Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 02:36 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I terminated my account. I had people trying to befriend me that I have not seen in years. People provide way too much information about their personal lives. I like anonymity.
I prefer that too. Plus the ones I really want to stay in touch with, I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 05:45 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Does it **** you off if friends don't "FaceBook" with you? On the flip side, do you wonder why others facebook?

I don't know how many times I have been asked, "Do you have a FaceBook page?" I mean, I get asked about it A LOT! I guess it is the thing now because the women I have met always seem to ask. Is this suppose to be a man's background check?

What kind of people do you noticing using it from your past?

I just never really got it, or got into it. I'm the last hold-out from the popular clique from HS. I have nothing to be ashamed about, great body, great career, etc. In a way, it is not that I am ashamed of anything but too humble to post anything up. In all ways, I am better off than those I know. I figure, no use rubbing it in their face.

And two, I have a wide variety of friends and take care not to mix the two. I don't see any way to not do this on FaceBook from what I understand. I personally know old church ladies that are facebooking but also know the town skank facebooking also. You see, I have friends across all spectrums. Would be kind of weird for a godly friend of mine to visit my facebook, look through MY friends and see another good friend of mine wearing red panties and spread eagle.

And three, I just can't sit down at night and update my life or even care to. I'm kind of a private person in that light. I'm not really into reading over other people's lives either. I more of a "caller" and that applies to texting also. I tend to call everyone at least once a month to catch up.
Facebook is a choice, nothing more, nothing less....I like it due to the contacts I've made from my past...it's like a class reunion and enjoy hearing how others are doing, how they're families are, and viewing pictures of they're families...however, like anything else, it can be abused...or over or under rated....but to believe that your weird for using it or not using it, is just plain unintelligent...it is prefrence, choice, and up to the individual...those who judge, one way or the other, would simply judge you about anything...do what you choose, and don't base your happiness on the approval of others...

Old 12-31-2010, 06:17 AM

727 posts, read 540,280 times
Yeah that is annoying.. Are you in facebook, are you on skype, youtube, msm... what ever... No, you have my address and phone number my friends, come visit, call or text.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:49 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,315,874 times
I've told some of my friends over and over again that Facebook is just not for me. I wish them the best...I'm happy that they enjoy Facebook...But I'm a private person and don't want to post a public page...Some of these friends have been pushy with me at times...Even though I've told them that Facebook is not for me they keep trying to convert me...It feels like a religion or ??? I receive "recruitment" emails from Facebook saying that your friend "so and so" invites you to join them on Facebook...Some people just won't give up until they get everyone they know on Facebook....This is being pushy...I don't want to be pushed to do things...I'm happy to write to friends through regular email at any time...Or we can stay connected through phone calls or personal visits when it's convenient etc....I've said "no thank you" many times in a nice way but some people won't stop....They are out to convert me. They take things way too personally as far as I am concerned and can get defensive...Why can't they just accept my feelings and back-off?

Old 12-31-2010, 06:59 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
Can us Non-Facebook C-D'rs start our own club?

I guess if I want to see personal family pics of so and so, or similar, I must get a Facebook account? Seriously?

Old 12-31-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I've told some of my friends over and over again that Facebook is just not for me. I wish them the best...I'm happy that they enjoy Facebook...But I'm a private person and don't want to post a public page...Some of these friends have been pushy with me at times...Even though I've told them that Facebook is not for me they keep trying to convert me...It feels like a religion or ??? I receive "recruitment" emails from Facebook saying that your friend "so and so" invites you to join them on Facebook...Some people just won't give up until they get everyone they know on Facebook....This is being pushy...I don't want to be pushed to do things...I'm happy to write to friends through regular email at any time...Or we can stay connected through phone calls or personal visits when it's convenient etc....I've said "no thank you" many times in a nice way but some people won't stop....They are out to convert me. They take things way too personally as far as I am concerned and can get defensive...Why can't they just accept my feelings and back-off?
Then you have the right to let them know you are offended by them not being able to comprehend your feelings about this...and you should...if they are going to make such a big deal out of it, then they're intellect is very shallow.

It's amazing how society refuses to understand, that just b/c you think one way and they think another doesn't make you wrong and them right...people do not possess the intellect to allow and accept others for who they are and what they believe in...they actually think everyone else should think and believe what they do...and if not, then your strange or weird. However, I would not allow them to make you feel the way you do...some people cannot actually hear a person say no, unless you hit them with a 2 x 4?

Old 12-31-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Can us Non-Facebook C-D'rs start our own club?

I guess if I want to see personal family pics of so and so, or similar, I must get a Facebook account? Seriously?
No you don't have to get a Facebook account, if you don't choose to...what works for some, doesn't work for others and again, it is very shallow minded to believe otherwise...don't look for the approval of others for happiness....let them go, let them have they're fun on FB, however, live your life to the fullest and don't allow them to upset you...remember, a friend is able to not only allow you, your beliefs, but understands a bigger picture...we're not all the same, we don't all have the same likes and beliefs...

Old 12-31-2010, 08:22 AM

I have a few friends who don't do emails or texts...I respect their feelings and wishes and lifestyle. I pick up the phone and call them or send them a postal letter when I want to connect with them. No biggie...I don't make them feel stupid or bad or wrong just because they are not "computer people" or "texters" etc...Facebook seems all about "mass recruitment." I've never seen anything like it ever before...It's spooky to me and annoying. No one should enter my name and email address into Facebook files without my permission yet it happens all the time...I keep receiving "invites" from so-called friends through Facebook. Are people getting kick-backs for recruiting new members into the "flock" and "fold" or what? I don't pester everyone I know to join City-Data or other forums...Facebook is taking over the world...We're all suppose to "go public" and get everyone we know to join the "flock" on Facebook too...No thank you! Leave me alone! Get off my back about joining Facebook!

Old 12-31-2010, 09:20 AM

507 posts, read 1,537,664 times
I have a FaceBook page, it started out as a way to share pictures with my sister who lives long distance from me. For a short while it morphed into something more... I guess they call it "social networking"... and I was looking up old classmates, etc. I found that FaceBook encourages this.. and I felt some kind of weird pressure to get more "friends" LOL Then I saw the dark side where it was sooo easy to "stalk" and I think even if people don't realize it there is a subconscious competition of sorts that goes on... When I'm photoshopping my pics to look more attractive something ain't right Then I had a week where I had to go out of town for work, and I stayed in the same hotel and traveled with another woman I work with, and we were on each others FaceBook... I saw how much she embellished her status updates to make it seem like the trip was much more exciting than it really was

So my infatuation with FaceBook ended, and I decided to keep it real. I deleted my account and a couple weeks later made a new one. Now I only have family and a couple close friends, not a big list, lol and the purpose really is just sharing photos and truly important info. I went from logging on every day for that initial couple months to now maybe it's once a week.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
I have a FaceBook page, it started out as a way to share pictures with my sister who lives long distance from me. For a short while it morphed into something more... I guess they call it "social networking"... and I was looking up old classmates, etc. I found that FaceBook encourages this.. and I felt some kind of weird pressure to get more "friends" LOL Then I saw the dark side where it was sooo easy to "stalk" and I think even if people don't realize it there is a subconscious competition of sorts that goes on... When I'm photoshopping my pics to look more attractive something ain't right Then I had a week where I had to go out of town for work, and I stayed in the same hotel and traveled with another woman I work with, and we were on each others FaceBook... I saw how much she embellished her status updates to make it seem like the trip was much more exciting than it really was

So my infatuation with FaceBook ended, and I decided to keep it real. I deleted my account and a couple weeks later made a new one. Now I only have family and a couple close friends, not a big list, lol and the purpose really is just sharing photos and truly important info. I went from logging on every day for that initial couple months to now maybe it's once a week.
Good for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships