U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 02:23 PM

5,258 posts, read 8,018,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
The "status update" thing is definitely what keeps me away!
I can only imagine the contempt you have for Twitter then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 02:48 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,371,303 times
I have much more on MySpace than Facebook. But you know what? I hardly go to either site. MySpaxe had "groups" and "forums" but the level of childishness on there was too much to bear. As for the friends, I simply accepted any invites I received. Some of those come up now as "deleted" whereupon I might delete them when I update. I probably know ten people or less personally, or through frequent contact.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:13 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,339,363 times
exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
1. Just over 300.

2. For me its easy I only connect with people I know (friends, family, and those who I teach). My niece has almost 800 friends but I guess its something that one can expect with a beautiful girl who's a video game developer/junkie and "miss popular" at USC.

3. Hasnt happened yet because I dont accept friend requests from anyone I dont know or dont like in real life.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:18 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,950,308 times
LOL, who cares? I have no clue how many facebook friends I have and haven't been annoyed by any,lol...it's just facebook!

Old 05-08-2009, 06:17 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,738,933 times
My sister just "friended" (ick) our father.

How wrong is that???

Now I have to un-friend (ick again) her. Awkward!!!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:18 PM

7,185 posts, read 11,224,804 times
I have 6 friends on Facebook. My relatives don't know I'm on there yet.

I have no plans to reach 100, so I don't know how others do it.

I only accept friends requests from people who I care about and we've already been through good times and bad for the most part. These are true friends that won't play games on you.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:39 PM

455 posts, read 910,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
1) How many friends do you have on Facebook?

2) How is it that some people have hundreds of friends on Facebook?

3) What do you do when someone irritates you and you no longer want them as a Facebook friend? How is this best handled?
1) 400+
2) Granted, I am not extremely close with all 400+ of these friends. But they are all acquaintances in some manner. Whether it be from high school, college, professional, people I have met on the road while traveling, or whatever. I know every single one of them.
3) I just de-friend them if I feel they would have any type of negative impact on my life. No questions asked.

I think a lot of the negative views on here are from people who are generally slow to adopt new technologies (though facebook is not new). People who like things how they were when THEY were growing up. Traditionalists, if you will.

Sure there can be some privacy concerns as well as having somewhat incriminating photos posted of you as well But I think social networking sites are a positive thing for communication and relationships. It has never prevented me from actually hanging out with people in person. It ONLY has provided me MORE opportunities to hang out with people in person. It's easier to send out invites for get-togethers. You are able to maintain some level of communication with a wide variety of friends, some of whom you would NEVER speak to if not for social networking sites. If I am traveling, I can check out all of my friends and see who is currently in the city I am going to. "Hey Mike, I am going to be in Munich next week, could I crash at your place?" "Hey Erin, a couple of friends and I are going out in Chicago tonight, want to meet up?" The situations are endless.

Moral of the story, just don't be so quick to judge new technologies as 'negative' when they could offer a lot of positives.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:54 PM

25,972 posts, read 32,970,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post

How wrong is that???

What's wrong with that? My son is on my list, as is my mother. And SHE is on my son's list as well. I even have some of my son's friends send me friend requests. But most of them I ignore.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:14 AM

7,402 posts, read 12,937,864 times
I have somewhere around 150. Most of mine are friends from high school (graduated in '74). Some I hadn't heard from in a long time. Other's are friends I've met online. I have a few I've met here in C-D.
I go in there several times a day. Got some good games I enjoy playing. I also have myspace but not as many friends in there.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:37 AM

10,996 posts, read 11,473,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post

How wrong is that???

Tragic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships