U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 12:18 PM

40,470 posts, read 39,987,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-IRISH View Post
1) 0
2) Don't give a rat's ass
3) Read #2
Best post of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 12:21 PM

40,470 posts, read 39,987,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I've got 3 "friends" on Face book (one of them is my son, so, and one of the other has his account desactivated...)
I don't believe much in the efiicacity of that network in making friends.
Maybe artificial buddies so one can boasts he's got 1000 friends on Facebook or Twitter...I just don't see the point, maybe I'm too old for this kind of networking...
I agree with this. I think people's ego's get involved and it becomes a contest to see how many friends. You could get.

Almost the same here on CD. Of course the people here on CD are much better "friends" than on FB.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:31 PM

10,736 posts, read 31,792,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree with this. I think people's ego's get involved and it becomes a contest to see how many friends. You could get.

Almost the same here on CD. Of course the people here on CD are much better "friends" than on FB.
I just use it to keep in touch with people I no longer see in my day to day life. People I have formed a bond with when I was younger.

We share pictures of our children, where we live, talk about whats new in our lives, sometimes play games against each other.

Recently a minister that I greatly respected passed away. He was a rock for my daughter and I when my own Father passed away 11 years ago, he was my neighbor at the time. His daughter got in touch with me via Facebook to tell me when the services would be. I was able to tell her how much I thought of her Father.

One of my high school teachers son passed away recently, he was a child I watched grow for the 4 years I was in high school. My friend who still lives in the town we went to high school in, collected pictures, photoshopped and generally cleaned them up. She made a presentation that was used at his memorial service AND posted them on a Facebook account that had been put up just for his memorial service.

There are many uses for Facebook. How shallow you are isn't because of Facebook, it just shows up when a shallow person JOINS and uses it for different reasons.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:12 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,620,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
My facebook account was deleted because apparently you have to use your real name or something.
Just curious...how would they know...does their system crosscheck against another source (such as IP)?

Old 04-25-2009, 02:42 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,068,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
My facebook account was deleted because apparently you have to use your real name or something. So, whatever. I don't need it. I have a bunch of friends on Myspace - mostly dance friends, but there are other people too who've sent me friend requsts and after checking out their page, I've decided to approve them. Mostly other dancers. I don't know how many friends I have though.
How do they know you are someone else beside Twinkle Toes?

Old 04-25-2009, 03:00 PM

10,996 posts, read 11,478,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
My favorite game on Facebook is the Lil' Farm...so cute. I am just having a problem harvesting my crops before they die! LOL
I like that game too. There's others I download from HP Games, they give you a 24 hour trial period, instead of the usual 60 minutes. There are some cute little games on MyPlayCity for kids that you get for free, not just a trial. So sometimes I download stuff from there too for my nephews.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:35 PM

42,837 posts, read 79,072,774 times
About those friends... I just looked at my list here. I believe last time I did there were one or two more. I could be wrong, but somebody might've dropped me. If it did happen, I can't figure who it is... And if I can't figure who it is, then it doesn't matter!

Old 04-25-2009, 05:35 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,474,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
About those friends... I just looked at my list here. I believe last time I did there were one or two more. I could be wrong, but somebody might've dropped me. If it did happen, I can't figure who it is... And if I can't figure who it is, then it doesn't matter!
As far as I can tell it wasn't me.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:12 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,851,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

To each his own, I guess! All my closest real life friends are on facebook. I think that's where people miss the point. They see facebook as a way to have "useless internet friends." For me, Facebook is, primarily, a way to share things digitally with REAL LIFE friends, including those closest to me. In fact, I don't think I have almost any "internet friends" on Facebook. Every friend is someone I see IRL regularly, or whom I knew IRL in the past.

So yeah, no offense to those on CD, but my friends on Facebook are true, close friends - here its mainly internet acquaintances at best!

Old 04-25-2009, 08:31 PM

102 posts, read 230,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
1) How many friends do you have on Facebook?

2) How is it that some people have hundreds of friends on Facebook?

3) What do you do when someone irritates you and you no longer want them as a Facebook friend? How is this best handled?
1. 710

2. i know a lot of people

3. if someone on facebook irrtates me i would either delete them or no longer pay attention to them on the site...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships