Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:00 AM

167 posts, read 477,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
Were you happy with your new step siblings?

Both siblings were born after my father and step mother married. The middle sister and I fought like baking soda and vinegar. I'd say cats and dogs but even then sometimes they get along. I remember crying when the youngest was born because I so badly wanted a brother. lol She looked up to me because I was the only one who payed her any attention. She would cry when my friends would pick me up to go to a football game because I was leaving her.

Did you feel they were treated differently?

I don't feel they were treated differently because it was a fact they were. Even family member's on my step mother's side mentioned it to my step mother how she favored her kids over me. I just accepted it and kept my mouth shut because it was easier that way.

What was the age gap?

Six years to the middle sister and 12 to the youngest sister.

Were you expected to look after them?

I was expected and hated it.

Did you feel resentful?

I felt resentful because I wanted a job when I turned 16. I wanted to start earning my own money but I was expected to stay at home and watch the girls. It was expected of me because I was the older sister and since it was expected I never got paid.
To this day I don't have a relationship with either of them. I joined the Marine Corps and left right after high school to run away from our dysfunctional family and haven't looked back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 09:16 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Some of you folks would probably really benefit from speaking to a therapist about your feelings. It's really sad to me that so many of you are apparently still so wounded by your parents choices to have other children

Old 11-09-2011, 09:30 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
My parents divorced when I was 13. My father remarried when I was 15 and he and his wife had my half-sister when I was 17. Soon after they moved out of state.

We've never been very close, mainly because we were raised apart in different families and would only see each other on certain weekends and holidays. My half-sister is definitely spoiled. She has always been treated as an only child and given practically whatever she wants.

She got a car at age 16; a paid-for college education; a fancy wedding; and a downpayment for a house plus money for furniture. Myself and my two other sisters received none of these things.

I don't begrudge her these things; my dad was older when he had her and could provide more for her. But, it did result in her being self-centered. She thinks the world revolves around her and everything should stop when she wants/needs something.

Other than that she is a lovely woman, a gifted artist, and very active when it comes to volunteering at her church. We'd probably be closer if we didn't live so 500 miles away from each other.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:26 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Some of you folks would probably really benefit from speaking to a therapist about your feelings. It's really sad to me that so many of you are apparently still so wounded by your parents choices to have other children
I was recently reading an article about divorce. It was saying that parents like to themselves that it's better if children aren't raised in a crappy a marriage, but the effects of divorce on children far outweighs that of being raised with a crappy marriage and for many kids it stays with them for the rest of their lives. It is sad.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:39 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Temporarily.

My parents divorced when I was 13 due to infidelity on my father's part. He left and moved in with his mistress [they eventually got engaged] who had 3 children. 19,13, and 7 [I note the ages because there was three of us from my parents and our ages were 18, 13 and 6 -black brandy bunch!]

Anyways, they were all girls [for us, two boys and a girl] and the daughter was HOT! Wish I would have kept her number.

The kids were cool, but the mother hated us and told my father she didn't want us over there. Which led to the two separating and my father getting back with my mother.

I was pretty hurt about it when my parents split because they had be arguing, but I thought they would work it out. That's when I came home for school one day and I walk into the house and all my dad's stuff was gone and than my mom told me he left. At this time; I didn't know there was another woman involved. He came and picked me up and when we got there; it got worse! I found out they had a house together and she had three kids. That's when I saw the hot daughter and all my resentment and hate toward my father went away.

I think his chick didn't like me because I called her a homewrecker.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 6,884 times
I have 4 half siblings. All 4 from moms side. All r younger than me. We all have different dads. On my mom s on her 7th bf. I always see them as my own siblings. My mom s planing for twins

Old 05-13-2013, 07:06 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,885 times
I have one half-sibling who is younger than me, but we were both raised in different families so I can't really answer a lot of the OP's questions. The age gap was two years. I was a little resentful when I found out my mother had another child after me, mostly because we were all separated.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:36 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
I'm a bit curious.

If your parents divorced and then remarried and had more children.

What was the age gap?
Did you feel resentful?

I'd love to hear your stories.

Yes. One. He is in his early 30 and I am 20 years older. My mother died. My father quickly remarried his secretary who asked us to leave the house.

I never lived with him. I know when my father dies his wife and their son, this man get the lion's share of the money.

Yes I feel resentment. Mostly though, towards my father. He was the gatekeeper here, not the wife or their son.

He is not a sibling to me.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:37 AM

2 posts, read 6,884 times
Ya am 18. My sis 12. My mom is 40. My mom remarried a muslim man. My step dad is 42. Mom and stepdad had a baby now 2years. My stepdad having 3 sons from his previous marriage 15,10 and 7

Old 08-10-2013, 11:36 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
I'm a bit curious.

If your parents divorced and then remarried and had more children.

What was the age gap?
Did you feel resentful?

I'd love to hear your stories.

Actually, I feel sorry for him. This balding 32 year old, sitting around playing video games with no job.

I think when the connecting parent is the mother, the outcome can be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships