Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 11:27 AM

943 posts, read 2,274,409 times

Advertisements

I consider going to craigslist, but there is nothing but sleaze up there.

I just want some local people to talk to. I checked Meet up. I went to a few clubs here but it was all older women, and I didnt fit in.

I want to try and find PLATONIC FRIENDS, not romantic, male and or female. I just want to meet some people in local area, to talk to. I am disabled but not dead. Even the fact I am hanging out on the internet all day on July 4th should tell you all something.

I meet friends all over the internet, even some friendships that are 10 years old, and we talk on phone, but they all live long distant, I need to put that energy towards meeting people LOCALLY, so if I befriend someone in email, I can actually meet them.

Is Friendster the best? I want more intellectually inclined people like fellow bookworms but not picky, I just dont want to be posting on the sleaze all we want is sex fest websites.

Is there a website that specializes in PLATONIC friendship? {I dont have the computer power to play Second Life, and meet people that way}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 11:30 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,961,252 times
Why not just join local groups or clubs centered around your hobbies and such rather than resort to advertising? There are all kinds of those.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Why not just join local groups or clubs centered around your hobbies and such rather than resort to advertising? There are all kinds of those.
Yeah I know advertising for friends is lame. I *have* friends its just they all live over 150 miles away. I am working around health problems where my days in getting out are limited so if I could form an email friendship and work way up it could be rewarding from that level. I meet all these cool people online but they are never from where around I live!

I tried the clubs and groups when I was in better shape here, just didnt get anywhere. Everything is so formalized. if you are poor or working class or disabled never move to an affluent area, you will not fit in. I would want to meet even other disabled people.

joining groups in old town, and they worked with my health problems there is what worked. here the people just do not seem to be joiners.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:51 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,961,252 times
No, I didn't mean b'c it's lame but I thought getting out and just meeting people would be more enjoyable. Maybe take up a new hobby and start going to their meeting places. It's always fun to learn and do new things and making friends would be an added benefit, a perk. Good luck, whatever you do.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,789,746 times
Try meetup.com

It's a mass group meeting type of database, and while you have tried groups before, there's a wide variety of stuff in there, so they're not all formal stuff.

Hey, I feel your pain. I once put a "platonic" ad in the actual platonic room on Craigs list trying to seek out other photographer in my area to go on photo shoots with. I couldn't begin to repeat what was in the replies I got in here. Yikes.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:19 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,168,266 times
Whyte Byrd, there aren't necessarily "all kids of those", it depends on where you live. Atlantagreg she sais she tried meetup.
I'm hoping you get some good suggestions because I think there is a real need out there. I see lots of people here say "I just moved and am having trouble meeting friends". Once your past your 30s it gets harder and harder.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Whyte Byrd, there aren't necessarily "all kids of those", it depends on where you live. Atlantagreg she sais she tried meetup.
I'm hoping you get some good suggestions because I think there is a real need out there. I see lots of people here say "I just moved and am having trouble meeting friends". Once your past your 30s it gets harder and harder.
I know moving was a giant mistake, because I beyond 30s and I worried it may be too hard.

I am disabled and housebound a lot, but would like to see some human beings that actually talk to me once in a while when I can get out.

I have noticed even thin and healthy people are saying this on the internet.

I think too it gets harder and harder the older you get. And if you don't have children and there are limited family connections, or you are divorced, it can get really bad.

It seems there would be some FRIENDSHIP focused service, I actually did massive googles, found something in UK, if I remember right but that did not serve my needs.

And everyone is so sexed up, its like there are no other lonely people out there.

One person told me it is lame to advertise for friends. I said yeah I know its lame. I have friends. One friend of mine long distant, has told me you need to just be happy having your long distant friends, but I know time in some cases will break those down, I am not in shape or financial to travel. Except for very close college friends who Ive known for 25 years long distance and internet people who have always been long distance and talked to via email and IM, time alone will erode those away.

I of course probably will be moving soon too. Hopefully it will be to friendlier place. At least where I used to live was pretty friendly but so many friends left there....

Old 07-05-2009, 02:22 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,943,364 times
How about right here - in our very own CD Personals forum!!!

Old 07-05-2009, 05:15 PM

525 posts, read 1,847,932 times
Have you tried a local church?

Old 07-06-2009, 08:24 AM

Yeah thats true there are personals here.

Ive done church route, people are friendly there just dont befriend each other outside of church.

Well I will keep doing what I can.

I am more housebound so its made it much more complex, and this is a faster urban richer community making things far harder then a small town. I want to feel motivated but its hard with few friends.

I am surprised there are no websites that specialize in platonic friends.

One friend [long distant] you have tons of friends, [well just dont live here] what are you going to do with all these friends when you get them because of your health?

I just want someone to go to lunch with once in a while on a good day or even have over here.

I am facing the fact that I am deeply homesick and in grief over leaving last community. I think I have personality where I get more attached to places and people then most in this modern culture.

Oh well will do what i can. Thanks you all for helping me out

I know I will meet people here, I like the subjects here, this board is interesting.

Last edited by WheredoIlive?; 07-06-2009 at 09:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships