Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:28 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times

Advertisements

[quote=cremebrulee;10951246]
Quote:

Exactly Denny, a lot of my friends, do live in other cities...hence, the convenience of facebook....besides, I'm on the phone all day long, when I come home from work and on weekends, I would prefer not to be on the phone, although we do call each other from time to time...but what doesn't seem fun or logical to you, isn't always the case for others....

and yes, your right, real friends are there for you when you need help, but to be honest...I don't believe I would vocalize my need for them if things were bad...b/c personally that is the way I am...I don't expect people to be there for me? Don't know if that makes sense?

It makes me very happy to learn where these people are in life, to see their families, kids, grand kids and to rejoice with them, when they post videos of their vacations, important news about their families...oh, yes, Denny, they are my friends....and that is the total comfort of technology today.

If you don't use it, fine, if you do use it, fine...but what bothers me is, I was at a reunion this past summer, and two women were poo pooing it and mocking it...b/c they didn't use it...so I told them, for me, it is a perfect tool, for keeping in touch, and since my son is in Afghanistan, it's great, b/c he is contantly posting where he is going, when he's landing, etc...for our entire family, which saves him time and keeps us all up to date with how he's doing. He can also go in there and send us all private emails, which is very convenient.
I don't deny that Facebook can be a useful tool for people to stay connected. Like most tools, the value comes from how you use it. The problem is many Facebook users use it more to talk about themselves and feel important than for anything else. While they do use it to stay connected with friends and relatives in other cities, even other countries, most of the people I see using Facebook use it more to talk about themselves, post photos and videos about themselves, even discuss what they're doing or how they're feeling at a given moment. There's a huge element of narcissism to how a lot of people use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 11:11 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
[quote=DennyCrane;10952809]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

I don't deny that Facebook can be a useful tool for people to stay connected. Like most tools, the value comes from how you use it. The problem is many Facebook users use it more to talk about themselves and feel important than for anything else. While they do use it to stay connected with friends and relatives in other cities, even other countries, most of the people I see using Facebook use it more to talk about themselves, post photos and videos about themselves, even discuss what they're doing or how they're feeling at a given moment. There's a huge element of narcissism to how a lot of people use it.
I'm sorry, I disagree...any human being enjoys talking about himself/herself....it's human nature to want to share stories about they're lives...why the easiest way to meet people is to ask them about themselves....and that breaks the ice.....

Denny, I don't see people in there being narcissistic....why I've contacted with so many past friends, it's so great and makes me happy to hear about them...and people ask them to tell us about themselves?????? It's the nature of the beast....lol...

but your certainly entitled to your opinion...I'm certain there are some people who do misuse it...but for the most part, I don't believe it is the majority....honest

Old 09-28-2009, 11:23 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
You guys made me search the facebook. Everyone looks so old that I have not talked to in years.
(over 10 years ago) I am finding it funny that people are looking me up! I find it just funny to think of them as a young adult or kid..and to see where they are in life now. I always wondered that as I did not keep in contact with many people from that time with all the moving I did.

I even found my old neighbor that I used to play with when I was 8!

Its funny because we used to tease him about being nerdy..he is now an accountant. LOL

How myspace was kept me far away from facebook. I could not stand one more spamy p()rn or
friend wh()re.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:32 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,145 times
I use Facebook, but feel sorry for those who have to announce everytime they leave their house or do something, pathetic.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:35 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
I don't use Facebook because you really can never delete what you post. You may think it's gone but that digital signature remains. That account is forever. I don't want things I've done on the internet to last forever. But that's the sad state of the way things are around here.

Plus, ever notice when someone is kidnapped or murdered-involved in a crime or victim, they PULL FACEBOOK information and use all that to piece together the crime! My Space, Facebook, YouTube! Anywhere you regularly post YOUR information. I can't tell you how many times I've seen those MySpace/Facebook pages of people who have died, and people come back to post on them from time to time like birthdays, or "shout outs". It's damn creepy. Like an electronic ghost.

Bizarre.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:35 AM

I just don't know why you would tell people about that(small nothings in your day)...what is that?

Old 09-28-2009, 11:39 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I just don't know why you would tell people about that(small nothings in your day)...what is that?
They are the same people you see walking around in public with the cellphone up to their ear 24/7. Not talking about anything important, it's just that they HAVE to be attached to something.

Remember the world before portable cell phones? I do. Fewer spaced out self absorbed people. That motorola flip phone came out and then everybody had a phone up to their head spaced out and into their own world. Yacking away on the cell phone like nobody else was standing around them.

Those are the same people who Twitter and Facebook constantly.

Can't stand to be alone with their thoughts.

Last edited by LuckyGem; 09-28-2009 at 11:48 AM..

Old 09-28-2009, 11:43 AM

Mm...I don't even have a cell phone. I don't see what the big deal is with that either. Had one and got rid of it because I would rather be alone with my thoughts than whatever crap people talk about on cell phones. My fantasy:

YouTube - Annoying Bluetooth Talkers

I would only get one now for the street apps or web browse calorie counts.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:54 AM

440 posts, read 1,030,210 times
Ready for this???? I dont have a facebook, an ipod, a laptop, a blackberry, or an iphone!!! It's nto bc I cant afford it, its bc I have NOOO need for it!! haha people think I'm crazy when they tell me to pick a song fromt their ipods and I say "uhhhhh how do I work this thing there's just a circle and one button!!" haha! AND a couple of people I work with asked me how I listen to music if I dont have an ipod I just started laughing and told them I listen to the radio and cds...their reply "one day cars wont be made with CD players anymore, what will you do then?" Made me think of just how out of control things are today! I understand the point of facebook and it really is great for communication, however, I dont see the point to updated my mood every hour haha!

Old 09-28-2009, 11:58 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
[quote=cremebrulee;10955138]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post

I'm sorry, I disagree...any human being enjoys talking about himself/herself....it's human nature to want to share stories about they're lives...why the easiest way to meet people is to ask them about themselves....and that breaks the ice.....

Denny, I don't see people in there being narcissistic....why I've contacted with so many past friends, it's so great and makes me happy to hear about them...and people ask them to tell us about themselves?????? It's the nature of the beast....lol...

but your certainly entitled to your opinion...I'm certain there are some people who do misuse it...but for the most part, I don't believe it is the majority....honest
People do like to talk about themselves. But very people want to listen to someone go on and on about themselves. It's one thing to use Facebook to talk about your son's latest birthday celebration or mention that you just landed a new job. But sending out "25 Things You Didn't Know About Me" lists? This just reeks of narcissism. Why? Because no asked you to list 25 things no one knew about you. I don't want to know what my friends had for lunch or that they're feeling at every moment. But this is the kind of stuff people write about on Facebook and Twitter. And it's not just a handful of people. Almost everyone I've seen who uses Facebook is guilty of doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships