Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 01:56 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,806,695 times

Advertisements

Somehow my friend count went UP in the last day. I just deleted a few people, and now I have more than I had back then? I have it set to notify me when a friend accepts a request, but I didn't have any pending requests.... I need to check into this. I don't trust Facebook, and don't want people on my friends' list without my permission!

Old 08-24-2010, 02:08 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,346,500 times
I've cut back on mine. I realize I'd gotten addicted to updating my status via cell phone

Old 08-24-2010, 02:37 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,245,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy14 View Post
Somehow my friend count went UP in the last day. I just deleted a few people, and now I have more than I had back then? I have it set to notify me when a friend accepts a request, but I didn't have any pending requests.... I need to check into this. I don't trust Facebook, and don't want people on my friends' list without my permission!
You probably had friends who deactivated their accounts without warning, then reactivated them later. When someone deactivates, your number of friends goes down. When they reactivate, it goes back up. This is because they never removed you from their friends list. Deactivating just puts the account in a kind of dormancy, where you can't see the person or his or her posts (nor can they see yours), but you're still linked. It's not the same as deleting an account entirely.

I have a couple of friends who do that, so my friend count sometimes varies by one or two.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:35 PM

37,496 posts, read 45,805,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I seriously think you get a lot of crap with FB. We've never had problems with our computers until we started with FB. Whenever you add an application you are opening yourself to the possibility of viruses or someone hacking into your account as you share all your info with the third party. Sometimes I have to wonder if FB is really worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy14 View Post
Yeah, city_data91 was using some app that would alert you when someone unfriends you on Facebook, so he knew who to "confront". Then he posted a day or so ago that the app was discontinued, because people were complaining it's a violation of privacy (and several of his "friends" chose just that time to unfriend him, LOL. Coincidence?).

Apparently there are more out there, but I don't know anything about the spyware issue. I would not be surprised if it were the case, though. Facebook has been prone to viruses, so I'm wary of many apps, now. Yikes.
I have never used the apps, and I disable every single one that shows up on a friend's post. You should be just as vigilant using FB as you would using any other site on the internet.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:40 PM

37,496 posts, read 45,805,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
When I was first on FB it was kind of fun to find "anyone/everyone" I knew. Even if it was a brief acquaintance. Now, I feel differently now that I understand FB more. Especially since FB broadcasts your updates to everyone where it used to be a simple message wall.
Actually it broadcasts only to those that you have allowed. The security settings allow you complete control over who sees what. If you have not locked it down, then of course everyone can see your updates. Have you not checked the security settings??

Old 08-24-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have never used the apps, and I disable every single one that shows up on a friend's post. You should be just as vigilant using FB as you would using any other site on the internet.
It's almost a game in itself - hiding app updates from showing on your newsfeed. But I do it. Anytime I get some Sorority Life or whatever post, I click the "hide this app" button.

Would be great if the people that use all these apps in the first place would think to disable them from showing up on their friends' feeds in their OWN settings, but virtually nobody thinks to do that.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:25 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,153,596 times
I just deleted about 20 "friends" on Facebook. It felt really good. They were all people who never gave me the time of day in high school so I got rid of them. I should have never added them in the first place.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:28 AM

Yay, congrats!!

Old 08-29-2010, 12:33 AM

52,011 posts, read 52,464,357 times
This thread is funny, I've got some chick that I knew very very vaguely 20 yrs ago, and she's given me about 3 friend requests.

I've ignored them all.

At what point do you say.

F&*& off.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:40 AM

I've been suddenly besieged by random drive-thru friend-requests the last few weeks, wanting to "chat and get to know each other." I replied to one guy, "No, thank you", and he replied back "Why not?" I DO NOT KNOW YOU. I really need to explain that?!

Um, okay. Bye, now. Friend request DENIED.

I don't know how people do that - they just browse profile pics, or something? I mean, what's the success rate of that, if you're wanting to hook up? Pretty desperate looking, if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.