U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-06-2010, 08:50 PM

3,625 posts, read 2,816,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I just unfriended 30 people, because this thread inspired me to thin the heard.

Let's hope none of them were bunny boilers.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:58 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,219,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Heaven help me, I'm a writer, too. The trouble starts when these kids get put in charge of websites because they "know technology" and they think writing is nothing more than SEO keywords.

Don't get me started.
Ready, set ...

(!!!)

Just kidding. Or shall I say, "j/k?"

For purposes of web writing, knowing SEO is important, as that's how a website gets ranked. But there's a fluid, nonobvious way to do it, and then there's the bad, clunky "LOOK!" method. Very few people can use SEO words so that they blend in seamlessly with the rest of the text.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:01 PM

8,986 posts, read 4,641,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
That's soooooo immature of you.
/merrily skips off twirling hair

Old 08-07-2010, 10:07 AM

6,046 posts, read 6,063,806 times
All I'm saying is if you're going to delete someone due to lack of contact, you should ask yourself is there's a reason for the lack of contact. For all you know, they might want to see you more often but they just can't for whatever reason. I gave an example earlier of how I go to a college of 13,000 so there are some people I don't cross paths with very often. It's not like I choose to rarely see them, but that's just what naturally happens. You shouldn't delete someone for a reason that's not their fault.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:14 AM

3,625 posts, read 2,816,040 times
You can delete someone for any reason you want to. You don't take vows when becoming FB friends. "I take thee, Facebook Friend, through sickness and in health, with much contact, or very little, until death us do part". This is not a legally binding contract.

Some people simply don't feel the need to have every person they're acquainted with on their FB friends list. But if this worries you, there's still the phone, email, paying a visit, actually being a friend... and then maybe you'll get back to being FB friends, again. Yay!

Old 08-07-2010, 10:18 AM

4,928 posts, read 4,464,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
All I'm saying is if you're going to delete someone due to lack of contact, you should ask yourself is there's a reason for the lack of contact. For all you know, they might want to see you more often but they just can't for whatever reason. I gave an example earlier of how I go to a college of 13,000 so there are some people I don't cross paths with very often. It's not like I choose to rarely see them, but that's just what naturally happens. You shouldn't delete someone for a reason that's not their fault.
Apparently, you are not as important to them as you think you should be. It's ok, just move on and don't let it bother you. If you are offended so easily, perhaps you should not be on a social networking site.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:34 AM

What I was trying to say is I would have liked to see some of these people more often but I couldn't. I don't think they realize I wanted to see them more often. They probably assumed I was avoiding them, and that's why I am not as important to them as I should be.

I think it's selfish if you go to a college of 13,000 and expect all your facebook friends to hang out with you constantly. It sounds like these people think they're more important than they really are if they seriously believe all their facebook friends are capable of seeing them on a regular basis. They are the people with an exaggerated sense of their importance, not me.

Yes, you can delete someone for any reason you want to. But it's not cool to delete someone over a reason they can't control. I won't bother with email, phone, or visiting. The fact that they deleted me over such a stupid reason says something about their character so even though it bothers me that they deleted me, I don't want to go back to being facebook friends (or real life friends).

I guess you could say these people are friends I lost but shouldn't have. I don't want to be friends again, but I also think we never should have stopped being friends in the first place.

Last edited by city_data91; 08-07-2010 at 10:45 AM..

Old 08-07-2010, 10:44 AM

Here's an analogy. You have a good job and then your boss fires you for a stupid reason. Chances are you're going to be upset you lost the job. But at the same time, you would probably hate the boss for what he did to you.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:44 AM

4,928 posts, read 4,464,822 times
Sounds like you need to re-evaluate your definition of a friend. There is a difference between friends and acquaintences. I think of Facebook "friends" as acquaintences moreso than a friend (family being an exception).

It's juvenile of you to think anyone who "unfriends" you on Facebook has some duty to notify you. They are busy with their own lives just like you. If you don't interact with someone on a continual basis, you tend to grow apart. I'm sure there wasn't some devious intent to offend you, maybe they were just cleaning up their list and since they haven't had contact with you in a while, you were deleted along with possible others.

You are putting too much importance on your e-friends and failing to realize what the definition of a true friend is.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Sounds like you need to re-evaluate your definition of a friend. There is a difference between friends and acquaintences. I think of Facebook "friends" as acquaintences moreso than a friend (family being an exception).

It's juvenile of you to think anyone who "unfriends" you on Facebook has some duty to notify you. They are busy with their own lives just like you. If you don't interact with someone on a continual basis, you tend to grow apart. I'm sure there wasn't some devious intent to offend you, maybe they were just cleaning up their list and since they haven't had contact with you in a while, you were deleted along with possible others.

You are putting too much importance on your e-friends and failing to realize what the definition of a true friend is.
Like you said, facebook friends tend to be acquaintances. So even if I am more of an acquaintance than a friend, why should they delete me?

It's foolish to go to a college this size and delete someone just because they can't be with you 24/7.

Even if we grow apart, that wouldn't matter if they viewed me as a friend. If they viewed me as a friend, they would make an effort to see me more often, or they would wait for me to make an effort to see them more often. Or maybe they would realize that I can't see them very often due to reasons beyond my control.

I went to high school 2,000 miles away from my college. Some people from high school deleted me and maybe it was because I don't see them very often. But my true friends from high school kept me as facebook friends because they're mature enough to realize there's a reason why I don't see them very often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships