U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 09:03 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,169,058 times

Advertisements

I've got 3 "friends" on Face book (one of them is my son, so, and one of the other has his account desactivated...)
I don't believe much in the efiicacity of that network in making friends.
Maybe artificial buddies so one can boasts he's got 1000 friends on Facebook or Twitter...I just don't see the point, maybe I'm too old for this kind of networking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 09:04 AM

12,977 posts, read 29,682,037 times
I have a few friends who reached the maximum number of 5000 friends on FaceBook. They are unique in that they have "fans" all over the world who want to be their friends.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:16 AM

1,100 posts, read 2,664,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
1) How many friends do you have on Facebook? (100+)

2) How is it that some people have hundreds of friends on Facebook? It depends on what your interpretation of a "friend" is. My friends list is comprised of my family members, close friends, people from elementary, junior high, high school, college, former co-workers and business associates. However, I am very picky on who I will "friend." All of the people on my list are those who I have a keen interest in re-connecting with...

3) What do you do when someone irritates you and you no longer want them as a Facebook friend? How is this best handled?
You simply remove them from your "friend" list. They will not be notified. But they will no longer be able to see their posts (and vice versa.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:23 AM

15,564 posts, read 36,592,420 times
My facebook account was deleted because apparently you have to use your real name or something. So, whatever. I don't need it. I have a bunch of friends on Myspace - mostly dance friends, but there are other people too who've sent me friend requsts and after checking out their page, I've decided to approve them. Mostly other dancers. I don't know how many friends I have though.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:36 AM

457 posts, read 778,986 times
I have 128 friends. I just deleted about 125, because I didn't talk to them, didn't really care. I didn't say anything, I just deleted them. If it was a big deal to them then we should've talked more/at all. I'm sick of updates cluttering from people I don't care to see about.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:51 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,595,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You don't need to contact the admin folks. You can do all this yourself.
I think there is one button to click to block the person. I blocked a few ex girlfriends that kept bugging me with friend requests.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:56 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,595,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben242000 View Post
I have 128 friends. I just deleted about 125, because I didn't talk to them, didn't really care. I didn't say anything, I just deleted them. If it was a big deal to them then we should've talked more/at all. I'm sick of updates cluttering from people I don't care to see about.
Yep, I've gotten friend requests from former co workers and roommates and I was fine with that. But after a period of time that goes by and there is no meaningful conversation that goes on, I just delete them.

There are some friends on there that I knew years ago and maybe we exchange emails once a year or something and that's fine. They live 9000 miles away and they are no longer close friends but it's good to keep in touch.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:17 AM

1,152 posts, read 2,854,258 times
A lot of people here seem to not "get" Facebook. I'm going to try to explain why I use (and love) it.

1) It *is* similar to myspace, but GENERALLY with a more mature user base, and its far less sleazy.

2) Its a fun way to share information, photographs, and so forth with your circle of friends. This is true of even close friends. Sure, you could keep a blog, and a Flickr photostream, and other stuff to do the same thing, but Facebook does it all in one place. Granted its not as "full featured" as, say, having a full blog, but its pretty close, so unless you are hardcore about it its more than good enough. I can share photos from vacations, parties, service projects, etc, interesting web links I come across, and even general commentary with my friends, and then they can comment on it and so forth. Likewise, I can see pictures, links, etc that my good friends post.

3) Its a fun place for witty banter between friends. Probably not something most get unless one is rather digitally inclined though.

4) Its a good way to regain contact with, or to keep in touch with, people you knew in the past but have kind of lost contact with. This has happened for me with some high school friends. Because of Facebook, I met one old friend for dinner when I was visiting family in Houston, and am planning to get together with some HS people who ended up here in DC some time this summer. Sure, these aren't likely to be super close friends, but its good to stay in touch with people and hear what's going on with them, even if you DON'T ultimately get back in touch with them "in real life."

5) The event system is a great way to manage invites for parties and such.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:26 AM

3,907 posts, read 9,561,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
1) How many friends do you have on Facebook?

2) How is it that some people have hundreds of friends on Facebook?

3) What do you do when someone irritates you and you no longer want them as a Facebook friend? How is this best handled?
1- 279

2- Easier than you think. People I grew up with, used to work with, family, neighbors, etc. Adds up fast!

3- I don't add everyone who requests. If I don't know them, I ignore right away. As for de-friending, I've only done it a couple times to people who post lots of games and excessive crap.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:33 AM

10,736 posts, read 31,818,561 times
1. I have about 75 friends on Facebook. These are people I know, went to gradeschool with, high school with, sometimes family of classmates and others that lived in the same town as me, a couple are classmates of my siblings.

2. I think some people use Facebook as a way of meeting people, I don't but whatever floats your boat.

3. I deleted someone just the other day from both Myspace and Facebook, its an easy thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships