Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:22 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Its something I notice a lot in stoners and low achievers. Do you think it is due to natural occuring anxiety issues that hold them back from being able to deal?

IE:
Tried to talk about something last night with the ex (stoner) now roomate...

I said.."I am bored I want to read about something different."
He asked "what chocolate chip cookies" and smiled
To which I replied..."well no, but close..."
(thinking about what I was to say was the complete opposite of chocolate chip cookies and it made me laugh and raise my brow)
I continued: "I was thinking of really looking at nazi occultism...." And then went into pineal glands, dmt, wormholes, history of the pincone through various religions in time etc..."

I just thought about the one time that I held a real nazi pin and had to put it down because it felt so creepy. I always love to creep myself out since I was little...lol...But the meshing of theology, tyranny, and science just makes the whole nazi occult thing very interesting to me.

TO which he replied" Why do have to be so intense about things"
I thought :why do you have to be so dumb, boring and stoned. But just rolled my eyes and went back to reading.

It just seems that people like to be intense at times but always fall back into whatever you want to call it. I find that so boring. I like to be stimulated and challenged by the people around me. What is a good way to always find these people? It seems so freaking hard to find. I have only come across a few. My favorite was this old russian jewish lady I took care of. She LOVED to talk about stuff intense like this. But it would be nice to find it in the young as at 88 she was not going out for drinks with me..lol
Perhaps what your roommate really meant was, "I'm not interested in the things you are intense about." Some people are more interested in the here and now....and have their own interests. Some people are just not as intense about ANYTHING as some. Some people are way too intense about everything...and it's exhausting.

I am intense about things that I am interested in. I can be extremely passionate about those things and I'm sure there are plenty of people who can't figure out WHY those things get me so "worked up". Likewise with you, I'm sure. I know people who have tried to get me into conversations about things that I could care less about....much less understand why they get so incredibly intense when discussing those things. Again..... I just want them to shut up and find someone else to talk about it with, because I find the topic to be a complete waste of my time.

You need to find someone who has the same interests as you....OR broaden your own interests so that you have more in common with the people you are around. Do remember though that everyone is not the same. Some are intense about everything, some about what interests them, and some people are flat out laid back and don't get "worked up" over anything. I'm one of those who believe in "everything in moderation". There are times to be intense and their are times to just relax and go with the flow. Constantly intense people exhaust me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 09:45 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
I agree with beachmel above.....oh, and I don't think getting stoned, or even being intellectually inferiour, having ANYTHING to do with how intense/not intense people are about some things.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:51 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I think underachievers are scared of failing and therefore resign themselves to mediocrity since then they don't have to take chances and risks.
This. People who don't do a lot of deep thinking (and therefore really don't have well thought-out opinions on things) don't like being exposed by your kooky questions.

Plus, your muscle really often is like a brain. The more you use it, the stronger it gets. Someone who lets it get mushy can't muster up the mental strength and energy to analyze stuff past a certain point.

That point might be, "How many minutes to cook this frozen burrito?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships