Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 05:42 PM

350 posts, read 4,158,600 times

Advertisements

How do you juggle everything--work, spouse/family, house, friends, social life, free time, and hobbies? Do you feel constantly stressed out or spread too thin? I often feel that I am not doing a very good job at any of these things. The main thing is that I just don't have the time/inclination to cook much, so we eat out a lot (at inexpensive places).

I'd like to hear about people's daily schedules: how do you fit everything in? When do you fit in together time with your spouse, personal time, and time for hobbies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 05:51 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
How do you juggle everything--work, spouse/family, house, friends, social life, free time, and hobbies? Do you feel constantly stressed out or spread too thin? I often feel that I am not doing a very good job at any of these things. The main thing is that I just don't have the time/inclination to cook much, so we eat out a lot (at inexpensive places).

I'd like to hear about people's daily schedules: how do you fit everything in? When do you fit in together time with your spouse, personal time, and time for hobbies?
First of all, you have to learn to say "no" to some things. Many women, and moms in particular, are afraid to offend or look lazy so they won't turn down any request for help. Decide what the balance needs to be in your life and start turning down things that overfill your plate. Me personally, I'm only good at doing about 3 different things at a time, so I commit to those 3 things and politely refuse invitations or requests to be more involved than that.

As far as the cooking thing goes, you really need to get organized on that one. Eating out all the time will bust your budget and can cause weight issues. Do what I do, cook a few big pots of something on your day off (like Sunday afternoon) and put it up in different serving portions in the freezer for when you have less time during the week - just defrost and serve! I can get 3 meals out of one pot of gumbo or red beans and rice

Old 06-28-2009, 05:54 PM

153 posts, read 521,109 times
I think all of us feel overwhelmed at some point or another. Planning out my day in advance (the day before) really helps me to regain a sense of control. My personal time right now is my gym time. Working out is important to me so I make time for it. Time with my spouse is in the late evening after the kids are asleep. With work/school/family hobbies are relegated to the weekends for me.

I understand the lack of desire to cook, but I have found the crockpot to be my best friend when it comes to meal planning. You can do the prep work either the night before or in the morning and when you are most tired (after work) the meal will be mostly ready.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:14 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
I have NO CLUE how people with children do it! I can do (or not do) whatever I want and there still aren't enough hours in a day... When I get home exhausted, my energy is just enough to grab something to eat and drink and plop my rear in front of the computer. How you cater to a bunch of people's needs every day is just beyond me! I could barely deal with husbands and they weren't even demanding.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:17 PM

52,257 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I have NO CLUE how people with children do it! I can do (or not do) whatever I want and there still aren't enough hours in a day... When I get home exhausted, my energy is just enough to grab something to eat and drink and plop my rear in front of the computer. How you cater to a bunch of people's needs every day is just beyond me! I could barely deal with husbands and they weren't even demanding.

I agree, I don't have kids and can barely handle my life. I couldn't imagine being responsible for other people lives.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:36 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,240,283 times
I've been struggling with this lately, too. I'm bound and determined that I don't end up at the end of my life without having enjoyed it. I try every day to do something creative/hobby-like.

What I've done is list a few of things that are the most important to me, and then try to make time for those things; cooking, hobby/decorating our home, reading, to name a few...

Instead of trying to clean our whole place at a time, I try to pick a few chores a day so it stays on schedule. That helps a lot.

Try not to feel overwhelmed. You're not alone. Good luck!

Old 06-28-2009, 07:37 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
work, sleep, repeat. when I was in a relationship, it was work, sleep, spend time with her, repeat. Not hard.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:42 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
I try to plan ahead the meals so we can sit down together after working all day. I`ll cook on Sunday, so we have meals during the week, and that way, I don`t have to come home, after work, and spend all my extra time in the kitchen.
My husband is really good at helping me with the household chores, laundry, dishes, etc. and thats a big help!

Old 06-28-2009, 08:26 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post

Me personally, I never got caught up in spouse/family, house, friends, and building a social life simply because I have observed many people who have done this and wind up stressed out.

I have made the choice to live as simply as possible and ration my time with things I need to do (work) and things that I like to do such as exercise, read books, Restoration and most important; THINK!

I feel sorry for the many westerners that I observe who will never get any rest or even think esoterically until they take take there last breath.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:36 PM

283 posts, read 738,509 times
The only part of the juggling act I struggle with is making time for myself and my friends. Thankfully, my friends are all in the same boat, so none of us hold it against each other if we don't see or call for weeks at a time. As for home and family, I am an uber-scheduler. Get yourself a dayplanner type thing and plan meals, appointments scheduled, etc. way in advance and then force yourself to stick to it. Definitely invest in a food sealer and crockpot. Oh, and if you have to, wake up at 3am every day to have sex with hubby and then go back to bed for a couple hours. Works for us. But, all kidding aside, it is hard and anyone that says they really have it together is lying through their teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships