them out to a good dinner or some other thank you.

And if I am traveling with a boyfriend, we always get a hotel room. They don't even like the idea of a bed and breakfast where the bathrooms are shared with others.
You and I must have had similar thoughts because I would have wrote about the same.

One night, maybe. Four nights is a stretch.

When i was 12 and we were moving between an army base to Connecticut so my dad could get a masters, there was a month in time before the house was ready in CT and we had to vacate the old house in Oklahoma for the renters. So that month in between we shacked up with my relatives in Pennsylvania. Every week we'd rotate between my different aunt's houses. It was great for me cause I got to spend time with my cousins who I hardly knew. But there were problems and in retrospect my mom says they should not have done that and found another solution. It strained a lot of relationships for a long time. It's too hard to decamp a family into another families house.

And that's family, not near strangers.

I have a lot of friends down under and I've always shied away from bunking up with them like some do to save money. My closest friend is getting a new condo on his own in New Zealand and he has extended an offer to stay at his place next time. We were roommates and co workers for years and are used to being under the same roof, so I'll certainly take up his offer. But for most people, dunno but I'd rather not impose.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:57 PM
miu

17,099 posts, read 34,528,599 times
It's always a great feeling to be invited to a friends house and know that they enjoy your company, and also that they are willing to put themselves out to help out in a situation. But I feel that I want to be equally as good a friend to them. It doesn't take much effort to discern when bunking with them might actually be a great imposition on them. So I'd rather get a hotel room, and save that favour for another time, sometime when I might actually be in read need of it. I believe that a good friendship is about give and take. I don't want to be always a taker. But at the same time, it's not nice to never allow someone who wants to be a giver, to give.

Actually, on the first road trip with my boyfriend (before we were a romantic couple) we drove to CA and spent about two weeks on a friend's living room floor. We went to meet car message board friends, but one of the other goals was for my boyfriend to install an LSD into a transmission for our host and then to install it in his car for him. Our friend saved a lot of money and it was also his vacation time. And many nights, we bought groceries and I cooked dinner for everyone. Overall, it was a win-win situation for all involved. That summer was one of my favorite summers ever.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:03 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,404,235 times
My husbands dad and stepmom are coming out for his surgery...Bless his heart he sent them hotel accommodations in his return email
The house we are renting is truly too small for them to be here....the stairs up were too steep and narrow to get a fullsized bed up them..there is NO counterspace.......and he knows that unless it's the kids or grandbabies....or a couple of friends who should be family...no one stays with us...

Old 04-25-2009, 03:46 AM

324 posts, read 782,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablau View Post
That's very kind of you, but I personally think a natural disaster situation is a bit different than just vacationing and imposing on someone. I'd be a LOT more accomodating in a Katrina-type situation than random former friends just bringing their whole family over!

(A little off-topic, but I love Akitas! Beautiful dogs.)

True, so different its like night & day. I bet you Katrina was involuntary. This is voluntary. Big difference!

Old 04-25-2009, 03:48 AM

4,103 posts, read 6,055,758 times
I wouldn't do it.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:49 AM

1,550 posts, read 3,064,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
True, so different its like night & day. I bet you Katrina was involuntary. This is voluntary. Big difference!
You can always screen them by ASKING them questions like:
1. Why would you want to stay with you since he/she makes good money?
2. Who will provide the food and who will clean up behind 8 people?
3. How long do you plan to stay?
4. Are you willing to pay for any damages caused by you and yours?
5. Are they willing to pay the additional expense on utilities?
6. Then say your hubby wants to know all of this before we make a decision.

After you gather all that info and do a online (re)search on them, then you can make your final decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or