Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 11:32 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,601,478 times

Advertisements

I think it's hard for some women in their 20's to grasp that men in their 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's want to sleep with you.

As a guy - when you're growing up, older men usually tone down the sex talk around you. When you get old enough, they don't hold back anymore (the ones who were holding back to begin with), and you get to hear all the freaky sht that goes through their heads about young women. At least that's been my experience.

Standard disclaimer, these are generalizations, everybody is different, blah blah...
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 12:16 PM

19,364 posts, read 12,017,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
There's another older man I'm friends with. He was my counselor at my college, and I kept in touch with him and he came to my wedding (this other friend I'm writing about didn't come when I invited him). He & his wife are really happy, but at one time he told me "If I were your age, I would have married you." lol But it's been fine being friends with him. This other guy...don't know about him!

But if he really wanted that (the guy I'm posting about), wouldn't he want to meet for lunch while I'm in the city visiting another friend? I meant it in a friends way, but you would think he'd want to.
The counselor's comment wasn't really appropriate for a married man, even if it never comes up again. I doubt his wife would be happy he said that to his young friend.

Sometimes they just like to fantasize so they are having these thoughts but not willing to act on them. Still not the basis of a quality friendship, even if nothing sexual actually happens.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:51 PM

12,881 posts, read 13,546,698 times
There are a lot of issues that hanging out with people half your age brings to mind, some of it is awkward when it involves opposite sexes. My SO remembers a young guy who her dad spent time with doing things his sons would love to do with him, my father had a young male co-worker whom he supervised and this guy thought my dad was so cool, we didn't get it . My sisters thought he was kinda a nerdy. When I taught college age students I met alot of great kids male and female. Some females I thought were pretty interesting and could see having coffee or something with from time to time. but I didn't want to go there, Unfortunately its some of the guys I see and hit golf balls with or have a beer with from time to time. I say unfortunately, because I can't go to a 28 year-old woman's house pick her up and go to the driving range. Its also not good for his job if someone even thinks he is willing to put himself in an awkward position with the opposite sex. especially if you work with kids. "Thats just the way it is"

Last edited by thriftylefty; 08-07-2009 at 01:13 PM..

Old 08-07-2009, 02:52 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,836,741 times
It's really a shame there's such a negative portrayal of an older guy hanging out with a girl half his age.

So what do you others think his intentions were?

Old 08-07-2009, 03:24 PM

951 posts, read 1,806,348 times
Are older men afraid of being friends with someone half their age??

Are you joking? What they are afraid of is being accused of being a lecherous old guy who is unwilling to give women near his age a chance.

If this isn't the lowest of the low on this site, its a close second!

Old 08-07-2009, 03:25 PM

12,881 posts, read 13,546,698 times
I think what he was saying is he is going to miss chatting with you in this politically correct environment, i.e., during a commute,or in the hall way at school, or even online , but don't count on having any contact with me at a place that might arouse suspicion unless it is coincidental.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:20 PM

Any others?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:08 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,007,939 times
While I think it's cool to have friends of all ages, I wonder why you seem to talk about older men as friends.

You just got married. Should you not be focusing on your new husband? The one around your age...the one you SHOULD be hanging out with? Why do you have to try to hard to hang around older men when you married a guy who can go on dates with you??

Old 08-07-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
While I think it's cool to have friends of all ages, I wonder why you seem to talk about older men as friends.

You just got married. Should you not be focusing on your new husband? The one around your age...the one you SHOULD be hanging out with? Why do you have to try to hard to hang around older men when you married a guy who can go on dates with you??

lol I am spending time with him. What makes you think I'm not? I couldn't be happier. I think about my friends often, and it just bothers me how I've always had trouble being friends with older guys, whether I was single or taken. Older women it's no problem.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:29 PM

51,847 posts, read 52,247,919 times
While its possible that a 50 yr old guy would be friends with a woman half his age, the more realistic thing is that he likes her and wants to be more then friends.

I'm sure people have already said this. I'm basically 40 yrs old, and no offense to women in there 20's but I pretty much wouldn't be hanging out with a 25 yrs woman. Im sure the OP is a nice and friendly person, but being 10 yrs younger then the guy she talks about. Unless we really had a lot in common, I just can't see being friends with a 25 yrs woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships