Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 06:11 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,120,981 times

Advertisements

I'm very late 20s and seem to only hang out with friends I've had for 5 or more years. Seems like it's hard to connect with other people nowadays and develop anything more than an acquaintance. Anybody else experience this as you get older? What is it like in your 30s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 06:15 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,834,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
I'm very late 20s and seem to only hang out with friends I've had for 5 or more years. Seems like it's hard to connect with other people nowadays and develop anything more than an acquaintance. Anybody else experience this as you get older? What is it like in your 30s?
You stay close to the true friends and lose the rest..make new ones with the same job or life experiences you have at that time.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:34 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,984,935 times
I would say it was easier to make friends in my 30s than 20s. In the 30 something age group people have grown up a bit and make for better friends.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:39 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,322,977 times
I have made more "true" friends in my 30's compared to my 20's. By true friends I mean ones that are long term rather than the one's in my earlier years. I was in a different place then and as I got older my preference for certain personality types changed.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:56 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
I think it gets harder to find people you want to be friends with.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-07-2009, 06:58 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,654,563 times
Quote:
I found it easier in my 30`s as well, to make friends. I was more settled down, and looking for an entire diffrent type of friendship, and conversation, than in my earlier years.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:16 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,485,152 times
i think if you lived in the same place your whole life and there are no "new" people moving in, then it really is harder to make freinds as all of them have freinds already. when you come to a new situation, new job, etc, that is when you find new freinds.
people just seem to stick together with old freinds. you dont really have to work as hard

Old 11-07-2009, 07:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,130,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
people just seem to stick together with old freinds. you dont really have to work as hard
Exactly. And many already have enough family and friends and even if they like you they don't necessarily need you or have time for you...

Old 11-07-2009, 09:28 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,070 times
You're probably stuck in a rutt.
If you always try new things, you'll probably meet new people.
If you meet new people, you'll probably make new friends.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:11 PM

350 posts, read 4,157,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Exactly. And many already have enough family and friends and even if they like you they don't necessarily need you or have time for you...
I have found this to be very true--I'm always on the receiving end of this. People seem to be "crazy busy"--they already have their family and friends so they don't have time or want to make the effort to start a friendship with someone new.

I'm in my early 30's and have found it much more difficult to make friends in my 30's than in my 20's. I think the main problem is that I'm married, but don't yet have kids, and so it's hard for both me and my husband to find people to hang out with who are in the same circumstance. Single people don't want to waste their time hanging out with us, and married people tend to have kids at this age so they prefer to socialize with couples who also have kids or they just don't have time. In my 20's, it was much easier to make friends, as people tended to still be single or to be married without kids, and thus it was easier to find others to relate to. We have had zero luck in making any friends in the last several years--it's very lonely, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships