U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 05:07 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,400,817 times
That's good 'cause it caused a socially awkward situation at an inlaw get together... one of them was like add me, and was like totally pressing me about it, I was just like OK I will, then never did it, but I know they are gonna bug me again the next time they see me.

I already got myself in hot water over a little myspace issue, don't need history to repeat itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 08:37 PM

3,441 posts, read 4,739,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Fake names can only go so far.....remember, they can always look up your IP address.

Smart gal

Yea, there really is no such thing as privacy on the internet. EVERYWERE you go you can be traked by your ip address. There are ways around it.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
What kind of people do you noticing using it from your past?
The extroverts and the ones who were or wanted to be the center of attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Does it **** you off if friends don't "FaceBook" with you? On the flip side, do you wonder why others facebook?

I just never really got it, or got into it. I'm the last hold-out from the popular clique from HS. I have nothing to be ashamed about, great body, great career, etc. In a way, it is not that I am ashamed of anything but too humble to post anything up. In all ways, I am better off than those I know. I figure, no use rubbing it in their face.

And three, I just can't sit down at night and update my life or even care to. I'm kind of a private person in that light. I'm not really into reading over other people's lives either. I more of a "caller" and that applies to texting also. I tend to call everyone at least once a month to catch up.

The one thing that I found interesting about "social networking sites" is that all the linking of people creates a small world that you CAN SEE; so it's true, your only 5-6 people away from knowing the president or some other prominent figure.

In regards to the networking sites, no, I don't subscribe to ANY of them. I don't subscribe because when it gets down to it, I'm not going to waste my time posting pictures of myself to connect with people who really don't care about my well being (To be fair, I don't care about there life either). I'm a realist, so I believe if somebody cares about you, or really wants to be with you, or it was meant to be, then they would be in your life RIGHT NOW IN THE PHYSICAL FORM. If they are in jail, dead or missing then obviously that's different.

But all this contact with people has gone a little to far, to the point now where it's gets annoying; you know, you get messages like; "so hows it going!?" Sff, I'm like, "it's the same **** as the other day you called/texted/emailed!" This is partly the reason why I turned off my email feature here on CD; it's just a relief to not haft to reply back to anybody or feel obligated to anyone.

Anyhow, I think largely the reason why these social sites are doing so well is because they appeal to vanity. You know, Americans love showing off how successful they think they are, and they like to show others that they live an exciting life (when they really don't) and facebook/myspace gives them the opportunity to do that. Just look at the pics, everybody tries to attach themselves to something of greater significance then themselves such as sports teams, celebrity's, designer clothes. Also, it seems like after a certain age people are more reluctant to make new REAL friends (who could be BETTER) as they invest lots of time in maintaining virtual old friends from the "good times".

Last edited by Morphous01; 09-26-2009 at 10:08 PM..

Old 09-26-2009, 09:31 PM

5,806 posts, read 4,086,220 times
I've never gotten into facebook, mtsoace, twitter, etc. Just doesn't interest me at all.

PS if you are worried about IP tracing just use a proxy. Or if you are like me and travel a lot remember each hotel, airport, coffe shop network will assign you a different IP addy.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I've never gotten into facebook, mtsoace, twitter, etc. Just doesn't interest me at all.

PS if you are worried about IP tracing just use a proxy. Or if you are like me and travel a lot remember each hotel, airport, coffe shop network will assign you a different IP addy.

The proxy makes the internet much slower, but yea, it does work but I do hear it can be backtracked. I mean, the party you are connecting to, how do you know it's not a government hub posing as a proxy or something like that.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:57 PM

13,779 posts, read 16,099,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
The proxy makes the internet much slower, but yea, it does work but I do hear it can be backtracked. I mean, the party you are connecting to, how do you know it's not a government hub posing as a proxy or something like that.
It can all be traced Trust me on this one...

Old 09-26-2009, 10:58 PM

23,212 posts, read 16,825,349 times
Facebook is pretty cool, I've connected with a couple of guys I haven't talked to in many yrs.

JMHO.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:59 PM

13,779 posts, read 16,099,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Facebook is pretty cool, I've connected with a couple of guys I haven't talked to in many yrs.

JMHO.

I was just contacted by a high school friend who had moved overseas during our junior year and we lost contact during college...it was great to hear from her!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:18 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,024,649 times
Default Interesting thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I'm not a Facebook person. There are several reasons I don't use Facebook. One, I'm not satisfied with the level of control over your information that it provides. I'm a very private person and am very particular about what information I share about myself and with whom. Two, I think it encourages laziness. Meaningful relationships are worth working hard to maintain.

Too many Facebook people look down on the rest of us who dared not to jump on the bandwagon. I despise that attitude.

I'm likely in the minority in that I don't participate in any social networking site where I need to identify myself and where others search for me and add me to their list of friends...For those of you that do and enjoy it, I think it's great and don't have anything negative to say about it, on a personal level. If it's a way to keep in touch with distant friends and relatives, I think it's positive.

But I think DennyCrane has a point about the sites encouraging laziness in some people. I also think it makes it easier for us to view one another as less "human" - without the give-and-take of conversation there is only my opinion of you as I look at your "page". As we discover more and faster ways to communicate with each other, the quality of our communication may tend to decrease.

Stay with me here...Just like on this forum - which I enjoy because nobody has to "friend" me and I can participate in discussions about all the subjects that interest me, in real time - social networking sites offer a way for us to disagree and even insult each other remotely. Sometimes it's dehumanizing. We've all heard of the "virtual bullying" that goes on with adolescents. It happens in a more subtle way with adults as well.

Again, I'm not condemning the activity. If you enjoy FB or myspace or any other site, great. But like a lot of other technologies, I think it may discourage real open discourse - face to face with people different from ourselves. Just my opinion.

I think too much I need to get out and talk to some people

Old 09-27-2009, 09:42 AM

7,318 posts, read 7,790,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Anyhow, I think largely the reason why these social sites are doing so well is because they appeal to vanity. You know, Americans love showing off how successful they think they are, and they like to show others that they live an exciting life (when they really don't) and facebook/myspace gives them the opportunity to do that. Just look at the pics, everybody tries to attach themselves to something of greater significance then themselves such as sports teams, celebrity's, designer clothes. Also, it seems like after a certain age people are more reluctant to make new REAL friends (who could be BETTER) as they invest lots of time in maintaining virtual old friends from the "good times".
I agree 100%. There's no shortage of Facebook defenders who will go and on about how great it is for networking, for reconnecting with people from your past, for keeping friends and family updated and staying current with them, etc. But there's also a huge element of vanity to these tools. In the age of reality TV where ordinary people compete for their 15 minutes of fame, it's no wonder that sites like Facebook and Twitter have become so popular. Everyone wants to be the center of attention and feel important. To think that what you have to say is worth being read by someone else requires a certain degree of narcissism. And I realize that applies to posting on a message board. The difference, however, is that on Facebook and Twitter, people are generally posting about themselves.

I remember in the early days of the internet, its critics said it would make people socially inept and cause them to hide behind their computers. I generally scoffed at those critics for being narrow-minded, but a lot of what they predicted has become true. People waste more time on Facebook updating their profiles and chatting with people they'll never meet. Instead of talking on the phone or taking the time to meet a friend in person, they send short text messages or follow each other's Twitter feeds. It's sad. I have a childhood friend who I rarely see because he lives in another city. But we talk over the phone and email regularly because we make the effort. Hearing some people defend Facebook makes it seem like they couldn't function without it. I tend to measure my relationships with people based on how hard I'm willing to work to keep them alive, not how convenient they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships