Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:54 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
1) How many friends do you have on Facebook?

2) How is it that some people have hundreds of friends on Facebook?

3) What do you do when someone irritates you and you no longer want them as a Facebook friend? How is this best handled?

1) 70

2) Some people know a lot of people. Some people have a lot of circles of friends. A lot of people with a large number of FB friends have a lot of acquaintances - people they met somewhere, and like to keep up with in a general sense, but aren't necessarily all that close to.

3) I've not had this happen. You can always de-friend, of course. But I'm not sure what someone could do on facebook to make me that agitated... =).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 11:11 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
He-he, yesterday I noticed a coworker had FB open and I asked her to let me take a look. Of course, she was surprised I didn't have an account and told me I should create one 'cause so many coworkers have them! Boy, is that an incentive or what?! I'm not an exhibitionist to begin with and displaying my personal thoughts to coworkers is the last thing I ever wanna do!

I do understand it serves some purpose for people here that it doesn't to me, but based on what I hear it's just another myspace for the most part. I remember it was exclusive when it first started and the original idea made sense to me, but I definitely don't care what people's moods are at any given moment, either.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:53 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,843,937 times
I have 13 friends on the facebook..and I don't care to increase them overthere.........What for??

Old 04-25-2009, 02:06 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
I don't want anyone finding me, so I don't have Facebook.

Getting a MySpace is ludicrous since I don't have any online friends. (Well, I do but ...come on, like 1).

And any other social network (like Twitter and such) also has no appeal to me other than finding people I investigate.

Oh and I like playing the games online.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:52 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times

Some people just add whoever they wish. Some join groups and add from there, from message boards, friends, family, etc

3) What do you do when someone irritates you and you no longer want them as a Facebook friend? How is this best handled?
I just delete. No explanation needed unless they email and ask.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:19 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I do have a facebook account and have 22 friends on there and you asked the million dollar question...I too cannot understand how some people have 100's of friends on there. Unless a person comes from a HUGE family with 12 brothers and sisters, all who are married, have kids, their kids have kids and EVERYONE has Facebook, I don't get that. I think some people just accept everyone who wants to be their friend which could not be a good thing all the time. I have taken someone off facebook and when you first take them off there, "remove" them, they are not notified right away...just delete them off your account. Not a big deal.

I do think that if people are out there just adding friends willy nilly, they need to be careful...lots of crackpots in this world.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:25 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I don't want anyone finding me, so I don't have Facebook.
Getting a MySpace is ludicrous since I don't have any online friends. (Well, I do but ...come on, like 1).And any other social network (like Twitter and such) also has no appeal to me other than finding people I investigate.
Oh and I like playing the games online.
I do think that people divulge way more informtion on CD than they do facebook and people do find out indirectly where you are and how you are feeling about stuff by being on here. Don't get me wrong...I really like this forum a lot and have "met" some interesting peoplel. It also gives me a chance to hone my writing skills which I love to do...had at one time started to write children's books then an autobiography of sorts...still need to finish both projects.

I cannot figure out Twitter, didn't like My Space and I too play a few games but am not on here much except for the early morning...sometimes on a rainy afternoon but that is it.

My favorite game on Facebook is the Lil' Farm...so cute. I am just having a problem harvesting my crops before they die! LOL

Old 04-25-2009, 05:23 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
I have 105 friends, all of whom I know well personally.
Most of my friends from England are on there and I love seeing their updates and usine the chat function to keep in touch with them.
Then there's school friends from the UK and my international boarding school, college friends, friends from when I was living abroad and friends from here. Oh and family of course.

When you live on a different continent from your friends and family it is easy to lose touch and slowly drift apart (well with the friends anyway). Facebook allows me regular 'contact' and it's helped to maintain my long distance friendships. It's invaluable!

I may be meeting up with friends today at Shadfest in Lambertville because they saw on my update that we were going.
The other day my husband had to unexpectadly stay very late at work. A friend saw my update and we went out for dinner. Stuff like that.

Some people just collect friends - meet someone at Starbucks and add them as a friend type of thing. I ignore a lot of friend requests especially if it's not someone I know well or like especially.

I do have several friends I would rather not have - my FIL's step daughter for example. I felt like I HAD to accept her, and now all she does is post complaining updates, but deleting her would cause family upset.
Then there's the girl who posts nothing but political updates. Annoying.
I might delete her one of these days, but we have a lot of mutual friends and I don't want to be mean.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:39 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
QUESTION:
Someone help me out on this...I have a co-worker who is an acquaintance and has all of these types of accounts with all kinds of crap on them, most of it immature...is this normal for someone in their mid-40s? I would think it's NOT normal...your opinion, please...
Normal? lol! I think that socializing online and through texting has a way of making mature adults revert back into high school mode behaviour-wise.. First, a lot of young people are using it, so the older folk try to fit in by using the same lingo, then it is fun and anonymous, it is like high school socially and with cliques and their pecking orders, then it's also a chance to relive high school in a social way but this time with more confidence and using knowledge gained fromhindsight.

As to the "crap" on her accounts, is it because of the cute graphics and skins she uses? Maybe she also scrapbooks as a hobby and that's just her artistic style.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:45 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Normal? lol! I think that socializing online and through texting has a way of making mature adults revert back into high school mode behaviour-wise.. First, a lot of young people are using it, so the older folk try to fit in by using the same lingo, then it is fun and anonymous, it is like high school socially and with cliques and their pecking orders, then it's also a chance to relive high school in a social way but this time with more confidence and using knowledge gained fromhindsight.

As to the "crap" on her accounts, is it because of the cute graphics and skins she uses? Maybe she also scrapbooks as a hobby and that's just her artistic style.

I can tell you that if you work in IT (and I have, all my life - so yeah I'm a geek ), IM'ng, FB and Twitter and other such tools can be an integral part of the culture. They most definitely are where I work. And as a function of that, you really learn to use them quite productively.

There will always be a segment of the user population (mostly younger) that uses these tools frivolously (trying to add friends just to increase your friend count is one way). But that doesn't meant the tool is of no value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships