Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 02:17 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
What I think others are trying to say is that you didn't have a reason to think of this guy as a friend. He was someone you knew from school. An acquaintance. This doesn't mean he dislikes you or bears you any ill will--he probably doesn't.

Not in a long time, no. I am friendly with almost everyone, but I don't consider many people my friends. A friend is someone I can call and say, "Hey, it's Julia," not someone who merely recognizes me and will answer, "Julia who?"

I update my FB status once a week or so, and I post links to funny or interesting things I find. If people don't want to read these things and delete me, that's fine. I don't care. I don't consider that a betrayal. A person I barely know cannot betray me.
Ok, so maybe we were just acquaintances. But our acquaintanceship started out with him knowing we were friends on facebook. It didn't seem to bother him at the time that he was facebook friends with just an acquaintance. It's not so much the deleting that bothers me, it's the fact that he waited so long. If he didn't want an acquaintance as a facebook friend, he should have deleted me sooner. Or even better, not added me in the first place. I would rather have a stranger reject my friend request before college started than have an acquaintance delete me after a semester.

Whether he used to be a friend or an acquaintance, he is neither now. I haven't spoken to him since November. I wonder if he remembers me. For all I know, he might think of me as an acquaintance now. But he's not. Just like I used to think of him as a friend, but he was not.

If I don't want to read a link someone posts, I just don't click on the link. If I don't care about someone's status, I just don't comment/like. I don't see that as a reason to delete someone. I have 400 and something friends so I can't be worrying about what one person posts.

Even if I was just an acquaintance, we were on the path to friendship as far as I knew. So yes, I count that as getting betrayed. I spent a semester trying to make an acquaintanceship a friendship, only to have my efforts washed out to sea.

Last edited by city_data91; 08-09-2010 at 02:54 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Betrayed Kid I hope you're an English major because you have a career in writing ahead of you.
I don't know if that's supposed to be a joke (if it is, I'm not laughing). But to answer your question, I am not an English major.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:41 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Put this on your FB page. It should get the message across that you appreciate friends. Watch you friend count rise overnight.

YouTube - ‪Andrew Gold - Thank You For Being A Friend‬‎

Old 08-09-2010, 02:52 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
This has been mentioned on this thread, but let me remind people that you can "block someone" on Facebook and you won't see their posts and not potentially offend or hurt their feelings by "unfriending" if say, for example, you just find their posts boring. Sometimes I just temporarily block someone if they are posting a lot of stuff that I'm not interested in...such as politics (even I agree with them, enough can be enough!) or the details of your child's potty training.

I don't think I have ever deleted anyone and I have only refused to friend one person that asked (obviously I had a reason.) I just don't want to hurt people's feelings by de-friending. I know maybe it shouldn't be a personal thing, but I feel that for a lot of people including myself, it is. That's why I'd rather just block someone than de-friend them.

Last edited by kaykay; 08-09-2010 at 03:18 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
This has been mentioned on this thread, but let me remind people that you can "block someone" on Facebook and you won't see their posts and not potentially offend or hurt their feelings by "unfriending" if say, for example, you just find their posts boring. Sometimes I just temporarily block someone if they are posting a lot of stuff that I'm not interested in...such as politics (even I agree with them, enough can be enough!0 or the details of your child's potty training.

I don't think I have ever deleted anyone and I have only refused to friend one person that asked (obviously I had a reason.) I just don't want to hurt people's feelings by de-friending. I know maybe it shouldn't be a personal thing, but I feel that for a lot of people including myself, it is. That's why I'd rather just block someone than de-friend them.
That's the difference between you and me. If I am not interested in someone's posts, I just scroll over them. I don't feel the need to block them. My news feed is random after all. It's not their fault if a post they made that I don't care about ends up on my news feed.

But I like your view on deleting people. It's too bad there's not more people that think like you. Some people just don't realize that other people have feelings and their feelings might be hurt if they get deleted.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:01 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,181 times
I think you mean "hide" instead of "block." Blocking actually is worse than unfriending because you not only break the connection but the person can't even see you if they searched for you. Hiding means they are still your friend but you don't see their posts on your news feed. They can still make comments on your page and you will see that if you hide them.

If someone constantly posts things that I don't want to see I just hide them.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I think you mean "hide" instead of "block." Blocking actually is worse than unfriending because you not only break the connection but the person can't even see you if they searched for you. Hiding means they are still your friend but you don't see their posts on your news feed. They can still make comments on your page and you will see that if you hide them.

If someone gets blocked, they might not realize they got blocked. If you search for someone's name and can't find them, you might just assume they deactivated their account.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:13 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
That's the difference between you and me. If I am not interested in someone's posts, I just scroll over them. I don't feel the need to block them. My news feed is random after all. It's not their fault if a post they made that I don't care about ends up on my news feed.

But I like your view on deleting people. It's too bad there's not more people that think like you. Some people just don't realize that other people have feelings and their feelings might be hurt if they get deleted.
Oh, I scroll past a lot of stuff I'm not interested in too, but if it's pretty consistently stuff I don't wanna see is when I hide, not block (see below) them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post

Yes, "hiding" is what I meant.Thanks for the correction. Just a temporary thing or as permanent as you want it to be. Just keeps their posts from appearing on your feed. You can do this with applications (games etc) as well you're not interested in. Just hide them and then no one's posts concerning that will appear in your newsfeed.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:41 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,181 times
Quote:
If someone gets blocked, they might not realize they got blocked. If you search for someone's name and can't find them, you might just assume they deactivated their account.
Maybe, but I find blocking to be personal. I would not be offended if someone unfriended me, but I would feel bad if they blocked me. To me blocking is pretty much saying- you creep me out and I'm going to make it so we can never be friends again. I have blocked someone before because they kept interfering in my life and I wanted to send a message.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:42 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
. It's too bad there's not more people that think like you. Some people just don't realize that other people have feelings and their feelings might be hurt if they get deleted.
well I'm glad you finally found someone who shares your ideals about FB. I'm sorry I just couldn't be friends with someone who took Facebook that seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships