Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:42 PM

22,136 posts, read 19,195,499 times

Advertisements

What do you think of people who choose to live a simple life?

in terms of not having a lot of material stuff, and having that be a lifestyle they have chosen?

Another thread said they could never be with someone who "lacks ambition" but what if someone's choice and goal and desire in life is to live a very simple life, which on the outside may look like not a lot of money, not a lot of "stuff," and no desire to make a lot of money or get a lot of stuff.

If you are someone who has chosen to live a very simple life, what led you to that choice? What does it look like for you? And how satisfying is it for you? What reactions do you get from people to your choice of living a simple life?

And for everyone out there, what do you think of people who choose to live very simply, and why does it thrill, impress, baffle, or disgust you? What is your reaction to someone who has no desire to make a lot of money or buy a lot of stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 12:47 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,529,778 times
If they have chosen to live the simple life then more power to them!

Now if they lack ambition, live the simple life then whine about how unfair life is....I tend to roll my eyes at them and give them no credibility.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:50 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,343,435 times
I really do not care much about material things and I don't think it makes me lack ambition.

I see things here and there and some times cannot imagine how or why someone would pay so much money for them...

2,046 posts, read 5,584,911 times
I would love to be that person. I have heard about it, I forget what the word is they use...

I wish I could be! I go to the store and see the newest gadget and have to have it! I hate that. I see when I get home and the thing is junk yet I bought it.

I love the idea, I just wish I could put it into practice!

12,974 posts, read 33,943,283 times
Having no ambition and living a simple life are two totally different things IMO. Ambition means having goals and plans on achieving them. Someone who lives a simple life can still have goals and ambitions. Its just that maybe they dont need to keep up with the Jones' or amass lots of material things.

I think I live a simple life. I do need my high speed internet, my HDTV, MacBook Pro, iphone and Range Rover. I also would be happy making enough money to continue paying the mortgages on my house and condo while still being able to eat out and enjoy my daily Starbucks mocha. Dont need to be rich. Have lots of good friends, make money doing what I love teaching martial arts and helping people. Very simple life. But I still have a goal of opening my own Crossfit/martial arts gym. So you see, I live a simple life, but still have ambition.

Someone with no ambition is really just like a ping pong ball in the ocean. At the fate of the tide and waves. Lives paycheck to paycheck.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:51 PM

22,136 posts, read 19,195,499 times
so let's define "ambition" since that was the thread that got me thinking. What exactly does it mean to "lack ambition" ? Not be driven to make a lot of money, buy a lot of stuff, die with the most junk and the biggest house?

To me ambition is negative, because it is about being driven, obsessed, cut-throat, do whatever it takes to get what I want. To me ambition does not resonate with harmony, peace, beauty, wholeness, and joy.

So I am curious to hear why so many people see ambition as a positive attribute, when I see it as something toxic.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:53 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,943,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
so let's define "ambition" since that was the thread that got me thinking. What exactly does it mean to "lack ambition" ? Not be driven to make a lot of money, buy a lot of stuff, die with the most junk and the biggest house?

To me ambition is negative, because it is about being driven, obsessed, cut-throat, do whatever it takes to get what I want. To me ambition does not reonate with harmony, peace, beauty, and joy.

So I am curious to hear why so many people see ambition as a positive attribute, when I see it as something toxic.
As I said in my post above. Ambition = goals+plans to achieve them. Thats it. Its nothing negative at all.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:54 PM

951 posts, read 1,810,523 times
Quote:
Its the recipe for a low stress lifestyle but be warned, most people will not like or understand your choice.

In particular, if you are a male and are looking for a relationship, be prepared for slim pickings and a lot of rejection. North American society is not ready for this yet. Men usually still get rated on things like the car they drive and how big a house they are likely to afford.

Perhaps a few more years of recession may change things. The last generation who didn't think like this, came of age in the 1930s.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:54 PM

19,363 posts, read 15,217,290 times
Quote:

in terms of not having a lot of material stuff, and having that be a lifestyle they have chosen?

Another thread said they could never be with someone who "lacks ambition" but what if someone's choice and goal and desire in life is to live a very simple life, which on the outside may look like not a lot of money, not a lot of "stuff," and no desire to make a lot of money or get a lot of stuff.

If you are someone who has chosen to live a very simple life, what led you to that choice? What does it look like for you? And how satisfying is it for you? What reactions do you get from people to your choice of living a simple life?

And for everyone out there, what do you think of people who choose to live very simply, and why does it thrill, impress, baffle, or disgust you? What is your reaction to someone who has no desire to make a lot of money or buy a lot of stuff?
My life gets more simplified by the day.

What led me to that choice is that because the opposite way of life was not making me happy. You just start looking around, reading, thinking more about what's truly important. People say it over and over, especially people who are dying, that the simple things *are* the most important. It's just that a lot of people aren't listening, or don't see or feel it. I'm surrounded by people, including my siblings, who are just *driven* to buy more, have more, get more attention.

It all seems so tiring.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:56 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,529,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
As I said in my post above. Ambition = goals+plans to achieve them. Thats it. Its nothing negative at all.
I agree...and if your ambition is to live the simple life and you achive this...it's a good thing.

If your ambition is to live in the biggest house with the most toys but don't want to do anything to get to that place....then it's a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships