Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 05:20 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times

Advertisements

One thing I have noticed about communication with so many people I have meet recently is they do not know how to have a conversation. Instead of having a nice conversation looking at each other in the eye exchanging smiles, enjoying each other and exchanging information, I am meeting lots of people who talk at me.

When someone talks at you they tend to stick with scripted responses similar to a forced business conversation. They do not really look at you and act like they do not really want to hear what you are saying. They tend to preach and lecture and speak in a robotic format. They look at your direction but do not connect with you in a real way. When I say something, they seem uninterested and tend to brush off what I say and return to their speech.

Have you noticed an increase in the number of people that tend to talk "at you" or "to you" instead of "with you"?

Last edited by Weekend Traveler; 05-02-2009 at 05:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 05:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Yes, I do this when people corner me and about things that aren't interesting.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:50 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
One thing I have noticed about communication with so many people I have meet recently is they do not know how to have a conversation. Instead of having a nice conversation looking at each other in the eye exchanging smiles, enjoying each other and exchanging information, I am meeting lots of people who talk at me.

When someone talks at you they tend to stick with scripted responses similar to a forced business conversation. They do not really look at you and act like they do not really want to hear what you are saying. They tend to peach and lecture and speak in a robotic format. They look at your direction but do not connect with you in a real way. When I say something, they seem uninterested and tend to brush off what I say and return to their speech.

Have you noticed an increase in the number of people that tend to talk "at you" or "to you" instead of "with you"?

interesting that someone here should bring this up...
i actually thought - and for quite a while now - i'd be the only one noticing such practice .... and worse: suspecting it to be strategy and tactics .....

seems a lot of (younger!?) folks are about to re-establish a "culture" which i personally rather would reject.

thanks, op.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:21 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
I've wondered something similar. Like does the younger generation have a whole different conversational mode? I work with younger people and it seems like they have these conversations where all they talk about is themselves - back and forth.
At first I thought geez
Now I wonder - have they just moved onto some sort of conversational shorthand?
Like they are listening to each other but just respond about themselves.
Its hard to think of an example.......
Um.....someone starts talking about having a problem with their dog
Response: Oh yea my dog on and on about my dog....(talking at the other person)
First person - babbles on more about their dog maybe picking up a thread or two from the first person like oh yea we put in a fence too (but its all about them if you get my drift)
Second person - again about their blah blah blah
They are having a conversation, they are hearing each other, they just aren't doing the old polite commenting on what someone else said, asking a question to show your interested....they are both talking at each other
total shorthand that sounds very self-involved but I'm not sure it is??????

Old 05-02-2009, 09:33 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,538,246 times
I don't have a lot of interraction with teens, but I don't find that to be true with my grand daughters.
A couple things came to mind when I read the initial post:
Is this sometthing more prevalent in an urban area, not so much in the country?
Maybe it's a result of how fast and hard kids are pushed these days so the've developed this verbal shorthand to help 'get it done'

Old 05-02-2009, 11:06 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
I have nothing to add. I just came in here to find out what 'talking at you' means. I've always wondered that. I can't say I've experienced it before--or maybe I just didn't notice.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:15 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Do you work with people that have Asperger syndrome or NPD? Because every time you post it seems like you describe people like that and it's really sad.

One of my buddies had Asperger and he acted the way you described but inside he was a gentle person even though he sure could rant about all the little details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post

When someone talks at you they tend to stick with scripted responses similar to a forced business conversation. They do not really look at you and act like they do not really want to hear what you are saying. They tend to preach and lecture and speak in a robotic format. They look at your direction but do not connect with you in a real way. When I say something, they seem uninterested and tend to brush off what I say and return to their speech.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:17 PM

This is common sense. "Talking at you" means they don't care what you have to say, what matters the most is the speaker and he will tell you what he or she thinks without regards to you or your opinions or feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
I have nothing to add. I just came in here to find out what 'talking at you' means. I've always wondered that. I can't say I've experienced it before--or maybe I just didn't notice.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:22 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Try a little experiment. Pay real real close attention to your interactions with people, whether they be sales clerks or close friends. You'll be surprised how impersonal and distant people are.

Many people are trapped in their minds and aren't' truly "present" when they interact with others.

Just watch.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:24 PM

Are you serious? I guess I am lucky that most of the sales clerks that I know are very personable and warm. That is why window shopping rules.

Sorry to invalidate your experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Try a little experiment. Pay real real close attention to your interactions with people, whether they be sales clerks or close friends. You'll be surprised how impersonal and distant people are.

Many people are trapped in their minds and aren't' truly "present" when they interact with others.

Just watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships