Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 09:34 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,988,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Oscar and Felix from the Odd Couple come to mind when I read this...perhaps you are just poorly suited to spend a great deal of time with one another and should leave the friendship on the occasional phone call level...
thats EXACTLY what it is. we really are the kind of friends who need to keep contact to a minimum with like phone calls here and there, and going out to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 09:35 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
i am in austin now
O RLY? o_O

Weather is better than it's been in months! Good timing.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you are not uptight. i am uptight. i dont drink or stay up til 3 am that is not rare.
you are reserved and sound grounded. flirting and drinking is not a requirement.
see i always saw myself as reserve and grounded, but i do like things done my way. most things in life i will compromise with, but certain things i despise having to compromise (relating to my passion of traveling).

its kind of funny about flirting and drinking. our first night we went to the hotel bar and i had 2 drinks (my max!!!). a guy at the bar a few stools down kept looking at me during my conversation with my friend on goals i have. when the bar closed, he bought my drinks, but didnt offer for my friend. i think she was annoyed because she is the "hot and flirty friend". she didnt say anything though so i could be off. she also flirted with a guy and said "arent you going to buy me a drink" and he flat out said no.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:37 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
It sounds like you guys just simply have different interests and personalities. Maybe you could try talking to her and agreeing on a compromise? Instead of in by 11 or 3... maybe agree on 1am. Maybe you could agree to be the designated driver so that she can drink and flirt and you can be the responsible one, since it seems that is what is in your nature to do. Who knows, you might attract another designated driver type who will keep you company while your friend is off doing her own thing.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:40 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
Quote:
its kind of funny about flirting and drinking. our first night we went to the hotel bar and i had 2 drinks (my max!!!). a guy at the bar a few stools down kept looking at me during my conversation with my friend on goals i have. when the bar closed, he bought my drinks, but didnt offer for my friend. i think she was annoyed because she is the "hot and flirty friend". she didnt say anything though so i could be off. she also flirted with a guy and said "arent you going to buy me a drink" and he flat out said no.
Guys are often turned off by attention whores. Your friend makes me feel sad... she needs to cool it and grow up. She's headed for trouble.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
O RLY? o_O

Weather is better than it's been in months! Good timing.

yup. been here for 3 days and leaving to tomorrow for san antonio. i have to say, i change what i said about people here hating those from california. when i told people where i was from, they didnt seem all pissy about it. most people i met out here are transplants themselves. people are very friendly here and i like how they really seem to talk to you.

weather is actually a bit better than it is in la right now! we went tubing on the cormal today and walked about gruene. had breakfast and juan in a million where it poured for 10 minutes.

my favorite bar is the jackalope

i really like austin! only things that are kind of a turn off but not a huge deal is that it really does seem that many people here are super young <25 and are into the party lifestyle. the older ones are more my type of people here. the other thing is it seems like many streets have no street names posted, or they are posted but all the way to the right where a pole or tree is blocking the name.

also i dont get why people think east austin is all ghetto. it wasnt that bad to me, but then again, i live in la lol.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
It sounds like you guys just simply have different interests and personalities. Maybe you could try talking to her and agreeing on a compromise? Instead of in by 11 or 3... maybe agree on 1am. Maybe you could agree to be the designated driver so that she can drink and flirt and you can be the responsible one, since it seems that is what is in your nature to do. Who knows, you might attract another designated driver type who will keep you company while your friend is off doing her own thing.
yeah we discussed a compromise earlier with the going out thing. we will pretty much go our separate ways at night since i am not really a bar or club hopper. she did add that i am boring and i dont like to do anything, but i bit my tongue on that one...

i just wish certain things could really be how we had discussed them to be in the beginning (ie when to wake up, what to see and do etc).

Old 09-05-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Guys are often turned off by attention whores. Your friend makes me feel sad... she needs to cool it and grow up. She's headed for trouble.
she really is a pretty girl and has this super outgoing personality where she makes a lot of small talk. i find it odd that guys havent bought her drinks to be honest. when we go out, she asks "hot" guys to take a picture of her that she just passes on the street. they flirt with her, but thats the extent of it. she doesnt take it seriously though so it doesnt seem to bother her.

im starting to think that maybe she exaggerated certain things to me before we started going to bars. she always insisted that she never pays for her drinks, and that guys always come up to her and offer. im not using this as something against her at all, i just think at times she tries maybe to impress me.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:49 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:
yup. been here for 3 days and leaving to tomorrow for san antonio. i have to say, i change what i said about people here hating those from california. when i told people where i was from, they didnt seem all pissy about it. most people i met out here are transplants themselves. people are very friendly here and i like how they really seem to talk to you.

weather is actually a bit better than it is in la right now! we went tubing on the cormal today and walked about gruene. had breakfast and juan in a million where it poured for 10 minutes.

my favorite bar is the jackalope

i really like austin! only things that are kind of a turn off but not a huge deal is that it really does seem that many people here are super young <25 and are into the party lifestyle. the older ones are more my type of people here. the other thing is it seems like many streets have no street names posted, or they are posted but all the way to the right where a pole or tree is blocking the name.

also i dont get why people think east austin is all ghetto. it wasnt that bad to me, but then again, i live in la lol.
Austin is very open. People here, on the whole, are very friendly and open. And you are right, there are so many transplants here because of the tech boom and somwhat affordable living that it's really impossible to say that we wouldn't welcome anyone.

It depends on the area you are in. You might be in the vicinity of UT - you'll find a ton of youngins there! And they party hard. Cast your net a little wider and you'll find the rest of us. If you are around downtown, you'll find mostly young 20s in the 6th street area and the older crowd on 5th and 4th.

As for the east side - it depends on the area you go to. A lot of the east is being revamped and is turning into yuppie-wood. There are still some really rough spots, though. If you haven't found them, you're doing well!

You should have reminded me you were in town. I work on 4th and could have met you for a drink after work.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Austin is very open. People here, on the whole, are very friendly and open. And you are right, there are so many transplants here because of the tech boom and somwhat affordable living that it's really impossible to say that we wouldn't welcome anyone.

It depends on the area you are in. You might be in the vicinity of UT - you'll find a ton of youngins there! And they party hard. Cast your net a little wider and you'll find the rest of us. If you are around downtown, you'll find mostly young 20s in the 6th street area and the older crowd on 5th and 4th.

As for the east side - it depends on the area you go to. A lot of the east is being revamped and is turning into yuppie-wood. There are still some really rough spots, though. If you haven't found them, you're doing well!

You should have reminded me you were in town. I work on 4th and could have met you for a drink after work.
what areas in austin have an older than 25 but younger than 45 vibe where they are hippies/bohemians/dance to the beat of a different drum? south austin? i would really love to live on or just off barton springs. i love that area.

i actually didnt care for the warehouse district. it reminded me too much of la actually lol. i do love the bar at moonshine though as well as the food there. i actually found a few places on 6th that were cool and 6th was a bit better than i thought! however, i am not really someone who could do more than a day a week at a bar and cant spend all night at bars.

i will be back in austin in a week or so for a day so maybe we will cross paths
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships