U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2009, 11:19 AM
 
64 posts, read 166,194 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

I'm 31 and lived in the same area all of my life. I have a full time job and own a house in the sticks. I drive nearly an hour to work so I'm in the car for almost 2 hours a day. While it's nice to be close to nature and have bike trails nearby....there really isn't anything to do socially (team sports, bars/clubs, etc). This makes it nearly impossible to meet others my own age. Family is nearby but they kinda drive me crazy sometimes.

There is a college town about 20 minutes away and I have a gym membership there but it's not really a place to meet people.

As crazy as it sounds, I thought about renting out my house to my dad (who has expressed interest) and move to an apartment in a larger city or college town. Here are my options:

1) Move to the nearby college town and rent an apartment. But I'd still be nearly an hour away from work.

2) Move closer to work and rent an apartment. There is a small town about 5 minutes away to work. It's kind of a run down area though. However, there is a large city about 20 minutes away.

3) Move to a large city near work and rent an apartment. Only problem with this is that it is more expensive. I'd be taking a financial hit or have to get a higher paying job to afford (which may not be a bad thing since my job is pretty stressful).

4) Just pack up and move to another city (big city or college town) and find a new gig.

I hate to leave my house but kinda feel that if I don't make a move now then I'll never do it (or be too old to enjoy it). Of course maybe living in a big city or college town is overrated, and I am thinking the grass is greener on the other side when it is not....but I'm not really having much luck in the sticks meeting new people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2009, 11:23 AM
 
8,415 posts, read 35,319,016 times
Reputation: 6268
Do you have any friends that can hook you up with someone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 11:26 AM
 
64 posts, read 166,194 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Do you have any friends that can hook you up with someone?
The friends I had from college/early 20s are either married and we lost touch or they have moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 11:29 AM
 
Location: B'ham
296 posts, read 735,548 times
Reputation: 298
Move to the city. The outlying suburbs can offer wooded bike trails and other nature things that may interest you. You're still young and you'll probably never have the opportunity to do so again. Just stay for a year and see how you like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 11:40 AM
 
64 posts, read 166,194 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organized Mess View Post
Move to the city. The outlying suburbs can offer wooded bike trails and other nature things that may interest you. You're still young and you'll probably never have the opportunity to do so again. Just stay for a year and see how you like it.
How do you like Chicago? I thought about moving there but I'd have to switch jobs (which I'm not sure is a good idea now). Also concerned about the traffic. Also thought about Indy, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Madison WI. If anyone has any knowledge of those locations, any feedback would be appreciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 11:42 AM
 
8,415 posts, read 35,319,016 times
Reputation: 6268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus0123 View Post
The friends I had from college/early 20s are either married and we lost touch or they have moved.
Bummer!
Sounds like you just need a whole life freshen upper.
I would just move to the safest place you could afford. With renting you can change it up every year so if you do not like it after 12 months you can move again. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
37,113 posts, read 45,631,484 times
Reputation: 61732
You already know the answer. You are young and stuck in a rut.
There will never be a better time for you to move to the city and try it. What's the worst that could happen? You can always move back if you don't like it.
If your job is easily portable, cast your net out even farther and see where you end up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 12:05 PM
 
64 posts, read 166,194 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You already know the answer. You are young and stuck in a rut.
There will never be a better time for you to move to the city and try it. What's the worst that could happen? You can always move back if you don't like it.
If your job is easily portable, cast your net out even farther and see where you end up.
Worst that can happen? Find a new job and then lose it and not be able to find something else... Then again, there seems to be more opportunities in my field (IT) in a larger city. There are few opportunities here and my current job has been really stressing me out as of late....which is another reason to move I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 12:06 PM
 
64 posts, read 166,194 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Bummer!
Sounds like you just need a whole life freshen upper.
I would just move to the safest place you could afford. With renting you can change it up every year so if you do not like it after 12 months you can move again. Good luck!
Yep....sounds like that is the best solution right now. Thanks for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Delaware...Oi
1,293 posts, read 2,899,214 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus0123 View Post
Worst that can happen? Find a new job and then lose it and not be able to find something else... Then again, there seems to be more opportunities in my field (IT) in a larger city. There are few opportunities here and my current job has been really stressing me out as of late....which is another reason to move I guess.
Pretty much same boat at 35, just a house and established career at the job I currently have as the added variables.

Still plenty of other avenues to use, volunteering, hobbies and the like, still fairly hit and miss though.

Bars and clubs never appealed to me as I don't like alcohol though, sports I love playing but other than the odd double A baseball game it's just too boring for me. So generally, bars and clubs feel more like a second job than 'fun'.

About the only decent suggestion I've seen in most threads is learn to dance, that I will probably check out, as I had thought about it before, something fun, new and engaging. Rather than being at a club trying to hide my "OMG, shoot me now boredom", actually enjoying it for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top