Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 07:53 AM

408 posts, read 807,767 times

Advertisements

does anyone else have friends on FB who update their status at least every half-hour if not more? I've deleted quite a few people for over-sharing.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:54 AM

29,685 posts, read 34,216,632 times
There are a handful of people that I've hidden, like my sister-in-law, because otherwise I'd be inundated with the Farmville crap. I didn't have to unfriend her, though, because that probably wouldn't go over well.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:02 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,610,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There are a handful of people that I've hidden, like my sister-in-law, because otherwise I'd be inundated with the Farmville crap. I didn't have to unfriend her, though, because that probably wouldn't go over well.
Yeah, I have two friends whom I've hidden but not deleted. One is getting increasingly snarky and vocal about his anti-Christian views, and the other is waaaaay too preachy.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:07 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,805,175 times
I was VERY happy when they came out with the ability to hide app updates. My timeline was chaos. Farmville, Mafia, Sorority Life, whatever... but still, it's like a game in itself finding all those app updates and putting them on "hide".

Old 08-06-2010, 08:08 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,649,358 times
These kids that get all worked up over being deleted by a pseudo-friend on FB, how will they react the first they they are rejected for real, such as being dumped by a boyfriend? Suicide?

Old 08-06-2010, 08:10 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,805,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
These kids that get all worked up over being deleted by a pseudo-friend on FB, how will they react the first they they are rejected for real, such as being dumped by a boyfriend? Suicide?
I'm sure there's an app for that, too.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:13 AM

29,685 posts, read 34,216,632 times
I think the whippersnappers actually break up over Facebook. Log in, see that your boyfriend's relationship status is now "single", post your own emo status update. Done.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:21 AM

37,489 posts, read 45,772,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
btw, only two of my friends on fb are not friends of mine in real life. The other two are friends from a message board I was on for a long time that mysteriously went down and we all struggled to find each other.

So maybe that makes a difference. If your fb friends are your real life friends then the whole thing makes a lot more sense than if you just add random people who also happen to like "The Office" or something.

edit: Don't know if this makes any difference but I'm college-aged, 23 *shrug* but yes, I do see that as mostly true of people around my age and high school age.
I follow that logic as well. My FB is for my family and friends. Not "virtual" friends. If they are not someone whom I truly care about, then they have no place on my FB page.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:39 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,573,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I follow that logic as well. My FB is for my family and friends. Not "virtual" friends. If they are not someone whom I truly care about, then they have no place on my FB page.
Same here. I don't think I've ever had to 'unfriend' anyone on my FB, but I have pissed quite a few people off by ignoring or declining their friends requests. I have LOTS of angry messages from people I'd rather not publicly be friends with because half their pictures are of them doing illegal things (snorting coke, drinking with underage kids, smoking weed etc.).

Old 08-06-2010, 10:48 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,449,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy14 View Post
Do you realize how much importance you place on something so trivial? So you find out someone unfriended you, then what? You confront them? You need that "closure"? You want to know why you weren't good enough for them? It probably was someone just cleaning out contacts they don't actually... contact. Or maybe it was someone just wanting their close friends and family on their friends list. Whatever the reason, they'll think you're a little weird for contacting them, you've put them on the spot, they now feel awkward, and you have just validated their decision to remove you in the first place. Next step: BLOCK. If it was something more than that, then it would have been discussed OUTSIDE of Facebook.

I'm guessing you're young, and you're of the generation that is becoming more and more dependent upon technology to maintain shallow relationships. Facebook, texting, IM, etc. Face to face communication is no longer a necessity. You NEED that number of friends to validate your feelings of self-worth. When that number goes down, ohhhhh, you take it personally.

Kinda scary when you think about it. Think about it.
Out of the 2 people I mentioned earlier, one of them has 750 friends and one of them has over 1,000 friends. Obviously they don't just have family and closer friends. And if they were just cleaning out the contacts they don't actually contact, they missed a lot of people. It's hard to discuss something outside of facebook when they live 2,000 miles away and one of them I've never even met in person.

I've only asked someone why they deleted me once and that was because they accepted my friend request then within minutes they deleted me. I thought that was odd so I was wondering why they accepted me just to delete me. I never got a response.

But even if I asked these people why they deleted me, they would deserve it. If they have they nerve to delete me, the least they can do is give an explanation. It's not putting them on the spot because they were fully aware of what they were doing when they decided to delete me. They deserve to feel awkward, and they're weird for deleting me out of the blue.

Yes, I am young. I am part of the generation facebook was designed for in the first place. Not until recently did facebook become so popular with old people. If facebook was invented when you were 35+ years old, you're too old for facebook. It's just my opinion. The same way it's just your opinion that deleting people is no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships