Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 05:20 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Ever had a "friend" who just loves to pick at everything you do? It could be about something really dumb too. Is it jealousy? Is it hatred? And if this has happened to you, do you still talk to that person?

You drop those types of people,Period.They're not your 'friend' if they treat you like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 06:13 PM

323 posts, read 219,052 times
Yea i had. Its really weird. Its passive aggressive and maybe jealousy.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:14 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Lawd have mercy. 2009.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:19 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
You drop those types of people,Period.They're not your 'friend' if they treat you like that.

When they appear, they don't last long. Drop the hot potato.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:23 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Quote:
Ever had a "friend" who just loves to pick at everything you do? It could be about something really dumb too. Is it jealousy? Is it hatred? And if this has happened to you, do you still talk to that person?
Our friendship lasted 6 months. My husband felt like she was courting me and being overly flattering etc but then she started the mini insults disguised as giving me advice and then it got progressively worse. She thought I spent too much time with my children and doing my homework for college classes. She encouraged me to take a class with her fave teacher and friend but getting an a in his class sent her into a fury and petty accusations . I was done. What complicated things was that she was also my next door neighbor.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:29 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,412 times
Quote:
I wouldn’t bother spending time with someone like that, who isn’t a friend.

I am current my dealing with the Coat Inquisitor at the gym but due to his picking at me, I don’t like him (see my thread about calling a guy Mom).

Old 12-29-2018, 07:44 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
My childhood "best friend." I put both best and friend in quotes because I'm not sure she ever really liked me, or is capable of truly liking other women. She was jealous and mean and competitive about every single thing, down to getting engaged 2 months after I did (my marriage lasted, hers didn't, since it wasn't actually based on the spousal relationship). I knew her from infancy, so it really warped my view of what a friend should be like for a long time. I always felt like I could help her, or fix her, or be better and please her. I agonized over whether I should dump this person, which seems so strange to me now.

I finally cut her out of my life completely over 10 years ago and felt an immediate sense of relief. I crystalized my feelings into one sentence (which I never actually used on her) -- "I've made a new policy that all of my friends have to like me." I miss her brother and her mother, but I accepted that I had to give them up to give her up. I bet they understand why I did it, they've certainly seen how mean she can be.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:28 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
I had a friend like that in high school. The guy liked to say cutting things all the time. His mother was pretty much the same, which explains where he got it. i finally cut ties with him and found I didn't miss him one bit.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:39 PM

245 posts, read 152,811 times
Someone who insults you and puts you down is not your friend.

Also, if you catch someone trashing you behind your back, that person is not your friend.

You can talk to that person every day, go out to lunch, or whatever, but if either of the two above scenarios are going on, that person doesn't like you and doesn't really care about you. It's possible that you are being used or tolerated by that person for whatever reason, but I sure wouldn't trust him.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:46 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
It's usually jealousy. I had a toxic friend like this, she would put people down all the time. She was insecure because she never went to college and anyone who did, she felt inferior around them. So she'd put them down any way she could. I had a college degree and that really was a sore spot with her, but if someone had an upper level professional degree. she'd really go ape about it. It really was an issue for her. And the thing is, she was bright enough to go to college herself, she just didn't want to make the sacrifices to do so.

You can usually find out the source of someone else's jealousy: it's usually something you have, that they don't (whatever that is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships