U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 06:52 PM

25,393 posts, read 30,657,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
The demands of daily life take their toll on our minds and bodies. Having a job, going to grad school, having children, etc... all this makes it much harder to stay fit than when one is in high school or a single in his/her 20s.

Years ago I was overweight by at least 20 lbs. I started to lift weights regularly, put on mass, and after some trial and error, have finally "learned" how to put on muscle. I did a cutting period last year and learned that I can lose weight if I eat very carefully and do lots of cardio - lost 10lbs in one month.

As a single adult w/ lots of married friends and acquaintances, I used to think that it's inevitable to get fat after marriage. I don't think so anymore. one guy I know is slim and toned; no, make that two. Both work out regularly.

Folks who have kids and are out of shape - I think they deserve some slack.

but what about singles? If one has no responsibilities other than him/herself, why let yourself go? I'm biased now because I work out regularly (I actually plan out my workout programs, do research, eat healthy most of the time, force myself not to eat certain foods, and hit the gym 3-4 times a week).

however... what are the reasons? depression? low self-esteem? What's with binge eating?

I know a girl I went to school with. She's short - and now she's HUGE. I think she put on 30-40 lbs from the time I first met her. Back then she was quite cute, and slim. I found her attractive. Now she's a blimp... and I avoid her because she is vocal about her insecurities (looks and marital status primarily).

I mean, I look at her, and if she hates being fat, shouldn't she decide to change? Every time I see her she's eating away, and I've never seen her refuse cake, pie, etc. And then, "oh gosh, I gotta lose weight..."

Some bigger folks are born that way, but she wasn't. I don't understand how people like her - formerly very cute - can allow themselves to morph this way.
You never know what people are fighting or how their bodies change in time. I was very thin in my 20's. Problem was, I didn't eat. I was, probably, bordering on anorexic. I lived on coffee, cigarettes and, usuall, one meal a day. I could be skinny again if I started smoking and stopped eating. I'm predispositioned to be larger if I eat. When my doctor reminds me about my weight, I remind her she wishes the rest or her patients had my blood pressure and blood work and she just nods. Back when I was thin, my blood pressure and good cholesterol were too low. Not they're normal but my weight isn't.

I tried exercise. I hired a personal trainer. Now I have tendonitis in both shoulders and one knee, platners faciatis in my left heal and chronic pain in my left hip. So much for no pain no gain. I did lose 20 pounds though but it wasn't worth the price I paid. I'll need a hip replacment before I'm 70 and probably a knee too. I'm already unstable going down stairs because of the pain in the morning.

So, count me in that group that doesn't exercise and is overweight. Moderate exercise just to stay healthy at my current weight would have been much better for me than trying to lose weight by exercising (it's difficult to diet weight off when you're hypothyroid). All I did was tear up tendons and joints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 28,462,533 times
Default I need disclipline

I am 47, single, have a good job but it's very demanding and high stress, and the more stress and demands i have the more $$ I will make, it's that kind of job

I am a workaholic, have no intimate relationship and not many social supports. I have a bad initial reaction to stressors but shortly i am told i actually tolerate stress and pressure very well.

2 years ago I was told i was overweight (240 actual wt vs ideal is 160), had metabolic syndrome, high blood pressure and pre-diabetes. My BP is well controlled on meds and i don't have any diabetic complications. I was told to get down to 200 but it doesn't work

I was just taken off diabetic meds due to stability(a1c is under 6) and started a biking program last spring. Due to the winter weather i stopped between Nov-march(I hate clubs and have no patience for all this "the gym, the gym" talk) but started again last week. The biking which i do close to 7 days a week, 3-4 miles per day (not much compared to other bikers but great for my health) dropped my trigycerides from 240(hi) to 98(very good) and my cholesterol (never a problem anyway) from 167 to 140, LDL and HDL are very good

unfortunately what the biking cannot do is shed the pounds. I seem to have a nasty weakness for cheese and rich foods and i have a problem with portion control. otherwise I'm excellent at avoiding sugary stuff, machine foods, I suppose this is why my blood readings are relatively good for an overweight person. no matter what i do i am overeating and buying cheese all the time and eating it like a mouse. never cheesecake mind you, just cheese in the raw. hate sugar, but love salty and gourmet foods. butterfly shrimp with bacon, gourmet veal, chicken, seafood in lemon/egg sauce, those kinds of things, i generally avoid fried stuff

the biking will reduce my triglycerides again and make me feel good but it will not shed pounds and this cycle will continue if i don't do something

i have 2 venti drip coffees from starbucks every AM before i even get to work and then after lunch a medium iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts with a shot of espresso(I forgot to say I am a nasty coffee junkie too)

Should i tone down the coffee? maybe it's making me too hungry?

Any ideas about this?

BTW, I have no vices or bad habits, no smoking, drinking but i wonder if i will ever outlive my dad(passed at 78 4 months ago). mom is a health fanatic and kept him rail thin and his cholesterol was 120

Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,531,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy89 View Post
I've let myself go alot the last 2 months, since my father was very sick for 2 weeks and thn died, on top of that my mother threw me out on the street 3 days before he died, and also had such a huge quantity of unforeseen problems with the apartment my father lived in, my sisters apartment in which i livwe right now, my car, her car, my fathers car, everything seems to have decided to break in pieces right now, plus a family feud(total war, everyone turning in eachother to the police etc) well I've let myself go alot, bu I hop I can finally start working out normally again, and living normally again for that matter...Tho nothing will turn the same again...
And I thought I was having a bad day.

I understand that pressure of everything happening at once like a perfect storm. Hopefully everything will work out for you.

I think a lot of this stuff comes down to balance. Today I had a bad day with some canceled work and screwing up my used new bike almost immediately when I got it home from a freshen up at the bike store. I wanted to exercise and it's been over six months since I could ride so I did a sixteen mile trail ride with my old bike and just overdid it. Now I'm sore and in pain with everything hurting, partly cause I haven't rode since last fall.

I've seen a lot of athletes that fall apart because they've overdone it at an early age so I think there are limits and you have to seek that balance there cause if you overdo it that can be just as bad.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:59 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,756,981 times
Quote:
The demands of daily life take their toll on our minds and bodies. Having a job, going to grad school, having children, etc... all this makes it much harder to stay fit than when one is in high school or a single in his/her 20s.

Years ago I was overweight by at least 20 lbs. I started to lift weights regularly, put on mass, and after some trial and error, have finally "learned" how to put on muscle. I did a cutting period last year and learned that I can lose weight if I eat very carefully and do lots of cardio - lost 10lbs in one month.

As a single adult w/ lots of married friends and acquaintances, I used to think that it's inevitable to get fat after marriage. I don't think so anymore. one guy I know is slim and toned; no, make that two. Both work out regularly.

but what about singles? If one has no responsibilities other than him/herself, why let yourself go? I'm biased now because I work out regularly (I actually plan out my workout programs, do research, eat healthy most of the time, force myself not to eat certain foods, and hit the gym 3-4 times a week).

however... what are the reasons? depression? low self-esteem? What's with binge eating?

I know a girl I went to school with. She's short - and now she's HUGE. I think she put on 30-40 lbs from the time I first met her. Back then she was quite cute, and slim. I found her attractive. Now she's a blimp... and I avoid her because she is vocal about her insecurities (looks and marital status primarily).

I mean, I look at her, and if she hates being fat, shouldn't she decide to change? Every time I see her she's eating away, and I've never seen her refuse cake, pie, etc. And then, "oh gosh, I gotta lose weight..."

Some bigger folks are born that way, but she wasn't. I don't understand how people like her - formerly very cute - can allow themselves to morph this way.
i'm sure you're just as attractive and appealing as you were 10 yrs ago---you must have people standing in line waiting to get close to you

Old 04-25-2009, 08:16 PM

336 posts, read 681,039 times
Quote:

So, you're whining about your whiny friend.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:40 AM

5,500 posts, read 20,019,745 times
I've let myself go. Sloth is my friend.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:45 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,273,497 times
Quote:

Lots of people, me included, learn as they get older that one's appearance is not the most important thing in life. They learn that being a good, caring person is far more important so they do not invest as much time and effort into what they look like. Being over weight is not a sin and it does not mean that someone does not have high self esteem.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-26-2009, 09:16 AM

1,919 posts, read 3,948,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
i'm sure you're just as attractive and appealing as you were 10 yrs ago---you must have people standing in line waiting to get close to you
Compared to what I looked like in the spring of 1999... I have more body fat, and as a result, a larger gut. That because in late 1998 I had gone on a serious diet/aerobic program.

At this time in 1999 I was lifting hard, and it was the time I made the best muscle mass gains ever.... but after that, I pretty much abandoned the gym until the middle of this decade.

So in terms of attractiveness and appeal - it's all subjective. Some women may have liked the skinnier, leaner me of 1999 - others may prefer the slightly fatter, but considerably more muscular me of 2009.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You never know what people are fighting or how their bodies change in time. I was very thin in my 20's. Problem was, I didn't eat. I was, probably, bordering on anorexic. I lived on coffee, cigarettes and, usuall, one meal a day. I could be skinny again if I started smoking and stopped eating. I'm predispositioned to be larger if I eat. When my doctor reminds me about my weight, I remind her she wishes the rest or her patients had my blood pressure and blood work and she just nods. Back when I was thin, my blood pressure and good cholesterol were too low. Not they're normal but my weight isn't.

I tried exercise. I hired a personal trainer. Now I have tendonitis in both shoulders and one knee, platners faciatis in my left heal and chronic pain in my left hip. So much for no pain no gain. I did lose 20 pounds though but it wasn't worth the price I paid. I'll need a hip replacment before I'm 70 and probably a knee too. I'm already unstable going down stairs because of the pain in the morning.

So, count me in that group that doesn't exercise and is overweight. Moderate exercise just to stay healthy at my current weight would have been much better for me than trying to lose weight by exercising (it's difficult to diet weight off when you're hypothyroid). All I did was tear up tendons and joints.
First of all, my sympathies for the health issues you've had.

I am very aware that people sometimes may get joint or other complications which prevents them from strenuous activity. It may not have been stated or implied in my opening post, but I had in mind folks who don't have such ailments. If one can barely bend his knees, he can't squat; if one has bad elbows, he can't use his arms to lift weights; and so forth.

I hope your health is good now and that you be healthy for the rest of your life.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Lots of people, me included, learn as they get older that one's appearance is not the most important thing in life. They learn that being a good, caring person is far more important so they do not invest as much time and effort into what they look like. Being over weight is not a sin and it does not mean that someone does not have high self esteem.

20yrsinBranson
Absolutely.

I referred to the woman I knew in college and know now because it is all but obvious that she's got issues with her weight. If her weight didn't bother her, it would be evident. But it does - so the logical course of action would be to stop doing things that make her overweight. But she doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or