U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:55 AM

2,161 posts, read 3,872,010 times

Advertisements

I have 47 friends. Some are high school friends who sent me a friend request and I accepted even though I wasn't still in touch. I hide updates from everyone except friends I actually know and care about so only those friends' updates show up on my page.

Some of my friends have over 600 friends. I think they knew a lot of people in college, or work in a business where FB is used to network.

I've never de-friended anyone. Like I said above, I hide updates from those I don't want to see, and I ignore stupid requests for things like "Sorority Life" and "mafia wars"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 07:12 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,480,529 times
1) How many friends do you have on Facebook?

2) How is it that some people have hundreds of friends on Facebook?

Some of the people I have as friends have hundreds of friends on facebook, I think a lot of them are from uni and theatre. I could probably have hundreds also but wanted a more manageable number.
It's a good way to keep up with who is doing what shows, what auditions are coming up and that kind of thing.

3) What do you do when someone irritates you and you no longer want them as a Facebook friend? How is this best handled?

I recently wanted someone removed from my facebook and I simply contacted admin and told them I wanted no further contact AND I wanted them to have NO ACCESS to my page. That's been done.
My facebook is set to "friends only" anyway, so basically if someone ends up on my facebook it's because we've made arrangements in RL first.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:24 AM

25,906 posts, read 36,369,891 times
1. 50, I think. They are all family, friends I've had for a long time or people I work with (just a handful of those).

2. Sometimes people add everybody they can think of, or they just want the contacts for whatever reason. My husband plays some Facebook game that you can only play with friends, so the people who play it have hundreds of friends. They just add people who want to play them.

3. Just delete them from your friend list. The person is not notified. It's not like a note shows up: Woof thinks you are ANNOYING and doesn't want to be your Facebook friend anymore.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:27 AM

26,037 posts, read 33,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
[b]I recently wanted someone removed from my facebook and I simply contacted admin and told them I wanted no further contact AND I wanted them to have NO ACCESS to my page.
You don't need to contact the admin folks. You can do all this yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Just delete them from your friend list. The person is not notified. It's not like a note shows up: Woof thinks you are ANNOYING and doesn't want to be your Facebook friend anymore.
Exactly.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:32 AM

25,906 posts, read 36,369,891 times
A big reason I like Facebook is to share photos. We have lots of family who want to see pictures of the kids. We can just post a new album and everyone can look at once. Now I don't have to e-mail 10 different people and have 10 conversations going.

It's also useful for posting "notes," like a blog. We can tell people how our daughter's track meet went, or our middle daughter's music recital, or our son's first T-ball practice. Yes, we talk about our kids a lot there, but our families do ask!

I have to behave myself on Facebook anyway. My mom, my older daughter and my coworkers are FB friends.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:34 AM

26,037 posts, read 33,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
A big reason I like Facebook is to share photos. We have lots of family who want to see pictures of the kids. We can just post a new album and everyone can look at once. Now I don't have to e-mail 10 different people and have 10 conversations going.

It's also useful for posting "notes," like a blog. We can tell people how our daughter's track meet went, or our middle daughter's music recital, or our son's first T-ball practice. Yes, we talk about our kids a lot there, but our families do ask!

I have to behave myself on Facebook anyway. My mom, my older daughter and my coworkers are FB friends.
Same here. I set my mom up with a FB account because every time anyone sent her pics, she forgot where she downloaded them, no matter HOW many times I showed her. Now, all she has to do is go to her FB page. It's all there, and she can stay in touch with everyone as well (I have a lot of family on there!).

Old 04-25-2009, 07:35 AM

3,646 posts, read 9,637,911 times
I like living off the grid

922 posts later?! Really? WTF?!

Old 04-25-2009, 07:48 AM

12,977 posts, read 29,672,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
1) How many friends do you have on Facebook?

2) How is it that some people have hundreds of friends on Facebook?

3) What do you do when someone irritates you and you no longer want them as a Facebook friend? How is this best handled?
1. Just over 300.

2. For me its easy I only connect with people I know (friends, family, and those who I teach). My niece has almost 800 friends but I guess its something that one can expect with a beautiful girl who's a video game developer/junkie and "miss popular" at USC.

3. Hasnt happened yet because I dont accept friend requests from anyone I dont know or dont like in real life.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:35 AM

14,752 posts, read 28,646,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
so the older folk try to fit in by using the same lingo, then it is fun and anonymous, it is like high school socially and with cliques and their pecking orders, then it's also a chance to relive high school in a social way but this time with more confidence and using knowledge gained fromhindsight.

As to the "crap" on her accounts, is it because of the cute graphics and skins she uses? Maybe she also scrapbooks as a hobby and that's just her artistic style.
I could see the "stuck in high school" mode in this person. It's the wallpapers, the music lists that play, the graphics and everything else.

It's a consultant that works with us from another department, so I talk to him almost daily. It's a dude. Seems childish. My coworkers are amazed at how many adults (40+) we deal with have these accounts. It's like putting a dorm room on display.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:44 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,480,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You don't need to contact the admin folks. You can do all this yourself.
Yeah, I know but this guy I wanted to make sure was gone and as he'd managed to circumvent a friend who had blocked him I wasn't taking any chances. Plus I had to report something he messaged me anyway so it was just easier to get them to make sure he was "good and dead" while they were dealing with the other business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships