Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 05:38 PM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
If you are social do you like funerals and wakes?
It has nothing to do being social. I go to funerals out of respect and support for the ones that are grieving. I never "enjoy" them, and I can't imagine anyone saying that they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 09:11 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,476,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
The only people I know who enjoy going to wakes are Irish.
Well, I recently went to my IRISH Uncle's funeral.... Initially, I went to support my Dad, because I can't remember much about that side of the family myself. They all lived fairly near each other, but I haven't seen any of them since I was little. Despite the efforts of some to get them together.

But I was glad I went because I met cousins and Uncles who were surprisingly happy to see me. I wasn't treated like a stranger to them, even though I'd felt like one for years.

And it turns out, I even have some family near where I live now.

I also remember my Grandfather's (on the other side) memorial services - one where he lived, one where he was buried (Arlington Nat'l Cem'y). He had been the reason we had family reunions - there haven't been any since he passed. In a way, it was the last reunion he was responsible for.

I'm grateful for all of these occasions.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:42 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
I don't like going to funerals as I'd much rather everyone lived forever and whilst I consider a funeral a sombre occasion and all about respect, I can say that I have been to many where laughter has been encouraged. I think that is also a fitting way to honour a person's life, if that was their wish.

I have been to heart breaking funerals and some more "joyous" funerals.

In all the funerals I've been to I simply take my cues from those around me and the immediate family, as well as my own personal grief gets taken into consideration depending on the circumstances and my relationship with the person who has died.

I was at a funeral on Monday for a close and very respected family friend and there was much laughing and joy that he had lived such an amazing life, had made such an impact on those around him and was no longer suffering. A life well lived. Certainly it was a very sad occasion at times and there was quiet reflection and sombre ceremony but there was also time to celebrate the wonderful person he was and that included laughter. I think the telling of stories and the sharing of laughter even in times of great sadness is simply a way for people to understand and work through their grief and loss together.

I hope there will be laughter and merriment at my funeral, I'd love for there to be dancing and singing too but I suspect people might not feel like it. I won't be there so it's their decision to make. It's not for me to tell others how to deal with their grief. There will also be CAKE! IMO pretty much every crappy thing in life can be fixed with a good bit of cake! I don't want to be remembered as having a funeral with crap cakes!

Old 04-23-2009, 09:47 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Everybody and their fat brothers been dying in my family/cirlce lately. Jeeze. Mr stepbrother, my aunt, a member of Mrs. Chow's family too.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:53 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,719,775 times
Funerals and wakes for me are usually very awkward and I hate that aspect. Mostly because I hardly know anyone there. But I always do my best to pay my respects to the deceased and their family. I don't think I've ever actually been to one of the afterwards get-togethers or whatnot where there was food, other than for my grandmother's funeral when I was really young. :/
Plus, most of the funerals I've been to were long and boring, as well as some of the wakes I've been to.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
I can't believe someone would go to a funeral as a "social occasion"...Jesus ,you are burying someone who lived ,laughed and loved and who is no more...that's a tragedy,not a party

Old 05-02-2013, 12:03 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
What are the odds that someone would necropost in a 4-year dead thread, and the thread happens to be about funerals?

Old 05-04-2013, 05:55 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
I will go to a funeral as often as I am able to, but usually it is very close friends or family members. I don't like to think of it as a social event by any means as usually it is such a sad and depressing occasion. If it is family funeral, I think it is good to see distant family members time to time.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:48 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
One can appreciate and enjoy being able to see family members and others whom one hasn't seen for a long time without "enjoying" the funeral/wake itself. The occasion itself is sad and serious, but the opportunity of a reunion with the living is a welcome one.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:07 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,204 times
I hate them. I only attend immediate family and close friends, that's it. All else get sent a mass card and maybe flowers if they were that likeable. When I die, I want to be cremated and tossed into the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships