Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:53 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Someday in the future we'll all be some shade of tan or brown anyways. I never understood how some people put soooo much value on their ethnicity anyway.

We have this one friend and she's always railing on about Italian this or Italian that. I feel like saying WHO GIVES A F about your frigging ethnicity. I'm not always talking about mine.
I've heard this but I doubt it. In order for that to happen, a lot of racist people would have to cross their comfort zones. That'll never fully happen.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:58 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
Quote:
Someday in the future we'll all be some shade of tan or brown anyways. I never understood how some people put soooo much value on their ethnicity anyway.

We have this one friend and she's always railing on about Italian this or Italian that. I feel like saying WHO GIVES A F about your frigging ethnicity. I'm not always talking about mine.

I thought diversity was supposed to be the ideal. How are you going to have Diversity if everyone is the same?

Old 05-13-2009, 08:00 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
I can almost always spot Eastern Europeans and tell them apart from Americans. Every so often I'll mistake a Greek for Italian.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:03 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
Don't you think it's nice that each of us has a unique ethnicity and likes to celebrate our diversity?
frankly, no... while I believe what one "has"/is is great, I also believe that the focus on "diversity" is backfiring- people should emphasize what makes everyone the same, rather than what makes them different.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:10 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,547 times
Why? I'm a salsa dancer. And I am white. Very white. Yet I appreciate the ability to learn something that is DIFFERENT.

Salsa is incredibly diverse too, and I don't mean the races of the people, although it is worldwide. It's an afro-cuban dance that was invented in New York City and people of all races, Latin, White, Black, Japanese, etc. from all over the world dance it. But that's not what I'm talking about. People in Houston dance differently than they do in LA. And they dance differently than they do in NYC. And they are different than Miami, and Cuba, and Columbia, and Mexico, and Japan, and England, and the rest of the world. You can travel all around the world and witness people dancing to the same exact song in entirely unique wonderful ways. If everyone danced the same we would miss out on a big part of what makes salsa great. The music unites us, but the dance style provides for our uniqueness.

And embracing our cultural heritage is the same. We should embrace our history, not so it makes us feel superior, but so other people can experience us as unique individuals.

It's like the Scion motto: United by Individuality.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:10 PM

390 posts, read 905,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I really do not care what 'possible ethnicity' someone is...whether they are Caucasian or Asian or whatever.

Is there a reason we HAVE to tell each other apart?
Were just having fun.....I don't think it is a big deal.
Some people are proud of their heritage, and there is nothing wrong with that. Nobody is being racial or judemental here!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I can almost always spot Eastern Europeans and tell them apart from Americans. Every so often I'll mistake a Greek for Italian.

Bite your tongue young man!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:14 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
We usually have to sniff each others butts but yes we can tell each other apart.
That was funny!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Can you tell the difference between a Sicilian and an Italian?

MLV,
I am actually full blooded Sicilian. But, when I use to tell ppl that, they would give me a blank stare or ask what a sicilian was. So now, I just say italian, cause everybody knows what an Italian is. But gosh forbid my father finds out that I am saying Italian instead of Sicilian.

BTW MLV, why did your photo get moved from here? And where did it go?, I didn't get to see it.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:16 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
The true test to find an Irish guy.
Look for the dude holding the beer.
This made me chuckle. I, apparently, live with the only Irish dude on the planet who does not drink beer.

Do y'all think I can get a reality show out of this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.