Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 04:16 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post

Isn't it fair to say that a kids stability would be more affected by not having us both, rather than what town they live in?
Not at all. What I meant was that if you have a stable environment right now for them, that's probably better than moving cross country for a father who may or may not have a job and may or may not move again. One stable parent is better than two unstable.

And the saying that kids are resilient I think is a very broad generalization. It's easy to look at a kid and think they are okay, but you have no idea what's going on in their head. The issues will rear their ugly heads eventually, now or later. Think about how many f-ed up adults there are nowdays - this forum is a prime example (no offense ) - and all the issues they have. You think all those issues come from adulthood? Not likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 04:25 PM

264 posts, read 819,495 times
if there is nothing at all holding you in Fl, i would say go for it, but realize that you may be dissapointed no matter how near or far he is. i grew up with my father being about 7 hours away, which meant i saw him on christmas and during the summer, that was it. and yes, I feel that it had a negative impact on me in some ways, but basically I turned out just fine....as long as you have one loving parent that is looking out for you, i think you tend to be okay. But, I also know what it is to worry that they will be emotionally scarred by the decisions you make....my husband and I are separating this weekend, actually. Good luck to you, I know it is terribly difficult.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:53 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,900,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Would you say he is a good father? Uprooting your own life may prove to be a mistake down the road. What if he moves again, will you continue to follow?
I would say he's a very good father. The moving around thing was happening even before they were born, but it was due to job loss, or end of contract, that type of thing. The job in Boston is supposed to be an ongoing contract, although initially it will be for 6 months. The move would most likely happen in the Spring, so there is time to see how the kids adjust, and if the job seems stable enough.

I'm still not completely sure how I feel about doing it. It is true that I'm not really a winter person. The last couple of years though, the heat in FL has really bothered me, at least a lot more than it did 12 yrs ago when I chose to move from South Dakota. I always thought that if I could find a place up north that had everything I was looking for (nice community, good schools, activities, *near the ocean*) that I could make it my home. I'm drawn to the water, can't explain it really.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:03 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Quote:
I would say he's a very good father. The moving around thing was happening even before they were born, but it was due to job loss, or end of contract, that type of thing. The job in Boston is supposed to be an ongoing contract, although initially it will be for 6 months. The move would most likely happen in the Spring, so there is time to see how the kids adjust, and if the job seems stable enough.

I'm still not completely sure how I feel about doing it. It is true that I'm not really a winter person. The last couple of years though, the heat in FL has really bothered me, at least a lot more than it did 12 yrs ago when I chose to move from South Dakota. I always thought that if I could find a place up north that had everything I was looking for (nice community, good schools, activities, *near the ocean*) that I could make it my home. I'm drawn to the water, can't explain it really.
Lot's of us are drawn to the water. The New England area is a good place to raise a family and there are lot's of nice towns within 20 or 30 minutes of Boston. Cost of living is high though, so it's something to consider. Winters in Boston are nowhere near as cold as South Dakota, but they can still be long. Quincy and Plymouth are close to the ocean, and Cape Cod is about 90 minutes away. Great schools and plenty to do year round. In the end, only you know what's best for yourself, and if it's worth compromising or not. It's a tough decision, I hope you find a way to work it out that's a win-win for everyone.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:04 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,329 times
Quote:
I always thought that if I could find a place up north that had everything I was looking for (nice community, good schools, activities, *near the ocean*) that I could make it my home. I'm drawn to the water, can't explain it really.
Oooo choose Maryland then! Great state, beautiful beaches, lovely people and schools or Delaware too! You can take the Amtrak Metroliner up to Beantown anytime you like and anytime ex-hubby likes!

Old 08-07-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Lot's of us are drawn to the water. The New England area is a good place to raise a family and there are lot's of nice towns within 20 or 30 minutes of Boston.
I was looking in Plymouth or Portland actually, although I think Portland might be too far. NH has the benefit of no state income tax or sales tax, and since I wouldn't own for awhile, higher property taxes isn't really an issue. The idea of a winter rental in one of the places you mentioned is appealing because of the prices, but I hate moving.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:18 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Quote:
The kids are very young (14months and 2yr8mo), so he agreed to pay enough support that I don't have to work at the moment. That won't change as long as he has a job. However, it doesn't provide enough support to warrant me paying for childcare so I can work or go to school. I admit, one of the reasons I want him to be closer is so he can share in his responsibility. Whenever my son wakes up crying, you can bet I tell him about it. I know some parents choose to shoulder that burden alone, but I want him to realize what it will do to them if he doesn't keep up his regular visitation.

Being screwed up is what I am trying to avoid. Besides the issues with my son, my daughter is likely to grow up very untrusting and/or clingy towards men because she either gets used to him not being there at all, or him coming and going. That I have seen many times.

Isn't it fair to say that a kids stability would be more affected by not having us both, rather than what town they live in?
Your thinking is on the right track. Now start packing.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
Oooo choose Maryland then! Great state, beautiful beaches, lovely people and schools or Delaware too! You can take the Amtrak Metroliner up to Beantown anytime you like and anytime ex-hubby likes!
Thanks for that, but even on Amtrak I think it might be too far. It's worth checking in to though.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:44 PM

I think it says a lot about some of the people on here, that even though you've been through this as a child, you can still see both sides.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:23 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
If he is giving you enough support that you don't have to work, by all means you should move to where he is if you want the kids to have regular contact with him. With his job and the cost of flying it will be challenging for him to participate in their lives.

I grew up without my father and it has hurt me deeply. Unfortunately my father is dead so I will never have the option to see him. You have the opportunity not to deny your children their father. I promise they will be eternally grateful for this very selfless gesture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships